Clutch life expectations

TwinZurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
I'm considering the Nismo twin disc clutch but I'm curious if I'm just being upsold.
I'm tuned to run 18psi with a lower DP, intakes, exhaust. The sale pitch was that I was going to wear it out from how fast the power comes on, not just how much power is being delivered.
I'm only at around 450 ftlbs of torque.

Anyone else see the need to replace or had a clutch start wearing out fast?

I couldn't find many specs on the OEM Exedy clutch regarding torque ratings.

Anyone running the twin disc clutch?

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z Performance 6MT and many more...
Occupation
Hospitality Management
No telling. Who knows? Maybe the original clutch will keep lasting you but maybe wait until it starts faltering / falters?

In the past, I replaced my clutch on my '06 Evo IX when the clutch started to go out after ecu tune, full exhaust, and ebc... I replaced it after the clutch went out, of course. And then the transmission started going out... Yikes...

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
Yea I would wait until it actually starts failing to do anything there.

If it starts slipping you should have plenty of time to just baby it until you can get it replaced.

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'05 G35, '92 G20, '23 Nissan Z
I went for the Nismo clutch right away. This car has a lot of rev hang due to the incredibly heavy clutch/flywheel assembly it comes with. It's a performance modification all on its own. I documented this more here: https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/nismo-flywheel-weight.1739/.

Long-story short, I would HIGHLY recommend. Significantly improves the drivability, especially as you're turning up the power.

OP
OP
TwinZurbo

TwinZurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
I went for the Nismo clutch right away. This car has a lot of rev hang due to the incredibly heavy clutch/flywheel assembly it comes with. It's a performance modification all on its own. I documented this more here: https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/nismo-flywheel-weight.1739/.

Long-story short, I would HIGHLY recommend. Significantly improves the drivability, especially as you're turning up the power.

Great read, really appreciate it. I'm going to ask about tuning out the rev hang.
I found Uniclutch. They have an anti-chatter claim I'll be looking into someday!

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan z performance 6MT

What is your idle at with the Nismo street clutch and flywheel ?
I have upgraded z1 bb turbos with z1 turbosmart BOV kit
Parked in neutral I rev it and rpm’s drop and car stalls ?
my idle is below 1000 rpm like 600 I believe
My friend said to bump the idle up to 1000 because of the lighter flywheel ?

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'05 G35, '92 G20, '23 Nissan Z
What is your idle at with the Nismo street clutch and flywheel ?
I have upgraded z1 bb turbos with z1 turbosmart BOV kit
Parked in neutral I rev it and rpm’s drop and car stalls ?
my idle is below 1000 rpm like 600 I believe
My friend said to bump the idle up to 1000 because of the lighter flywheel ?
My idle is around 600-800 as well. Never ever had it stall though. I’d bump it up a bit like your friend said. Maybe try 800 and then 1000 if that still doesn’t work? If I recall you’re also running flex fuel as well so that may be related. Ethanol is less dense energy-wise so the low flow rate at idle might not be enough to sustain 600 rpm with your build.

Ali023

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan z performance 6MT
My idle is around 600-800 as well. Never ever had it stall though. I’d bump it up a bit like your friend said. Maybe try 800 and then 1000 if that still doesn’t work? If I recall you’re also running flex fuel as well so that may be related. Ethanol is less dense energy-wise so the low flow rate at idle might not be enough to sustain 600 rpm with your build.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking bumping up the idle
Fbo e85 big turbos injectors etc ..
My tuner gonna bump it up to 1000

RedWinterZ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Silverado Trail Boss, 2023 Nissan Z
Same FBO set up here as yours. Been looking at the aftermarket clutches but am fine waiting (years) for it to give me a hint.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
So, the Exedy is the weak link on the manual?

" The problem for me lies with the Exedy clutch, which is supposedly designed for high performance. The clutch pedal itself feels too light, the travel is too long, and it's hard to feel where the bite point is. As a result, shifting smoothly is nearly impossible "

Driven: 2024 Nissan Z Is A Misunderstood Beast | CarBuzz

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
So, the Exedy is the weak link on the manual?

" The problem for me lies with the Exedy clutch, which is supposedly designed for high performance. The clutch pedal itself feels too light, the travel is too long, and it's hard to feel where the bite point is. As a result, shifting smoothly is nearly impossible "

Driven: 2024 Nissan Z Is A Misunderstood Beast | CarBuzz
"Shifting smoothly is nearly impossible" lol thats bullshit. Its also not hard to find the bite point. I wonder about some of these articles.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z Performance 6MT and many more...
Occupation
Hospitality Management
Nice read. I can understand their perspective.