First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Performance. Yes, stock tires, they were ok, starting giving up when pushed hard. I think better tires and some sway bars would tighten things up. For this price point, it would be nice to have an adjustable suspension.
How did the stock brakes hold up at the track, how many sessions? Fluids changed? Normally first things I address for stockers, better pads and high temp brake fluid, then tires. Susp upgrade, alignment and tuning after all that.

flyrchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performance
How did the stock brakes hold up at the track, how many sessions? Fluids changed? Normally first things I address for stockers, better pads and high temp brake fluid, then tires. Susp upgrade, alignment and tuning after all that.
The brakes did amazing, I did 4 sessions a day for two days, probably about 10 laps each session and never had felt any signs of fading or mushiness. I agree on the tires, I have read several places the Bridgestones that come stock are not the best tires for this car.

By far the best asset on this car is the engine. It just never quits producing power, throughout the whole rev range. On a more vain note, I am also enjoying the 'rarity' of the car. I have not seen a single one on the road around my community since I got in last May. I drove it out to Colorado for some mountain driving and never saw a single other one in the 2200 miles. I get lots of questions about it.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
...On a more vain note, I am also enjoying the 'rarity' of the car. I have not seen a single one on the road around my community since I got in last May. I drove it out to Colorado for some mountain driving and never saw a single other one in the 2200 miles. I get lots of questions about it.
Another reason the Z still draws me in, not many at all roaming the streets. That alone is worth a few grins everywhere, plus being a Z fan forever, it's very cool. I may just keep the Cayman S for full track duty and get the Z for trips, clubs, cruises, it's good enough for that. šŸ˜Š

Or GroupZ events up our mtn roads.

1710256851360.jpeg

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 BMW M240i, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Another reason the Z still draws me in, not many at all roaming the streets. That alone is worth a few grins everywhere, plus being a Z fan forever, it's very cool. I may just keep the Cayman S for full track duty and get the Z for trips, clubs, cruises, it's good enough for that. šŸ˜Š

Or GroupZ events up our mtn roads.

1710256851360.jpeg
That was also one of my favorite things about owning one. I loved the conversations it started. From middle aged guys approaching me to tell me about their early Z Cars, to curious teens and 20 somethingā€™s. That was one of the most enjoyable aspects of owning the Z. LOVE that blue Restomod BTW. Hopefully once the detached garage is completed, I can add a restomod myself to the fold.

Vintage

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rubicon
Beautiful BMW Congrats ! Excellent write up and I do get what you mean about the the honey moon period. When I feel like the honey moon is about to come to a end, I park one for a week and take the other one out. It's like having two girlfriends, lol.

noname.jpg

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Interesting. Iā€™ve never had an issue with mine and I use it all the time. Smooth as silk
This is the first MT car I've owned with hill hold (out of 10, dating back mumbly-something decades), so maybe I just haven't adapted yet, but I find hill hold often holds me back when I could be moving. It seems like I have to give more power than I expect to overcome the brakes. I'd rather just roll back a tad and overcome gravity. Personal opinion. YMMV.

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
This is the first MT car I've owned with hill hold (out of 10, dating back mumbly-something decades), so maybe I just haven't adapted yet, but I find hill hold often holds me back when I could be moving. It seems like I have to give more power than I expect to overcome the brakes. I'd rather just roll back a tad and overcome gravity. Personal opinion. YMMV.
šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤™šŸ½

zpro_fast

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Manual
A good set of coils makes the Z a totally different car.

Despite that, no one can argue with anything you have said about comparisons to other cars. The Z is disappointing flawed in some ways.

In Australia, those other options you mentioned are considerably more expensive than the Z here. Which makes it make more sense.

From a value point of view itā€™s a very attractive proposition here in AUS.

Thereā€™s not a lot of stock (other than yellow) around, just enough to satiate the Z purists I would think.

For me, the new Z is like a gift from Nissan. Iā€™ve been a Z club member for so many years with older Zā€™s. All of them had issues when new also.

The thing is, every Z is an icon. Even the Shizen ones. And damn they are sexy (mostly).

I look at my new Z and it reminds me of my 300zx, 350z and the 240 I always wanted but could never afford. Itā€™s such an emotional car for me.

There are always better cars, that is true even for the incredible M2/3/4. Thereā€™s even a new GT3 RS every few years.

I think the Z has always been a flawed, beautiful and fun as hell car for reasonable money.

At least thatā€™s what it is for me and thatā€™s why I love it.

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A good set of coils makes the Z a totally different car.

Despite that, no one can argue with anything you have said about comparisons to other cars. The Z is disappointing flawed in some ways.

In Australia, those other options you mentioned are considerably more expensive than the Z here. Which makes it make more sense.

From a value point of view itā€™s a very attractive proposition here in AUS.

Thereā€™s not a lot of stock (other than yellow) around, just enough to satiate the Z purists I would think.

For me, the new Z is like a gift from Nissan. Iā€™ve been a Z club member for so many years with older Zā€™s. All of them had issues when new also.

The thing is, every Z is an icon. Even the Shizen ones. And damn they are sexy (mostly).

I look at my new Z and it reminds me of my 300zx, 350z and the 240 I always wanted but could never afford. Itā€™s such an emotional car for me.

There are always better cars, that is true even for the incredible M2/3/4. Thereā€™s even a new GT3 RS every few years.

I think the Z has always been a flawed, beautiful and fun as hell car for reasonable money.

At least thatā€™s what it is for me and thatā€™s why I love it.
I cant fault you there. Specifically with the pricing differences in AUS. Here in the states, a fully optioned Z start encroaching on C8 territory.

I can agree that the z feels like a gift in a way from Nissan. Really any 2 seat sports car running on petrol these days is a gift.

I looked at my Z the same way. It reminded me of the early Zs I always wanted and the 350 I got when I had my first ā€œreal jobā€ that I loved. That nostalgia, the people flagging me down in parking lots both young and old to talk to me about the car - was the best thing about the Z.

Im not so sure in its Preformance Trims, I consider it reasonable money any longer with the other options available at least Statesideā€¦.BUT you and I are in 100% agreement in that it is a beauty. Im glad they made it. Im glad the fans got a chance to experience it again - and Im happy for those out there that get to keep living the Z dream :)

zpro_fast

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Manual
It seems like we are in a little bit of a golden age of car culture. I mean the 90s was good, but I was too young to enjoy that properly.

I love that there are so many options for so many types at the moment. All of the new sports cars are just great in different ways.

Get in an older sports car and you realise how lucky we are today. The new M240i is such an incredible car, you get in a 2000 M3 and its just night and day.

I did a track day recently with a guy in a new M2, it was a rocket.

Older cars were too analog, future cars will be too tech heavy (looking at you 2024 Mustang) or electric. Today we have a really nice balance.

Hoorah for all cars!

OP
OP
mtjohnson

mtjohnson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It seems like we are in a little bit of a golden age of car culture. I mean the 90s was good, but I was too young to enjoy that properly.

I love that there are so many options for so many types at the moment. All of the new sports cars are just great in different ways.

Get in an older sports car and you realise how lucky we are today. The new M240i is such an incredible car, you get in a 2000 M3 and its just night and day.

I did a track day recently with a guy in a new M2, it was a rocket.

Older cars were too analog, future cars will be too tech heavy (looking at you 2024 Mustang) or electric. Today we have a really nice balance.

Hoorah for all cars!
Very true! I drove an M2 and it was an incredible machine. I just couldnā€™t see myself driving it dailyā€¦.but tracking it?!??? Oh yes!!