Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
Also the 2nd gear thing sounds terrible but this is the first time I have heard of that issue. It is definitely something to look out for but at this point I have watched so many reviews of this car without that issue that I am going to categorize it as a one off anomaly.
Seen it in a couple of vids now - trying to remember the other one... think it was either SavageGeese or StraightPipes (or both). SG is Canadian as well I think? Might be the same car?

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
I mean they're both front engine RWD sports cars. It's not like they're comparing a two seater to a minivan. Of course they're going to be cross shopped. They already have been. You'd be a fool not to. Minus the gawdawful Camaro visibility, I bet the Camaro is a better tourer too. If you're cross shopping the two, and you pick the Z, you've only done so by subjective metrics. Which is okay. But objectively the Camaro does everything better than the Z. Literally, everything. You have to really want the Z or really NOT want the Camaro (or anything else) to go with the Z.
I'm your shining example of a cross shopper, and ended up with the Camaro. Only car I have driven with worse visibility is the Supra, especially in my preferred seating position. That said, you do get used to it fast, and the camera rearview mirror is a Godsend lol, it's also great for making you think you're a vampire, not showing up in the mirror.

It is a great tourer too. The adjustable suspension is magic as is the alpha chassis. It absorbs bumps well, but its not riding on a cushion of air. Plus the rubberband semi-Rcomp 30-series tires don't help. Yet it still cruises sooo nice, it's great. I will be getting a second set of wheels for the car, probably 19's, so a 35 will help a little, but I'll be going a step down in tire, something 500+ wear like Contis. The heated and cooled Recaros are great.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
So I totally get comparing cars that are similarly priced.. but comparing a Z to track focused trims like the 1LE or mustang PP2 seems wrong.

There will be a Nismo (hopefully) to compare those to.

If your sole focus is tracking the car, then Yea.. seems like there are way better options.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
the thing is u can get a be GtPP2 for like 46k or u can get a premium GtPP2 for 51k they fall right into a Z price range

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Indeed.

Any car will break when abused, including your beloved Supra :)

true- and real track work will absolutely expose any weaknesses. but the Zupras, out since early 2020, are holding up really really well
so far- fingers crossed

I have 17k TRACK miles on mine (since Aug 2020) and knock on wood- so far so good.
i change oil every 2 months, brakes every 6, trans and brake fluid every season. on third set of rotors

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
So I totally get comparing cars that are similarly priced.. but comparing a Z to track focused trims like the 1LE or mustang PP2 seems wrong.

There will be a Nismo (hopefully) to compare those to.

If your sole focus is tracking the car, then Yea.. seems like there are way better options.
That’s the rub. They have mag ride. Lady on the streets freak in the sheets. The Z is a poor VALUE proposition. I’m not knocking it or anything. If someone loves it and wants to plunk $50k down for one, more power to them. Of course a vehicle has to have soul. And really stir the emotions. And then you hear the cold start of the Z…my Keurig has more character as it’s heating up water :D

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
That’s the rub. They have mag ride. Lady on the streets freak in the sheets. The Z is a poor VALUE proposition. I’m not knocking it or anything. If someone loves it and wants to plunk $50k down for one, more power to them. Of course a vehicle has to have soul. And really stir the emotions. And then you hear the cold start of the Z…my Keurig has more character as it’s heating up water :D
The C7 Z51should be in consideration too. Can get a used one around 2015-18. Older but lot more value even used

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
The C7 Z51should be in consideration too. Can get a used one around 2015-18. Older but lot more value even used
Agreed. That’s what I did lol. Picked up a 2014 Z51. A bit higher mileage (for a Vette) but one owner. Good ole boy. Got heck of a deal. I really wanted to like the 6G Camaro, but really hated the ergos. Just don’t like the door sills and dash coming to my forehead, and I’m 6 feet tall.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Agreed. That’s what I did lol. Picked up a 2014 Z51. A bit higher mileage (for a Vette) but one owner. Good ole boy. Got heck of a deal. I really wanted to like the 6G Camaro, but really hated the ergos. Just don’t like the door sills and dash coming to my forehead, and I’m 6 feet tall.
Unfortunately, some C7s here in Canada are in the 68-75K range. Even 2015-2017. I’m trying to find a C7 closer to the lower 60k. Since the Z is around 60K all in (taxes, fees) out the door. I’d rather have a vette for 5-6k more that can do well on a track (if I wanted to).

I agree on the C6. I do not like the looks of it at all.

Freewill

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Triumph Tiger
I'm really sad that Nissan didn't finish the car. They built a beautiful body form that really brings out the heritage from both the 240 and 300. The interior looks great, and it has a great engine. However they dropped the ball on suspension, exhaust (manual), steering, and maybe even having a decent manual transmission. Nobody buys a sports car for rational reasons. It's a choice of passion over practicality. Hence I can't be as excited about a car that in stock form can't keep pace with the competition when driven close to the limit.

This isn't a cheap car in the performance trim. I've pulled my deposit and have put one down for a manual 2023 Supra premium. I had cross shopped the Z with the Mach 1 as well, but the exterior and interior styling of the Z was what really brought me over. Looks wise, I think the Z is really top of the class.

I don't want to buy a car and then need to spend thousands more afterwards to get right, while at the same time risking my warranty doing so. The other thing is in Canada, Nissan won't sell you the car with 9" screen and built in navigation. It's a weird place to cheap out, but I let my dealer know that was part of the reason I backed out so that they can hopefully pressure Nissan to offer us everything our neighbours to the south get for options.

I hope the car sells well, and that they either address the short comings in 2024-25 or with a Nismo. For now though, I"m going another way.

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
I'm really sad that Nissan didn't finish the car. They built a beautiful body form that really brings out the heritage from both the 240 and 300. The interior looks great, and it has a great engine. However they dropped the ball on suspension, exhaust (manual), steering, and maybe even having a decent manual transmission. Nobody buys a sports car for rational reasons. It's a choice of passion over practicality. Hence I can't be as excited about a car that in stock form can't keep pace with the competition when driven close to the limit.

This isn't a cheap car in the performance trim. I've pulled my deposit and have put one down for a manual 2023 Supra premium. I had cross shopped the Z with the Mach 1 as well, but the exterior and interior styling of the Z was what really brought me over. Looks wise, I think the Z is really top of the class.

I don't want to buy a car and then need to spend thousands more afterwards to get right, while at the same time risking my warranty doing so. The other thing is in Canada, Nissan won't sell you the car with 9" screen and built in navigation. It's a weird place to cheap out, but I let my dealer know that was part of the reason I backed out so that they can hopefully pressure Nissan to offer us everything our neighbours to the south get for options.

I hope the car sells well, and that they either address the short comings in 2024-25 or with a Nismo. For now though, I"m going another way.
i actually just called toyota regarding manual supra, they dont have any eta unfortunately, but hinted that its more 2023+. did they provide you any timing?

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
i actually just called toyota regarding manual supra, they dont have any eta unfortunately, but hinted that its more 2023+. did they provide you any timing?

My dealer was going to have one in October