jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
The Middle Eastern spec Z's matched the Canadian ones with the 8" Nav and the one back up light. I wonder if some of them got rerouted there
Very possible or just same spec. Im saying these were actually sold in canada and imported/shipped to the destination

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Very possible or just same spec. Im saying these were actually sold in canada and imported/shipped to the destination
Can confirm this happened to one Z I know of
And 1 MJ GTR T-Spec

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Manual or not, price points do matter for 'affordable' sports cars in these times, customer base impacted:

Toyota GR Supra sales struggled in 2023, as Toyota sold almost half the number it did the previous year despite the addition of a manual transmission option.

Toyota on Wednesday reported sales numbers for the past 12 months and the Supra's tally for the U.S. market was just 2,652 units, down 46.4% versus the 4,952 units sold in 2022.

It wasn't because sports cars have fallen out of favor, as U.S. sales of the Mazda MX-5 Miata its U.S. rose by almost the same amount, growing 45.4% versus the previous year to end 2023 with 8,937 units sold.

Sales of Toyota's GR86 were also down in the U.S., though it dropped just 7.7% to 11,078 units.

The Supra's poor performance in the market is made more shocking considering Toyota's overall U.S. sales for 2023 actually increased 6.6% to 2,248,477 units.

While Toyota finally added a manual transmission to the Supra, it also raised prices by roughly $900 with the transition to the 2024 model year.

Toyota Supra sales down 46% despite manual gearbox's arrival (motorauthority.com)

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
they are still backordered like crazy in japan as well.

I read a Japanese Article last night about the frustration with this saying that preorder fulfillment is only around 80-90 cars per month.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Manual or not, price points do matter for 'affordable' sports cars in these times, customer base impacted:

Toyota GR Supra sales struggled in 2023, as Toyota sold almost half the number it did the previous year despite the addition of a manual transmission option.

Toyota on Wednesday reported sales numbers for the past 12 months and the Supra's tally for the U.S. market was just 2,652 units, down 46.4% versus the 4,952 units sold in 2022.

It wasn't because sports cars have fallen out of favor, as U.S. sales of the Mazda MX-5 Miata its U.S. rose by almost the same amount, growing 45.4% versus the previous year to end 2023 with 8,937 units sold.

Sales of Toyota's GR86 were also down in the U.S., though it dropped just 7.7% to 11,078 units.

The Supra's poor performance in the market is made more shocking considering Toyota's overall U.S. sales for 2023 actually increased 6.6% to 2,248,477 units.

While Toyota finally added a manual transmission to the Supra, it also raised prices by roughly $900 with the transition to the 2024 model year.

Toyota Supra sales down 46% despite manual gearbox's arrival (motorauthority.com)
So, where's all of the unsold Supras at?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Well, my point is sales are down because manufacturing of these cars is purposely limited.

Stories about a slump in car sales for a certain model can be misleading. I highly doubt demand is down....well, I'll admit, demand for MARKUPS and ADD-ONS and high interest rates are likely down....
But, if they made enough of these cars and sold them at slightly below MSRP, as it should be, they'd sell more.
Now we have high interest rates, so my theory doesn't hold, I'll admit. But, the interest rates will subdue sales across the board.

Gonna suck trying to maintain these cars 10+ years out when there's not that many to begin with. Parts manufacturers will either jack up prices for a rare model, or not make parts at all, and junkyards/recyclers won't have many to pick from. I kind of wouldn't want a Z at this point.

Back in the day I bought a lease-return Acura Vigor. Look that car up. You don't see them anymore. They had better sales numbers than the Z, but parts were hard to get even in the mid-90's, after the car was discontinued. In 1996, someone busted my window out (left an empty wallet on the seat) and it cost me $500 for a window, and I had to wait 2 weeks to get it in. Back then, a window was under $200 for most cars.

I recently bought a mint condition 1992 Acura Vigor to tinker with...finding parts for that car in 2019 was super difficult. Because of "Cash for Clunkers" and the super low production numbers, it's nearly impossible to maintain a car like that. I fear the new Z will meet the same fate long term.
Heck, my 2007 Titan and 2014 Q60 were already having significant amounts of the OEM parts discontinued from Nissan/Infiniti, forcing me to buy used or aftermarket. And those aren't rare cars!

Z06fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chevrolet SS Sedan, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
entrepreneur

Interesting comments from the readers in that article. The Supra appearance seems to be a car some of us really like, and others really hate. My only concern in buying one would be the BMW reliability.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Well, my point is sales are down because manufacturing of these cars is purposely limited.

Stories about a slump in car sales for a certain model can be misleading. I highly doubt demand is down....well, I'll admit, demand for MARKUPS and ADD-ONS and high interest rates are likely down....
But, if they made enough of these cars and sold them at slightly below MSRP, as it should be, they'd sell more.
Now we have high interest rates, so my theory doesn't hold, I'll admit. But, the interest rates will subdue sales across the board.
It'll be great to dig up sales numbers against production numbers, 2022 vs 2023. You're correct the markups and dealer greed killed volume, among other economy factors. But it's the pricepoint of these cars nudging close to $60K does not construe interest and hence volume. Again, look at the Miata, doing well at $30-35K. If Nissan at least enforces MSRP for the Z I bet so many will be happy to own one, even if via pre-orders, a moot point now. Those here that have gotten theirs at MSRP are pretty happy I'd say.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It'll be great to dig up sales numbers against production numbers, 2022 vs 2023. You're correct the markups and dealer greed killed volume, among other economy factors. But it's the pricepoint of these cars nudging close to $60K does not construe interest and hence volume. Again, look at the Miata, doing well at $30-35K. If Nissan at least enforces MSRP for the Z I bet so many will be happy to own one, even if via pre-orders, a moot point now. Those here that have gotten theirs at MSRP are pretty happy I'd say.
Nissan intentionally under-produces the Sport Z model to increase per-unit profits. I heard that the Sport is only 10% or less of all Z's?

At $44K I find the Sport to be an excellent value. The only bummer being an open diff, but you could remedy that at a later date. Also, the brakes aren't Akebono's, but that's not a big deal as Akebono's aren't even that good anyways. If Nissan made more Sports, the Z might sell more overall. They are being greedy, they designed the car we mostly want, then intentionally do things to make it hard to obtain, whilst dangling "affordability" in front of us in the form of a model they don't want to make. Eff them.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Gonna suck trying to maintain these cars 10+ years out when there's not that many to begin with. Parts manufacturers will either jack up prices for a rare model, or not make parts at all, and junkyards/recyclers won't have many to pick from. I kind of wouldn't want a Z at this point.
I've always tried to avoid uncommon cars, my thinking has been exactly this: finding parts for a rare car will be hard, and I typically like to keep my cars for 10ish years.

That was one reason I ended up choosing the Z. I wasn't expecting Corolla volumes, but I didn't think it would end up being as rare as it seems. I thought it would be common enough that parts would be readily available. I hope that turns out to be the case.

It's early in the 2024 model year, and it seems that Nissan has resolved some of the production issues, so it'll be interesting to see where this all goes.

Z06fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chevrolet SS Sedan, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
entrepreneur
My "garage queen" is a Chevrolet SS which is really just a rebadged Holden Commodore imported from Australia. These are great cars that few know about, especially with the manual transmission. Even though GM shut Holden down only 6+ years ago in 2017, some parts for these cars are already getting harder to find and owners are starting to sell because of parts concerns. Unfortunately, I agree that this will likely be an issue with both the Supra and Z in the future.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My "garage queen" is a Chevrolet SS which is really just a rebadged Holden Commodore imported from Australia. These are great cars that few know about, especially with the manual transmission. Even though GM shut Holden down only 6+ years ago in 2017, some parts for these cars are already getting harder to find and owners are starting to sell because of parts concerns. Unfortunately, I agree that this will likely be an issue with both the Supra and Z in the future.
I really like the V8 Pontiac G8 that came before.

Just realized, despite those being a 21st century car, I don't see them anymore

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)

Back in the day I bought a lease-return Acura Vigor. Look that car up. You don't see them anymore. They had better sales numbers than the Z, but parts were hard to get even in the mid-90's, after the car was discontinued. In 1996, someone busted my window out (left an empty wallet on the seat) and it cost me $500 for a window, and I had to wait 2 weeks to get it in. Back then, a window was under $200 for most cars.

I recently bought a mint condition 1992 Acura Vigor to tinker with...finding parts for that car in 2019 was super difficult. Because of "Cash for Clunkers" and the super low production numbers, it's nearly impossible to maintain a car like that. I fear the new Z will meet the same fate long term.
Heck, my 2007 Titan and 2014 Q60 were already having significant amounts of the OEM parts discontinued from Nissan/Infiniti, forcing me to buy used or aftermarket. And those aren't rare cars!
Yeah no doubt demand is far exceeding supply with the Z and Supra. So many people still waiting which fkin sucks. In 2019 right before covid i wanted a Subi STI and was able to order one and have it in my driveway in a matter of weeks lol. Oh the memories.....