LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Yeah interesting decision to run a manual against a auto. Probably had limited availability of press cars. Also surprised at the digs at the Z’s interior but praise for the Supras… the interior of the Supra was the biggest drawback for me when purchasing since it was identical to the 2015 4 series I was trading in for it. Sure it’s good quality… but it’s a decade old parts bin mish mash.

Doesn’t matter to me though. Still want the Z and swapping out the stock tires with PS4s isn’t a big deal (planning to do the same on the Supra eventually) and let’s not get down on the numbers themselves. IMO performance is on par with the Supra and I’m sure stickier tires will help the Z.
This is a stupid comparison,and is totally meaningless.They should be comparing auto to auto but it is C&D and this magazine has had no credibility for a long time.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I am still wondering why everyone is blaming the tires on the Z for it being slower and not holding the Gs that the Supra does. Z tires = 240 treadwear. Supra tires = 280 treadwear. Typically (but not in all cases) the lower treadwear, the stickier the tire. The fact is, both cars come with terrible tires.
Because the Bridgestones are absolute trash compared to arguably the best street tire available. Take treadwear with a grain of salt, especially when it's a different manufacturer's tire.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
does all nissans line up come with bridge stones, maybe thats why they have a contract

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Because the Bridgestones are absolute trash compared to arguably the best street tire available. Take treadwear with a grain of salt, especially when it's a different manufacturer's tire.
Wait, are you saying the stock Supra tires are the best street tire out there? If so, I have to highly disagree with you. I have pirelli p zeros on one of my other cars and they are by far a better tire than the Supras, in every way.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Wait, are you saying the stock Supra tires are the best street tire out there? If so, I have to highly disagree with you. I have pirelli p zeros on one of my other cars and they are by far a better tire than the Supras, in every way.
Yeaaaaaa, no. Sorry dawg, P Zeros are not that great. They are a far cry from the best street tire.

The stock tire on 5th gen Camaros was the PZero. Check out those forums for the truth. They're mediocre at best compared to the PS2s

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
does all nissans line up come with bridge stones, maybe thats why they have a contract
My Q60 came with Bridgestone tires, and they suck. I kept thinking there was something wrong with my car when I bought it, I kept taking it in for wandering. And, even though my Q60 is AWD, I could get it to do AWD burnout just by mashing the accelerator. Not gonna comment on handling, the car is a pig, no way around it.

Put Continental DWS06 on it, far better! And they're a winter optimized all season.

Anyways, I'm happy with the Z results.
However, the acceleration deficit and exhaust difference compared to the 9AT have me seriously reconsidering my 6MT preference

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Probably better than the 007s.

We should have an option for Cup 2s 🤠
PSC2s came OEM on my PP2 GT and I still track them, great grip but don't last long and are NOT recommended for wet or icy conditions. Still better are the GY F1 Supercar 3Rs but those are very low treadwear with awesome grip, came on the ZL1 1LE. I guess we can always go nuts with tires...

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
I am still wondering why everyone is blaming the tires on the Z for it being slower and not holding the Gs that the Supra does. Z tires = 240 treadwear. Supra tires = 280 treadwear. Typically (but not in all cases) the lower treadwear, the stickier the tire. The fact is, both cars come with terrible tires.
As someone else mentioned here, treadwear is probably not a good metric to compare grip capability among tires; it’s just meant to measure relative rate of wear. You’d have to compare the quality of compound and tread pattern/contact patch between the two. It also seems like the PS4Ss get better reviews than S007s.

But regardless of the actual differences between the two tires, it’s clear from the driving reviews that Nissan’s selection is inadequate for the Z, with the wheel spin through first few gears on launches, constant squeal during cornering n braking, etc. The extra weight is also a factor in the difference in braking n cornering Gs, but I think a better tire would make a significant difference.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
PSC2s came OEM on my PP2 GT and I still track them, great grip but don't last long and are NOT recommended for wet or icy conditions. Still better are the GY F1 Supercar 3Rs but those are very low treadwear with awesome grip, came on the ZL1 1LE. I guess we can always go nuts with tires...
I have F1s on my 1LE. Scary shit in the wet though 😂

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Supra comes with MPSS stock. P Zeros have no shot against MPSS. MPSS is arguably the best street tire in existence.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Those results look good to me. It seems about right if you consider the supra is 10% more expensive, they chose to pit the 6MT Z against the auto Supra on pure numbers, and the known tyre difference.