RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I think it's also important to stress that Nissan is only building the Proto trim for MY23. That leaves only two confirmed trims going forward for MY24.

Given those are made in such a limited number, they're more expensive to make from an operational standpoint, thus defeating the monetary argument against them making something to sit between Sport and Performance. The Proto requires production of different exterior paint, wheel finish, and another full interior whereas an "Enthusiast" trim could be offered while requiring none of those.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
If you're referring to 'H' as in Helical, this is my only route as the toughest out there, Quaife, OS Giken to name a select few. No clutches or fluids to burn. Why the Sport is always the best starting point at its pricepoint. Been using Quaife with no issues over many track sessions.
I only ever used stock VLSD diff in my 370Z (and honestly never knew any better except that it is better than open diff... never experienced others for myself), but all my other 370Z buddies that went Quaife never stopped talking about how great they were.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I think it's also important to stress that Nissan is only building the Proto trim for MY23. That leaves only two confirmed trims going forward for MY24.

Given those are made in such a limited number, they're more expensive to make from an operational standpoint, thus defeating the monetary argument against them making something to sit between Sport and Performance. The Proto requires production of different exterior paint, wheel finish, and another full interior whereas an "Enthusiast" trim could be offered while requiring none of those.
Maybe….in Australia once the Proto goes we only have one trim..that is normal for us, maybe they wanted to see if they could get away with less options in the rest of the world too.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
If you're referring to 'H' as in Helical, this is my only route as the toughest out there, Quaife, OS Giken to name a select few. No clutches or fluids to burn. Why the Sport is always the best starting point at its pricepoint. Been using Quaife with no issues over many track sessions.
Yup. H=Helical.
I have an Eaton TruTrac in my Titan, it greatly improved the off-road abilities of my truck and eliminated one-wheel-peels.
I can see how in daily driving it'd be slightly less refined than an e-LSD, but it functions predictably and they don't wear out.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Maybe….in Australia once the Proto goes we only have one trim..that is normal for us, maybe they wanted to see if they could get away with less options in the rest of the world too.
Most of the rest of the world won't let them sell this car due to emissions or a litany of other environmental laws.

I truly think the initial trim deployment of the car is a combination of economic forces (supply chain issues from pandemic and Ukraine conflict) and the subsequent limited production capacity paired with Nissan's overall financial state. Once things settle down, they may well add the trims. I believe the company decided the trims they did put out were the most cost effective way to launch the car until supply chains can normalize.

They've reduced available configurations of ALL of the vehicles they've launched or revised in the United States since 2020. At first, I noticed it with the Titan, but chalked that up to slow sales. Then I saw it with the Frontier, Altima, Rogue, and Z - they have no trouble selling Rogues. On the Infiniti side, they've consolidated trim offerings for the QX80 and overall availability of the Infiniti QX60 is horrific.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Most of the rest of the world won't let them sell this car due to emissions or a litany of other environmental laws.

I truly think the initial trim deployment of the car is a combination of economic forces (supply chain issues from pandemic and Ukraine conflict) and the subsequent limited production capacity paired with Nissan's overall financial state. Once things settle down, they may well add the trims. I believe the company decided the trims they did put out were the most cost effective way to launch the car until supply chains can normalize.

They've reduced available configurations of ALL of the vehicles they've launched or revised in the United States since 2020. At first, I noticed it with the Titan, but chalked that up to slow sales. Then I saw it with the Frontier, Altima, Rogue, and Z - they have no trouble selling Rogues. On the Infiniti side, they've consolidated trim offerings for the QX80 and overall availability of the Infiniti QX60 is horrific.
That’s exactly my point though….perhaps they are trying less models to maximise profit. They aren’t doing great financially and they need to make every dollar count. They get away with just 1 model elsewhere, so they could well be trying to get away with less everywhere else as well. When you have more models you just spread your buyers out, but in general you keep almost the same buyers which then optimises profits with less trims being made.

Who knows, maybe they will release another trim. My feeling for what it’s worth….they will release a Nismo and the performance will become the middle trim

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981,550 mustang
Full review and content coming next week, but after spending 120 hours and 600 miles through So Cal, in various driving environments with the 2023 Sport (Base) 6MT Nissan Z, here’s our grades:

AREAS PERFORMING WELL:
Acceleration: A
Road Comfort: B-
Road Noise: B-
Interior Tech: B
Seat Comfort: C-
Exterior Body: A
Driver Engagement: B-
Nimbleness: A-
Gear Box: C
Cooling: B+
Light Spirited Driving/Handling: B (Intermediate Driver)
Electronic Steering Feel: B

UNDERPERFORMING: Under hard spirited driving, the car is under-braked, under-tired, and the gear box has a considerable amount of vibration. It’s not hard to overpower the braking and suspension with 400hp/350tq boosted, short wheelbase, 3,600lb. Understeer became relevant at many points in our testing of very spirited driving.

2 gripes with the Sport (Base) model: I would have loved syncrorev and gimme some damn t-tops! The t-tops are something we need to advocate for as an option for the 2024 year model.

All this said, stepping up to a Performance model gets you, better/electric seats (leather), larger wheels, better tires, larger sway bars (I think), an LSD (nice), syncrorev, larger touchscreen, front mini-splitter, rear spoiler and some other goodies.

SO, for 2022 and where we stand, all-in-all we think this is a solid car for the money. You’re getting all the dash tech, the full 400hp/350tq, and Nissan is leaving you a lot of headroom to improve to your liking in this entry level Z. Exceptionally mod friendly!

Be sure to follow ALL Fast Intentions socials, to keep up with all things coming on this car and the week we shared with it.
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen anything on the stock tire on the sport model, other than size.
What tire is standard on the Sport model?
Thanks..

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Yokohama Advan Sports

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Who knows, maybe they will release another trim. My feeling for what it’s worth….they will release a Nismo and the performance will become the middle trim
That's possible in some markets where the Z has traditionally had very few trims but I don't see it happening in North America. I'm betting that we'll eventually get the other two JDM trims since Nissan is already showing the willingness to produce those. And the Nismo, of course, which will probably cost as much as a Corvette, based upon current trends.