First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

As always, nice detailed review. Thoughts?

I'd still take a Sport MT and mod it, tires, suspension and brakes first definitely. Tailor to my setup.

Last edited:

Seoul_Mates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Sti, 2005 Camry
I agree with the goose. I appreciate this car because it has all the old school stuff I want. Physical buttons, physical hand break, a screen that's built into the dash and not just stuck on, old school feel, small 2 seater.

Mustang doesn't do it for me... Too big and fat.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
Apples versus oranges... A pointless comparison since the buyers are different .

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Apples versus oranges... A pointless comparison since the buyers are different .
And the prices are considerably different. As spec'd for the video it's almost a 10k difference.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
True, sizing and driving dynamics are different, but in today's times any performance coupe WITH manual $60K and under with plenty of horsepower is far fewer, could be more cross-shopping.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
computer geek
Well... as a HPDE instructor for almost 30 years, I've dealt with a lot of the worst and only rarely have had the best. I appreciate the Mustang because Ford finally has built a track car that has appropriate cooking for the track - **if and only if** properly optioned you get extra engine cooling, oil cooling, transmission and differential cooling - plus now Brembos front *and* rear. And the magnetic shocks are a godsend. Downside is the sheer weight, and maybe history (Boss302 = great press reviews only to have car perform poorly on track due to awful solid rear axle despite a great engine; GT350 = again great reviews, I drove one in the press preview day, but in practice the engines failed right and left and I wouldn't go near it).
That said, I admire the new Z and would like to have one (instead of a Supra). But I don't see anything - yet - that makes it a really worthy track car that can be driven to the track, driven hard there in extreme temps, and then home again. I'm very familiar with the chassis and it's basically a good one. However cooling is apparently an issue (as it was on the 370Z and my supercharged G), and I've noted that the Nismo has "increased cooling" whatever that means (I predict only a bigger radiator when it needs so much more). And why is it auto only? Probably emissions.
So the jury is out. And there are always plenty of surprises in this hobby... such as the new GR86s with lousy oil pressure resulting in engine failures. Again great press articles and lousy in real world practice.
You never know what you have until people start to experience it on the track. And not just a few laps for a magazine article.. but living with it on track in extreme conditions. I'm in wait and see mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I know, tracked my GT PP2 often enough, power, brakes, Recaros are great, as close to the GT350 as you can get plus better Coyote reliability than the Voodoo. Also instruct locally at times. Sold the ‘Stang because it’s just too big and heavy tossing it around, kept the RB 240Z.

Why I’m still interested in the new Z to upgrade it to my needs.

1694445493820.jpeg

1694445585243.jpeg

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
computer geek
Kudos to the RB 240Z! That is the way they should be!

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Well... as a HPDE instructor for almost 30 years, I've dealt with a lot of the worst and only rarely have had the best. I appreciate the Mustang because Ford finally has built a track car that has appropriate cooking for the track - **if and only if** properly optioned you get extra engine cooling, oil cooling, transmission and differential cooling - plus now Brembos front *and* rear. And the magnetic shocks are a godsend. Downside is the sheer weight, and maybe history (Boss302 = great press reviews only to have car perform poorly on track due to awful solid rear axle despite a great engine; GT350 = again great reviews, I drove one in the press preview day, but in practice the engines failed right and left and I wouldn't go near it).
That said, I admire the new Z and would like to have one (instead of a Supra). But I don't see anything - yet - that makes it a really worthy track car that can be driven to the track, driven hard there in extreme temps, and then home again. I'm very familiar with the chassis and it's basically a good one. However cooling is apparently an issue (as it was on the 370Z and my supercharged G), and I've noted that the Nismo has "increased cooling" whatever that means (I predict only a bigger radiator when it needs so much more). And why is it auto only? Probably emissions.
So the jury is out. And there are always plenty of surprises in this hobby... such as the new GR86s with lousy oil pressure resulting in engine failures. Again great press articles and lousy in real world practice.
You never know what you have until people start to experience it on the track. And not just a few laps for a magazine article.. but living with it on track in extreme conditions. I'm in wait and see mode.

I see a lot of Supras at track events. Still have not seen a Z wish someone would bring one so we can see if it has potential or just a pretty JDM car show piece.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
computer geek
I used to instruct at a big yearly SupraTT gathering on a very fast track, plus drive one of a friends for 2 years. It was indestructible in the super high temps here. A nearly perfect car because it was so well engineered.
"Over" engineered isn't the right word - right-engineered is because it was one of the few cars off the shelf that could survive the extreme weather here.
The new Z won't be over-engineered... and some things are known a bout the engine. But regardless the car needs a thorough workover to work well for any track event that isn't just "casual" driving.