Why You Probably Haven't Seen The New Z On The Road Yet

Chokinzoku

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
It has something to do with the chassis as others on here already know. It’s very unfortunate, stepping into a beautiful 2023 Nissan Z that can’t handle the stock power.
Sucks to hear this. An R35 puts down power like a locomotive and pulls like a demon; I had lower expectations for a C63, but that still pulls really hard and with the right tires, wheel spin is eliminated in warmer weather (65 F).
The RZ34 at highway speeds is phenomenal, kind of reminds me of my old NA2 NSX when you’re in 3rd gear going from 4K RPMs to 7K RPMs, with the intake wailing. But on the street, the wheel spin is really annoying…I don’t remember the 370s having this issue…?!?

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
It has something to do with the chassis as others on here already know. It’s very unfortunate, stepping into a beautiful 2023 Nissan Z that can’t handle the stock power.
Wait I thought you were far from stock? I thought you were pushing over 500 to the wheels?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Stock tires here still, but I swear after we hit 100+ degrees here in Phoenix, I feel like I'm actually slipping MORE often. Probably doesn't help that a lot of highway bridges & turn-ons etc here are all just flat concrete instead of actual asphalt these days..
perfect example image:
1687218825368.png
I'm from AZ, currently live in WA state.
I had a tuned 2016 GTI, and I had way better traction (still not great) on streets in the Phoenix metro area. I could never get traction here in WA state, even on nice days, and we're mostly asphalt here.

I replaced my GTI with a Q60 AWD, and now I'm not so sure I want a Z because I'm enjoying traction!

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
But on the street, the wheel spin is really annoying…I don’t remember the 370s having this issue…?!?
I've long been speculating that, in real world conditions, a stock 370 with aggressive rubber may actually be able to out-accelerate a new Z from a dig given how difficult it is to launch the RZ34.

It is not particularly challenging to launch the 370 without vaporizing the rears, in my experience, so long as you're accustomed to it. It sounds more and more like the new Z would require some significant upgrading to defeat this baked-in problem.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Test drove a 2021 C8 vette and there was absolutely no comparison. Both cars are RWD, yes the vet has the rear engine. But it also has twice as much horsepower. It handled the power just fine in the winter time with the addition of a couple performance modifications. Traction was great.
What 2021 C8 variant has 800 horsepower? The Stingray has 495 horsepower, so that's not it. The Z06 has 670 horsepower and the E-Ray, which wasn't unveiled until 2023 and is AWD, has 655 between the ICE and electric motor.

I get the point you're making, here, but even for the sake of hyperbole, that's pushing it.

Todd marks

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 White Nissan Z Performance
Occupation
Personal Training
Not literally double, I would highly l
Recommend test driving a base c8 1 or 2 LT. The power feels more evenly distributed. That car blew my mind/expectations. There’s a reason why it’s ranked #1 on Car and Driver.

Todd marks

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Personal Training
I also test drove a 2021 modified Supra, surprisingly liked my Z better. The heavy luxurious handling feels nice in comparison. Visibility is also better, power felt similar to the point where it was hard to compare the two.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I've long been speculating that, in real world conditions, a stock 370 with aggressive rubber may actually be able to out-accelerate a new Z from a dig given how difficult it is to launch the RZ34.

It is not particularly challenging to launch the 370 without vaporizing the rears, in my experience, so long as you're accustomed to it. It sounds more and more like the new Z would require some significant upgrading to defeat this baked-in problem.
I want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples just to be sure. Todd's car isnt stock according to the other thread hes putting down over 500ft lbs to the wheels. I cant imagine its super easy to add that much power over stock to many rwd cars and have it instantly hook in 1st and 2nd lol.

Definitely not saying the Z is some grip machine (I wont know for another 400 miles), but still there's some other factors in his feedback. Unless he removed all his mods? Im not sure

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples just to be sure. Todd's car isnt stock according to the other thread hes putting down over 500ft lbs to the wheels. I cant imagine its super easy to add that much power over stock to many rwd cars and have it instantly hook in 1st and 2nd lol.

Definitely not saying the Z is some grip machine (I wont know for another 400 miles), but still there's some other factors in his feedback. Unless he removed all his mods? Im not sure
I was responding to this comment, also:

I currently have the LSD, no difference whatsoever. The Pilot sport 4s are fine once warmed up. However, I’m still not getting traction in 1st gear. Never have, even when the car was stock.
He's claiming it never hooked up, even stock. I've definitely heard similar stories, surely you have as well.

Todd marks

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Personal Training
Not trying to spend 10 minutes driving recklessly to warm up 2000 dollar Michelin Pilot sport 4s’s so the car can handle stock power in first gear.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Not literally double, I would highly l
Recommend test driving a base c8 1 or 2 LT. The power feels more evenly distributed. That car blew my mind/expectations. There’s a reason why it’s ranked #1 on Car and Driver.
The C8 also has the weight of the powertrain sitting over the rear wheels and wider tires to help with traction. Also keep in mind even with stock tune the Z makes peak torque (~350-380ftlbs at the wheels) as early as 1600 RPM; don’t think its same case with the C8. It’s a lot to handle on launch.

Seems like several tuners/shops have significantly improved traction with wider stickier tires and tunes that manage power delivery better