Why You Probably Haven't Seen The New Z On The Road Yet

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
https://jalopnik.com/demand-markups-and-still-the-chip-shortage-are-why-1850532530

1686705378150.png

Less than a thousand of Nissan's new sports car have been made since it went on sale last summer.

Since the debut of the new Nissan Z, I think I’ve seen a grand total of two on the street. If you’re like me and wondering just when and where you would see one of these things, I may have found an answer. And it’s an unfortunate combination of demand, markups, and the chip shortage.
After what seemed like decades, Nissan finally confirmed that it was working on a new Z sports car. The 370Z was way past its prime, having been on sale for over a decade, essentially a heavily updated version of the 350Z, a car that first went on sale in 2002. After teasing us, a near production-ready concept was shown in late 2020 called the Proto Z. The production version of the Z went on sale in late summer 2022. Still, nearly a year after going on sale, there are hardly any Z’s to be found.

When Nissan reported its first quarter 2023 sales results, most of its models reported positive gains. Only two models posted triple-digit sales numbers. One of them was the GT-R which understandably sold just 143 units. The market for a six-figure Japanese sports car is only so big. The other was the new Z. A quick glance at the sales figures shows just 466 Zs were sold the first three months of 2023; that number is also how many have been sold for the year so far. A check of 2022’s figures shows 177 were sold in 2022. Just 643 have been sold less than a year after its debut. When you look at what’s going on, the problem is threefold.

The first two problems have to do with availability. Nissan told me the Z is in high demand. But the company has been dealing with an ongoing chip shortage issue that has been affecting production and demand. In a statement, Nissan mentioned how the company is trying to get production up for both dealers and customers.
The Nissan Z is a global model and we are experiencing high demand in all regions where it is on sale. The U.S. is a priority market, so we continue to work closely with our production partners to ramp up output and minimize delivery times for our dealers and customers.

This shows at the dealer level. A search using Autotrader, Autotempest, and Cargurus shows between 68-116 Zs for sale in the whole country as of this writing. Nissan says the Z starts at $42,805 (including $1,095 for destination), but good luck finding one at that price. That brings us to the third problem: Markups

Data from Autotempest shows an average markup of $19,271, or 37 percent over MSRP, enough to turn away many buyers. Even adding accessories to a Z Proto Spec, it’s hard to get it to come close to touching $60,000. Using listings from Cargurus (since they had the most listed for sale) shows that over 42 percent of the Zs that are listed for sale are priced above $60,000.

Such is the car market the last few years, though I wonder if things keep going the way they’re going if that could give Nissan enough excuse to kill off the Z, period, which would be a shame. The Z seems, at the moment, to be in the worst of all places, flying under the radar and yet not nearly enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Less than a thousand of Nissan's new sports car have been made since it went on sale last summer.
this is false unless they meant to say sold or are being super technical and not counting Zs built before July 2022 when a handful of protos were sold to satisfy a press release that the car is now available for sale.

1800 cars have been made for North America to date

729 Z's sold in the US July 2022-April 2023. ( May to June data not available but im guessing in the 160-175 range)

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
It is an interesting article. I wonder if the author is trying to focus on the USA only. If so, you might expect more serial numbers (cars made) than US sales, I guess. Maybe the author is trying to estimate cars made for the US market...

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Problem is there is no way though that Canada has gotten over 800 cars. The majority of the 1800 has got to be US

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Problem is there is no way though that Canada has gotten over 800 cars. The majority of the 1800 has got to be US
Based on reading this forum, it definitely seems like the cars are much, much harder to find outside the US, so I could believe this, too.

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Canada sold 161 Z's in Q1. US sold 463 in Q1

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Canada sold 161 Z's in Q1. US sold 463 in Q1
This number for canada is probably correct, and doesn’t seem to be increasing or there are still cars stuck on port

TheyCallMeStino

First Name
Stino
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z, '91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, '06 WRX
Call me an attention seeking douche but I enjoy owning a unicorn. Just yesterday I had a new WRX pacing me on the highway staring at the car, the driver behind me at the offramp stop light whipped out their phone and was taking pictures, and a few hours after I got home some guy was peeking over my driveway fence muttering to himself "Holy shit is that the NEW Z?!"

I am up to 1700 miles since I acquired it 3 weeks ago, and haven't seen another one yet while travelling major highways here in the northeast.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've only had two folks take notice of my Z. One was a kid riding a scooter (🛴) through a gas station, who shot me a shaka 🤙, and another was a guy on the freeway driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse who paced me for a bit and waved. In SoCal, if it's not a Tesla, almost nobody cares.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
“The Nissan Z is a global model and we are experiencing high demand in all regions where it is on sale. The U.S. is a priority market, so we continue to work closely with our production partners to ramp up output and minimize delivery times for our dealers and customers.”

Keep working on it, Nissan.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
I'd like to see a partnership between Mazda and Nissan. A GT that is lightweight and affordable. No turbos, V-6, monospec.
Oh, yes. Seems like I recall rumors of the RX7 returning, too. I could “settle” for a rotary, but a pure V-6 in a GT would be fantastic.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I've only had two folks take notice of my Z. One was a kid riding a scooter (🛴) through a gas station, who shot me a shaka 🤙, and another was a guy on the freeway driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse who paced me for a bit and waved. In SoCal, if it's not a Tesla, almost nobody cares.
Haha thats so unfortunate. Where im at in NY it gets a ton of attention. Its actually surprised me how many people are interested.