West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yeah, not trying to knock it but to me it just looks like it's trying way too hard. If I was given one I would sell it and get a few cars that I really want. I guess in general, even with supercars, I prefer ones more on the elegant and understated side, and looking back most of the Japanese cars that I love from the 90's are relatively simple designs today. There was however this ACR at the show that I would have done some pretty unspeakable things to starting with that wheel gap ? Would prefer green or blue but pink doesn't even look bad given the car.

1647918857849.png
Ooooo being a girly girl I don’t mind the pink…and like you I usually like simplicity but this kinda gets away with the overdone look.

Thanks to everyone for their support and added pics.
Unfortunatley I don’t think Australians will get much chance to view before purchase ….particularly in WA were we usually be a bum steer
One of our other Aussies has said there is now one in Melbourne, but one ain’t gonna go far, and I’m loathed to pay for a $600 round trip just to see it in person if it goes on show there

I love how it all translates over pictures…..if I didn’t I would have got a refund by now and be driving a MX 5 instead of my sons i20 ?
So for all my whinging I have stayed loyal, I doubt many Would have handed money over a year ago and not be feeling impatient, so please try and understand why I’m starting to lose the plot

As to the twins…as I said even at 75k for the Nissan we could buy both the twins fir the same money…I wouldn’t buy one because in Aus they are a dime a dozen. It’s the only reason why I wouldn’t . Snobby maybe, but I do like to have something a little different

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
Ooooo being a girly girl I don’t mind the pink…and like you I usually like simplicity but this kinda gets away with the overdone look.

Thanks to everyone for their support and added pics.
Unfortunatley I don’t think Australians will get much chance to view before purchase ….particularly in WA were we usually be a bum steer
One of our other Aussies has said there is now one in Melbourne, but one ain’t gonna go far, and I’m loathed to pay for a $600 round trip just to see it in person if it goes on show there

I love how it all translates over pictures…..if I didn’t I would have got a refund by now and be driving a MX 5 instead of my sons i20 ?
So for all my whinging I have stayed loyal, I doubt many Would have handed money over a year ago and not be feeling impatient, so please try and understand why I’m starting to lose the plot

As to the twins…as I said even at 75k for the Nissan we could buy both the twins fir the same money…I wouldn’t buy one because in Aus they are a dime a dozen. It’s the only reason why I wouldn’t . Snobby maybe, but I do like to have something a little different
I'm definitely considering the twins if the Z doesn't work out. Over here I don't see them often...even the previous generation. Very surprising since I'm in the NY/NJ area. I see so many Mustangs and Chargers though lol.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I'm definitely considering the twins if the Z doesn't work out. Over here I don't see them often...even the previous generation. Very surprising since I'm in the NY/NJ area. I see so many Mustangs and Chargers though lol.
Mustangs are also very popular here, but still not as popular as the 86, BRZ is still seen a lot…but not as much as the 86

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Down here what you see the most is the big 3 , I think I’ve seen a Supra maybe like once or twice in my area, I haven’t even seen anyone driving the new 86, my cousin drives one of the older ones

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Echoing a lot of sentiment in here—I was fortunate enough too see the Proto Spec in person in October, and let me tell ya, the moment I walked into the Auto Show doors, the boost kicked in once I found where Nissan was and I can't remember a time where I've moved quicker.

If you haven't seen Jay Leno's Garage episode on the new Z, have a look on YouTube. That video avoids the shaky/moving camera that is popular (obnoxious) these days, and also doesn't use a wide angle lens that tends to distort the vehicle proportions. I thought the Z appeared very nice in Jay's video. Looking forward to seeing a Z in person.
This is definitely the best video I can recall that does the car justice compared to what you see in person. As @indio22 said, he's great about keeping the camera stationary with the occasional slow pan, which lets you appreciate details, and it helps you get perspective, especially when he's standing right by it.

Dan Cohen

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SUBARU
Occupation
sales
I totally understand no test drives to a point. A serious buyer should be allowed a short drive so as not to put too many miles on the car. I also do not think it will be a big problem since most will all be sold cars going to customers so will not be a lot of cars sitting around to test drive any way. If you are a serious buyer I mean really what could possibly be bad about the car at this point. If you want a new Z then you know you want a new Z. END OF STORY. Just buy it.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
So far I've seen (and sat in) the yellow and have now seen the boulder grey. Larry Chen's pictures of the boulder gray were amazing, but after seeing it in person, I personally don't feel this color does the car justice. The body lines seem washed out.

It may look better outdoors, but I'm passing on the grey.

AlphalphaMale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MX-5 soft top
Occupation
Retired
One of the videos did say the grille looks worse when viewed from lower angles (which is what a lot go arty photographers tend to do), but is better when standing normally.

I haven't seen the new Z in person. I thought the 350Z was fat and ugly when I first saw pictures of it. Over time and seeing more of them on the road, I grew to like it a little bit more, especially when the fatter and uglier 370Z arrived. The pictures of the new Z already make it look far better than either of those.
Huh? The 370Z was *smaller* than the 350Z in every way, and also weighed less and had more power.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Very strange, wonder how many US dealers he has spoken with. I could walk into the local Porsche dealership tomorrow and test drive a $240k 911.
Haha really? Not where I am from. You need to be a qualified buyer. Oh right...there aren't even any Porsches at the dealer lot...

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Have you ever owned a 300/350/370? Most on here would completely disagree with you. Wrong forum.
Good for them - that's their opinion. The entire topic is "Has seeing the Z in real life changed your mind?", which is all about people's personal opinions. The above was simply my opinion. I never said anyone else did or had to agree with me. :rolleyes:

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Good for them - that's their opinion. The entire topic is "Has seeing the Z in real life changed your mind?", which is all about people's personal opinions. The above was simply my opinion. I never said anyone else did or had to agree with me. :rolleyes:
Indeed, you have quite helpfully reminded us the title of this thread. And yet comments regarding "the design changes [that] made the 370Z look fatter and uglier than the 350Z" are a bit hasty, and prematurely dismissive. The entire rationale for the newly imagined 350Z at the time was to leave behind the Grand Touring "ZX" of the 300ZX and reclaim the original spirit of the more focused "Z" first captured in the originals of the 240Z and 260Z. The 350Z reclaimed the classic proportions of the original 240/260 with the long nose, squat haunches, set-back inline six, now a V6 midship powerplant in its place offering greater balance. The 370Z pushed this evolution yet again. Greater set-back balance, shorter footprint overall, and even more squat in the rear shoulders for brute mechanical grip and off the line traction. Again, a reclamation of the original proportions from the 70s. The newest iteration of the 2023 Z tries to capture and imagine yet again the original, this time by incorporating design cues and lines from the legendary six time Car and Driver Sports Car of the year: the Z32 300ZX. Reductive analysis approximating "fatter," and "uglier" entirely misses the nuances of the title of this thread: "Has seeing the Z in real life changed your mind". The newest proportions of the 2023 Z are a carefully considered pushing forward of the same proportions of the 350Z and 370Z. There is no 2023 Z without the carefully forged lead ups of the 350Z and 370Z. A less careful eye might assume the new Z is an all new Z, and fail to see its indebtedness to its forebears.