This Seems Like A Pretty Fair Assessment Of The Z From Car and Driver

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
it's clear that it isn't some high performance track star vehicle.
I don't think anybody ever thought it would be, especially those that know the Nissan Z cars - previous versions certainly weren't either (factory standard anyway, without lots of modification).

OP
OP
NiZmonium

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
I don't think anybody ever thought it would be, especially those that know the Nissan Z cars - previous versions certainly weren't either (factory standard anyway, without lots of modification).
So even though Nissan calls it a performance Sports Car , it's not really a sports car .

Got it

OP
OP
NiZmonium

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
So even though Nissan calls it a performance Sports Car , it's not really a sports car .

Got it
Please provide the definition of a sports car so I can relate to your conclusion
bill-clinton-meaning-of-the-word-is.gif

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i mean do people think a miata is a sports car

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I think if we applied the same social logic of identification fluidity to vehicles, any vehicle could identify however it wanted.

Indisputable facts and metrics are just a bigoted manifestation of toxic vehicle classification

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box

Got it
It is a sports car ... it's not a track car. Very few sports cars sold are track cars as standard. People who want to put them on the track modify them.

You're confusing "sports car" with "motor sports", which are two very different categories.

OP
OP
NiZmonium

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
It is a sports car ... it's not a track car. Very few sports cars sold are track cars as standard. People who want to put them on the track modify them.

You're confusing "sports car" with "motor sports", which are two very different categories.
And a 1/4 mile track and an autocross track are two different things.

Any car labeled a sports car that has an emphasis on speed , acceleration , and performance , is indeed a vehicle that would even in stock form , be taken to the track.

'A high performance track star' the Z is not , still remains my original point.

The Z doesn't excel over the competition is any single category.

And by the way , the terminology 'sports car' , what sport are they referring to? Baseball , maybe football ?

OP
OP
NiZmonium

NiZmonium

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 G37 6MT
Everyone thought it was going to be the Supra killer. Look how that turned out....
Exactly, there was a huge amount of hype and big talk before the car actually came out.

Now people are saying that no one ever said the car was going to be that great lmao

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
If I may, the true definition of 'Sports Car' per the Oxford Dictionary (The Brits, the Guys Who Commercialized Small Drop Top Sport Vehicles) and of course the Modernized Definition as per Merriam-Webster.

1656635022935.png

As Per the Original Definition the Miata Is, In Fact . . . A Sports Car.
Our Zee falls into the 'Sport Coupe' Category, although, as per the 'Modernized' definition also is, by definition, a Sports Car.

So we're all invited to the party then !!

IMG_9838.png

Last edited:

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Everyone thought it was going to be the Supra killer.
A few fools (probably started by the media) may have thought that. Even then, the Supra is not a track car in it's factory standard either.

You just have to look at all the previous Z cars to know what the new one would be like.

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
Exactly, there was a huge amount of hype and big talk before the car actually came out...
Someone online coins the term "Baby Godzilla" describing this car (even before the proto was unveiled) and some took it literally to mean that Nissan was going to drop a VR38 into it...

I've been reading everything I can grab online about this car for over 3 years now, there was some - but I don't think there was a huge amount of hype outside of the enthusiast forums and super annoying YouTube clickbait. Certainly there wasn't any big talk from Car and Driver, Autoweek, Road and Track, etc...