RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Of course, you would then have the option of changing to a set of 4.08s
Lol 4.08s would make 1st gear in the 6MT version of this car pretty much unusable outside of parking at Target.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Yup, the average Joe is not going to approach or even push the limits on this Sport car. The enthusiast will dial it in for show or go - probably a little of both.

Sad to say, there'll be some who will get bitten in the ass by doing something stupid, and no amount of LSD is gonna keep them from tragedy.

Just speculation, but the LSD is not the savior of idiots.
Yeah an average joe will push the limits of one of these... right into oncoming traffic.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981,550 mustang
Full review and content coming next week, but after spending 120 hours and 600 miles through So Cal, in various driving environments with the 2023 Sport (Base) 6MT Nissan Z, here’s our grades:

AREAS PERFORMING WELL:
Acceleration: A
Road Comfort: B-
Road Noise: B-
Interior Tech: B
Seat Comfort: C-
Exterior Body: A
Driver Engagement: B-
Nimbleness: A-
Gear Box: C
Cooling: B+
Light Spirited Driving/Handling: B (Intermediate Driver)
Electronic Steering Feel: B

UNDERPERFORMING: Under hard spirited driving, the car is under-braked, under-tired, and the gear box has a considerable amount of vibration. It’s not hard to overpower the braking and suspension with 400hp/350tq boosted, short wheelbase, 3,600lb. Understeer became relevant at many points in our testing of very spirited driving.

2 gripes with the Sport (Base) model: I would have loved syncrorev and gimme some damn t-tops! The t-tops are something we need to advocate for as an option for the 2024 year model.

All this said, stepping up to a Performance model gets you, better/electric seats (leather), larger wheels, better tires, larger sway bars (I think), an LSD (nice), syncrorev, larger touchscreen, front mini-splitter, rear spoiler and some other goodies.

SO, for 2022 and where we stand, all-in-all we think this is a solid car for the money. You’re getting all the dash tech, the full 400hp/350tq, and Nissan is leaving you a lot of headroom to improve to your liking in this entry level Z. Exceptionally mod friendly!

Be sure to follow ALL Fast Intentions socials, to keep up with all things coming on this car and the week we shared with it.
Great report.
When I first saw the specs on this car, my concerns about the brakes and traction first came to mind.
Small brakes on a 400HP/3500lb car with 56% of it's weight on the front wheels sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Likewise, no LSD makes control, either straight line acceleration or coming out of a turn, problematic--especially applying power coming out of a turn.
My suggestion to Nissan would be to add an LSD and some larger rotors in front just so a new owner that got carried away with the acceleration wouldn't find himself in trouble driving home from the dealership:).
Or, how about a perf. pack just for the sport? LSD, Rev match, brake kit from the performance model and perf. model suspension--say for $3k? Personally, I don't need all the other stuff in the Perf. package but the bigger brakes and LSD would really add value to this car.
Ford took this route with the Mustang Ecoboost; the Perf. Pack added the GT brrakes/suspension/ larger IC and higher numerical final drive for about $2k. BTW, even the base Ecoboost comes with LSD as standard.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
I'm sure in the near future Nissan will offer a Sport Trim with LSD, larger brakes, 19" wheels and rev match minus all the luxury features the Performance Trim includes.. much like the previous Base/Sport Trim offered on the 370Z. Probably why currently there's a huge price gap between the Sport and Performance Trims.. my guess is this Sport/Performance trim will sit right around 47K.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I'm sure in the near future Nissan will offer a Sport Trim with LSD, larger brakes, 19" wheels and rev match minus all the luxury features the Performance Trim includes.. much like the previous Base/Sport Trim offered on the 370Z. Probably why currently there's a huge price gap between the Sport and Performance Trims.. my guess is this Sport/Performance trim will sit right around 47K.
You're probably right on the price, and that's a shame. Akebonos, 19s, better tires and the LSD needn't cost $7-grand from the factory. In the past, the Z's gap between the base model and this sort of thing has been $5,000 or so. Less, if you're another manufacturer.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Near future? Not sure what that means anymore. I don't like what I've been reading, in terms of future vehicle availability and prices.

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
With the way the markets are going, and limited parts/production and availability. I can't see them making a 4th z car trim any time soon. Why make essentially 3 of every Z for market, when it's tough to even get the show on the road to begin with. I know everyone says oh it's easy, people will buy it, costs them nothing. But, in reality, something will have to give. They'd have to reconfigure the plant to build different configurations, which costs time and money. The sales volume on the Z is low to begin with, it literally makes zero sense to make multiple trims again. Either they ditch the base model, and focus solely on the mid tier and performance, but then that puts the base price higher and people will cry because it's still too expensive. Or maybe, add a future option of being able to special order a base with a LSD option, or the larger brakes, like an "Enthusiast package" or something.

I just can't see them trying to mass produce multiple trims, in hopes that they won't just sit unsold on the show room floors. I think for right now their goal is to just try and keep the Z alive, and get them on the roads when they can. Keep it simple, two platforms, different colours. Try and pump them out to meet demand, and keep us happy :D

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
Near future? Not sure what that means anymore. I don't like what I've been reading, in terms of future vehicle availability and prices.
Pretty sure within 2yrs a Sport/Performance Trim model will be available to slot in between. Everyone just got to be patient.. especially when it comes to niche vehicles. The whole industry is in a mess but that's not going to stop manufacturers from producing cars.. just slower. Prices who knows..? I cant really see it getting much worse than it is now.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
With the way the markets are going, and limited parts/production and availability. I can't see them making a 4th z car trim any time soon. Why make essentially 3 of every Z for market, when it's tough to even get the show on the road to begin with. I know everyone says oh it's easy, people will buy it, costs them nothing. But, in reality, something will have to give. They'd have to reconfigure the plant to build different configurations, which costs time and money.
Why would Nissan have to reconfigure the plant for another Trim? Pretty sure the Sport and Performance Trim are assembled on the same assembly line and certain parts (brakes, wheels, LSD, etc..) are installed according to the work order.

Either they ditch the base model, and focus solely on the mid tier and performance, but then that puts the base price higher and people will cry because it's still too expensive.
Nissan can't cancel the base Sports Trim because Nissan wants to keep that starting price of 40K. It's what will entice potential first time Z buyers.

Or maybe, add a future option of being able to special order a base with a LSD option, or the larger brakes, like an "Enthusiast package" or something.
I'm willing to bet Nissan has already planned to add a middle trim to slot in between the Sport and Performance Trim.. It just makes sense. Allowing the option to add an LSD or brakes on the base Sport Trim will effect sales of this middle Sports/Performance Trim.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
I just can't see them trying to mass produce multiple trims, in hopes that they won't just sit unsold on the show room floors. I think for right now their goal is to just try and keep the Z alive, and get them on the roads when they can. Keep it simple, two platforms, different colours. Try and pump them out to meet demand, and keep us happy :D
It’s worth considering though that they are offering a more traditional 4 trim structure for JDM, very similar to what was produced previously for the 370Z; so that suggests they have the fiscal & manufacturing capability to do so.

However I’d agree, Nissan’s likely focus is to employ the simplest, most efficient product configuration to get this car on the road swiftly...for the first model year.

I fully expect they’ll heed the feedback and offer more flexible packages/trims for 2024 and forward, as after the launch year they’ll have momentum n revenue so it’d be easier to make improvements.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I think we need to clarify, or parse out the difference between "LSD" and what Nissan is deploying in the Performance trim.
I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that Nissan is using an active clutch-based LSD in the new Z, as opposed to the previous failure-prone passive viscous LSD.
Judging by pics of the new diff, it looks EXPENSIVE. I don't think it's fair to keep presuming "Nissan could just include LSD on a lower trim" if they've settled on an active diff.

IMO, what Nissan could do, and they've used before, is offer an HLSD on the lower trims. HLSD are cheaper than active, more durable than viscous, and many people do like them. I believe Nissan employed them on 6MT Maximas and Sentra SE-Rs (and I have one in my Titan).

Also, we as customers can opt to have a HLSD installed aftermarket in the basic open diff case. I know some people are concerned about the reliability of that, but I had mine done during the pandemic and it's been super reliable, I'm not totally against getting a Sport Z and adding a HLSD aftermarket.......

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I think we need to clarify, or parse out the difference between "LSD" and what Nissan is deploying in the Performance trim.
I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that Nissan is using an active clutch-based LSD in the new Z, as opposed to the previous failure-prone passive viscous LSD.
Judging by pics of the new diff, it looks EXPENSIVE. I don't think it's fair to keep presuming "Nissan could just include LSD on a lower trim" if they've settled on an active diff.

IMO, what Nissan could do, and they've used before, is offer an HLSD on the lower trims. HLSD are cheaper than active, more durable than viscous, and many people do like them. I believe Nissan employed them on 6MT Maximas and Sentra SE-Rs (and I have one in my Titan).

Also, we as customers can opt to have a HLSD installed aftermarket in the basic open diff case. I know some people are concerned about the reliability of that, but I had mine done during the pandemic and it's been super reliable, I'm not totally against getting a Sport Z and adding a HLSD aftermarket.......
If you're referring to 'H' as in Helical, this is my only route as the toughest out there, Quaife, OS Giken to name a select few. No clutches or fluids to burn. Why the Sport is always the best starting point at its pricepoint. Been using Quaife with no issues over many track sessions.