Nissan Z35 engine should be?

What engine should power the Nissan Z35?

• 4 cylinder would be good for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 cylinder or bust!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • I want a choice between 4 or 6 cylinders

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • None of the Above (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MillerP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3
I don't mind. Nissan needs to bring back the 240Z using a 2.4L turbo for a lower cost.

Maybe then we can see a 400Z simultaneously as well as a new GT-R.
Rumor is they will offer the 4 for the european/asian markets only. As a fan of the V6 as most of us are, this would be welcomed. What ever Nissan needs to do to sell a lot of them so they can keep the V6 around...PLEASE DO IT!

BluntForce

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
There have been rumors of both 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Which do you want to see? Will we even have a choice?

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
The car would lose its identity without at least a 6 cyl in there. Yea 4 bangers are taking over the market but I'd like to see it as an option at most.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
I voted to give me a choice because I can't pick one without knowing their specs :)
You can't just say a 4 cylinder is automatically worse than a 6 cyl. anymore.
Just look at the new Mustang... the turbo 4 cylinder is better than the V6 model and also has a ton more tuning upside!

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
I'm all for forced induction but if they are going to only offer one engine it has to be a 6 or even a V8. As I said in another thread, costs have to be kept down to compete in a pretty crowded market. Even the Genesis coupe offers a NA V6 with 348 horses and it is a good deal less expensive than the 370Z.

Not sure how much more power they can squeeze out of the VQ series V6 engine lineup. IMO better to go with cheaper power to a turbo V6 pushing ~400hp.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
latest rumor is that it would get 2 engine choices... the current 3.7L VQ37VHR V6 pushing out more than 350hp.... second is a smaller engine pushing out as much as the current 370z, maybe a 2.5L inline turbo 4 or a smaller 6 cyl.

Last edited:

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
just not a hybrid please
I'm a petrol purist too but I realize that future generations of sports cars will see more and more hybrid. Look at the current halo sports cars from Mclaren, Porsche and BMW... they're all hybrid electrics. The P1 and 918 are just staggering in performance too.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
I say NA base model first year and come out with a hybrid FI NISMO in year 2 and later. These guys get pretty specific...

Spearheading the Z35’s broad appeal with be a wider variety of powertrain choices. Unlike its antecedents, which were solely offered with a fantastic VQ series V6, the new car will house a Mercedes-Benz-sourced 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, the same one that’s found in the Infiniti Q50. The engine only makes 211 horsepower in the Infiniti (and Skyline abroad), but Nissan has a plan for that.

To thwart horsepower reduction stress, the turbo four-pot will be mated to an electric power source to lower fuel consumption and, of course, increase thrust.

A 402-horsepower turbo 3.0-liter six-cylinder is in the pipe too, which will also be given a electric boost. Combined hybrid output hasn’t been confirmed yet, but sources say the six-cylinder will be Mercedes-sourced as well. The engines do sound promising; it will be hard not to miss the VQ V6s, though.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/o...e-turbo-hybrid-powertrain-2017/#ixzz3ImRoRAtc
would love to see a 400+hp turbo hybrid 6.

ToTheMax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
I'm a petrol purist too but I realize that future generations of sports cars will see more and more hybrid. Look at the current halo sports cars from Mclaren, Porsche and BMW... they're all hybrid electrics. The P1 and 918 are just staggering in performance too.
Yea but the hybrid electric cars that are great performing are all $100k+ and some of those are close to a million even. There's yet to be an affordable hybrid sports electric that is any good.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
that's why I say no to hybrid. we don't want no stinking 60K+ plus car. heck nissan needs a cheap sports car not one tickling the feet of the GTR

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
I dunno how likely it would be but I'd love to see multiple versions/models like the Mustang and Camaro have.

1) a model with tweaked version of the 3.7L VQ V6
2) a lower model with a turbo 4 2.5L

Why not capture as many buyers as possible by offering different price and performance levels.

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
Yea I've read about those ecoboost engines.. they have been putting out incredible power/tq with a tune with just a 2.3l.

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
Yea I've read about those ecoboost engines.. they have been putting out incredible power/tq with a tune with just a 2.3l.
Too bad the 2015 Mustang is still so heavy but it is pretty good looking.

Z35 should go forced induction. The VQ is already a torquey powerful engine, can you imagine it with a supercharger!

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
I dunno how likely it would be but I'd love to see multiple versions/models like the Mustang and Camaro have.

1) a model with tweaked version of the 3.7L VQ V6
2) a lower model with a turbo 4 2.5L

Why not capture as many buyers as possible by offering different price and performance levels.
For a car that sells 7-8K A YEAR thre is not a good business case for 2 engines. Not the first year, not unless there are a lot of good existing engines they can pretty much drop into it without much modification needed.