Road noise during the winter…?

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Maybe it’s just in my head, but does anybody notice more toad noise during the winter months? Maybe from the colder roads, or tire compound….or a combination of both?

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Maybe it’s just in my head, but does anybody notice more toad noise during the winter months? Maybe from the colder roads, or tire compound….or a combination of both?
I think you nailed it. Probably a combination of both. Your tread compound will be a lot more firm when the temps dip, and I find a lot of tires can sound actually quite loud when it's cold. Even on my winter beater, the summer tires I had on there are so loud (almost bad wheel bearing kind of loud ) compared to my new snow tires I just switched to. Usually it's the other way around, snow tires tend to be a little louder due to the aggressive tread. But, I guess the soft compound negates that some how lol

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
I just changed my tires to Conti DWS06 plus and it made all the difference. No More Factory Dunlop Ski's to ride/slide on! Getting new tires Conti's as I did or Michelin PS4S are a must for all weather driving and otherwise.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I think you nailed it. Probably a combination of both. Your tread compound will be a lot more firm when the temps dip, and I find a lot of tires can sound actually quite loud when it's cold. Even on my winter beater, the summer tires I had on there are so loud (almost bad wheel bearing kind of loud ) compared to my new snow tires I just switched to. Usually it's the other way around, snow tires tend to be a little louder due to the aggressive tread. But, I guess the soft compound negates that some how lol
Wheel bearing is what I thought about right away. I mean I’m lowered on coilovers but my camber isn’t out THAT much and they’ve only been on a couple months so I ruled that out. I think went from soft Advans that came with the car to SOFTER Advans….lol

Brock

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
I have noticed more noise when I’m running over toads. That toad noise can be deafening at times. With winter comes colder weather. The belts in the tires become harder, and this in turn adds to the squishing effect! 😁

RickydeeZ23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, Manual, sports
Occupation
RET
I just changed my tires to Conti DWS06 Plus and it made all the difference. No More Factory Dunlop Skis to ride/slide on! Getting new tires Conti's as I did or Michelin PS4S are a must for all-weather driving and otherwise.
I only ride DSW on all my vehicles, sports or otherwise. DSW sports are the best I have ever used. They can get pricey, but they are number one in my book.

Brock

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
I find no road noise in the time of winter, as I don’t drive in winter! 😊😊😊