Why You Probably Haven't Seen The New Z On The Road Yet

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Ought to be recall, I feel like I got robbed.
Lol man you are really hating the car now huh? You sound defeated.

However something isnt adding up here. If the traction was THAT bad in stock form as you claim, what was thought process going to AMS and adding another 150ft lbs of torque lol. Doesnt make sense. Not trying to be confrontational but it kinda sounds like you were chasing numbers and are now unhappy the car doesnt hook. You also dont have any supporting mods besides coilovers.

Id call AMS or Z1 and see what they can do or tell you to improve things at your power level.

I just not sure how you got robbed here.

Last edited:

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was responding to this comment, also:

He's claiming it never hooked up, even stock. I've definitely heard similar stories, surely you have as well.
Oh for sure ive definitely seen the traction issue discussed for years, but it's always by youtubers who are raping the car for comparison videos and drag race times.

I guess maybe i adjusted my expectations? Haha i just wouldnt expect to launch my car in first and have it instantly hook. My STI does that but it's a different comparison.

Curious what the end goal is.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Oh for sure ive definitely seen the traction issue discussed for years, but it's always by youtubers who are raping the car for comparison videos and drag race times.

I guess maybe i adjusted my expectations? Haha i just wouldnt expect to launch my car in first and have it instantly hook. My STI does that but it's a different comparison.

Curious what the end goal is.
Oh, it's just that it seems to be a baked-in problem with the way the new Z is set up. I'm not suggesting that any reasonably powerful sports car can't light up the rears during a dig, particularly in 1st gear, it's that most aren't quite so hard to launch cleanly with proper technique (and maybe even upgraded rubber) as this vehicle seems to be by most accounts. Traction is the biggest performance complaint we've been seeing as a community.

Surely there are plenty of sports cars that are considered difficult to launch, though. The 370 can get skittish on a hard launch, even in stock configuration, but its technique for hard-accelerating with minimal wheelspin truly isn't difficult to master.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My friend has that twin turbo V6 Cadillac sedan, it hooks up perfectly, it can launch violently like an AWD car. The chassis of that car is from the Camaro.

Modern vehicles get good traction through sophisticated chassis design. The Z chassis is likely a 20 year old design that if it doesn't go back to the 350Z, at least goes back to the 370Z.
It's all in the way the chassis and suspension work together to maintain perfect angles, movement and transfer under heavy acceleration.

My GTI would blow the stock tires off in 1st and 2nd, everyone was switching to PSS or PS4S tires and saying it basically didn't help.
Then you have the CTR or FST, also FWD cars, able to get decent traction for a FWD, it's because both of those cars had significant engineering efforts put in to the design of the chassis and suspension to cope with the power. And the results are way better than the typical powerful FWD vehicle.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My friend has that twin turbo V6 Cadillac sedan, it hooks up perfectly, it can launch violently like an AWD car. The chassis of that car is from the Camaro.

Modern vehicles get good traction through sophisticated chassis design. The Z chassis is likely a 20 year old design that if it doesn't go back to the 350Z, at least goes back to the 370Z.
It's all in the way the chassis and suspension work together to maintain perfect angles, movement and transfer under heavy acceleration.

My GTI would blow the stock tires off in 1st and 2nd, everyone was switching to PSS or PS4S tires and saying it basically didn't help.
Then you have the CTR or FST, also FWD cars, able to get decent traction for a FWD, it's because both of those cars had significant engineering efforts put in to the design of the chassis and suspension to cope with the power. And the results are way better than the typical powerful FWD vehicle.
Im not debating other cars do things better, I just think its being blown out of proportion and like I said some things arent adding up. If its THAT bad stock, and absolutely horrible to the point someone thinks they got "robbed" and their car is usueless, why go add another 150ft lbs lol. Especially without some supporting suspension work.

Seems odd but whatevs haha.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Im not debating other cars do things better, I just think its being blown out of proportion and like I said some things arent adding up. If its THAT bad stock, and absolutely horrible to the point someone thinks they got "robbed" and their car is usueless, why go add another 150ft lbs lol. Especially without some supporting suspension work.

Seems odd but whatevs haha.
Well, I'm not siding with someone who feels cheated. They could sell the car off and move on.

However, I do agree it's pretty bad, and until "suspension work" means geometry changes, not lowering springs, bushings, roll bars etc, it's going to be a "problem". It's not so simple to expect better tires or typical off the shelf stuff to help.

Remember, this is a recycled platform that previously dealt with a torqueless NA V6, now there's a twin turbocharged V6 fire-breather under the hood and absolutely no meaningful chassis update to cope.

I shared a video here of a stock CTR taking off WAY better and getting ahead of the Z for 2 gears, once the Z starts getting grip it runs away from the CTR.
Theoretically, a FWD shouldn't own a RWD like that, the RWD should have a weight transfer advantage.

Todd marks

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 White Nissan Z Performance
Occupation
Personal Training
I honestly had no clue the what the car would feel like since I tested it in 20-50 degree weather tops (prior to the tune) I also had the stock Bridgestone potenzas on my car which didnā€™t help, especially in the winter time. I have yet to launch it so couldnā€™t say how the car is from a dig. 1st gear still seems hard to get traction in. However, from second gear on with the PS4s I am noticing better traction now that the weather is officially warm here in Chicago.

Todd marks

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Personal Training
Iā€™m just disappointed I spent 5gs over msrp for a sports car that doesnā€™t handle power the way I was expecting. My previous vehicle (2010 Manuel S4) spoiled me in a way

Todd marks

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Personal Training
I was getting full traction in the pouring rain in first gear with an aftermarket exhaust, intake, and tune.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
With all the problems most automakers are having with parts supply chain, I would of never guessed paint was holding up the Z production.
Youā€™d think Nissan would have figured out how to paint a car by now, especially for the launch of new Z. šŸ˜

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
Iā€™m just disappointed I spent 5gs over msrp for a sports car that doesnā€™t handle power the way I was expecting. My previous vehicle (2010 Manuel S4) spoiled me in a way
Sorry to hear this but thanks for your honest assessment.

Todd marks

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Personal Training
Curious to see how these cars hold their value. The car has become more fun now that the warm weather has come. Still debating on keeping the vehicle or selling at the end of summer šŸ¤”