Why the long delay in pricing?

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Hopefully all the info gets released after this new york auto show. But im not feeling optimistic about it. What a flop of a release honestly mid april with nothing given to us directly from nissan since august.

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
Issues with suppliers and chip shortages are holding up the Z and countless other vehicles. Inflation is causing prices to go up basically every day. The Performance Z will be around $51K or so due to this in my estimation.

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
Let me help people "plan"

Expect to pay minimum $50k for base, $60k for Performance 6MT. Add $2500 for 9AT. Bring another $5k for the greedier dealers. All before taxes/fees

This will be the norm until 2025MY.
$70k for a glorified 370Z ? Nissan and Nissan dealerships are smoking crack if they think this car is worth more than $50k

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Something interesting/ alarming that I did pick up on in an article is this statement

“Nissan dealer information obtained by Japanese website Creative Trend shows the new Z – badged Fairlady Z in its home market, per all prior Z cars – will be priced from 5,241,500 Japanese yen ($AU57,400) for the unnamed base model, rising up to 6,966,300 yen ($AU76,300) for the Proto Spec limited edition”

now this is something we knew, but did anybody take the time to actually look at the difference between the base to proto?
An almost 19k difference!
In the US this would equate to 14k

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this price jump, given what is in the car is totally unjustifiable?

This is the article, I’m not really concerned at their guesstimates as to what the AU price will be, because as we have already discussed there are many variables when going from one market to the next….but the straight conversion to show what the difference means for a released price In Japan is really quite alarming, and something that I didn’t really think about until now🤷‍♀️

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-nissan-z-may-cost-au65000-leaked-japanese-prices-hint-report/

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Something interesting/ alarming that I did pick up on in an article is this statement

“Nissan dealer information obtained by Japanese website Creative Trend shows the new Z – badged Fairlady Z in its home market, per all prior Z cars – will be priced from 5,241,500 Japanese yen ($AU57,400) for the unnamed base model, rising up to 6,966,300 yen ($AU76,300) for the Proto Spec limited edition”

now this is something we knew, but did anybody take the time to actually look at the difference between the base to proto?

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this price jump, given what is in the car is totally unjustifiable?

This is the article, I’m not really concerned at their guesstimates as to what the AU price will be, because as we have already discussed there are many variables when going from one market to the next….but the straight conversion to show what the difference means for a released price In Japan is really quite alarming, and something that I didn’t really think about until now🤷‍♀️

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-nissan-z-may-cost-au65000-leaked-japanese-prices-hint-report/

On some vehicles here in the USA, the price difference between the base and fully loaded version, can be substantial. For example, the Ford Bronco base vehicle comes in around 30k. But optioned out, the upscale version can get close to 60k, nearly double the base!

In some ways, I like that approach to options and pricing. Because it can allow the manufacturer to offer a low price entry model, while still catering to the upscale customers. The manufacturer might not make much off the base buyers, but can make up for it from the upscale buyers. (Kind of like subsidizing the base buyers.)

Problem comes in when the base is missing a key attribute. In case of the Z, the LSD differential. :(

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer

We al knew the limited edition Proto spec was going to be priced higher. I'm not sure we can use that as a valid comparison since few people will be able to purchase one.

If my math is correct, the Performance spec (Japan's ST trim) will be around $AU 70,800 going by the difference in pricing according to the Creative Trend site referenced in the article. I realize pricing will be different according to the market, but I feel this is a more valid comparison between the base and Performance trims.

The NA market Sport trom seems to have features from a couple JDM trims, so I would put the bottom number quoted in the article a bit higher. This works out to about $7k difference between the Sport and Performance trims and $5k or so more for the Proto.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
We al knew the limited edition Proto spec was going to be priced higher. I'm not sure we can use that as a valid comparison since few people will be able to purchase one.

If my math is correct, the Performance spec (Japan's ST trim) will be around $AU 70,800 going by the difference in pricing according to the Creative Trend site referenced in the article. I realize pricing will be different according to the market, but I feel this is a more valid comparison between the base and Performance trims.

The NA market Sport trom seems to have features from a couple JDM trims, so I would put the bottom number quoted in the article a bit higher. This works out to about $7k difference between the Sport and Performance trims and $5k or so more for the Proto.
But the Proto has different rims, a few badges and stitching ….I don’t believe that’s worth even a 5k mark up.

Each to their own I suppose. Personally I’m happy with the yellow non proto, and given how popular the proto is tye performance may actually become more limited than the Proto…in Aus at least 🤣

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic

man i hope money conversion is off a bit cause so that would put the perf spec at 50k thats pretty high up there from the 45-47 price range people have been talking about

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
man i hope money conversion is off a bit cause so that would put the perf spec at 50k thats pretty high up there from the 45-47 price range people have been talking about
Nah, don’t worry about the actual price, Australia and Japan are always a lot higher than currency conversion to US.
I was more just drawn to the difference in models

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Nah, don’t worry about the actual price, Australia and Japan are always a lot higher than currency conversion to US.
I was more just drawn to the difference in models
lol i was about to say that what i was offered for a new m240i

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
But the Proto has different rims, a few badges and stitching ….I don’t believe that’s worth even a 5k mark up.

Each to their own I suppose. Personally I’m happy with the yellow non proto, and given how popular the proto is tye performance may actually become more limited than the Proto…in Aus at least 🤣
I think once these cars hit the secondary market, you'll see an even larger price difference between the Proto and the other trims just because it is a limited edition.

In the end, these cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. If people decide an additional 5k is too much for the Proto, they won't sell and the stealership will need to drop the price. But I really don't foresee that happening.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I think once these cars hit the secondary market, you'll see an even larger price difference between the Proto and the other trims just because it is a limited edition.

In the end, these cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. If people decide an additional 5k is too much for the Proto, they won't sell and the stealership will need to drop the price. But I really don't foresee that happening.
Not too sure about that…you would think so, but my Peugeot RCZ type R was more limited than the Z will be …only 500 world wide made.
it only commanded 5k difference 7 years later, and by then the number that had survived had almost halved ( had an issue with their motors) Difference in them was the spoiler, wheels, stiching, badging and seats …very similar