First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The Z's softer suspension gets noticed more with stickier rubber, a set of coilovers is definitely needed. Brakes also need help, not sure how much more can be done w the Akebonos, but Brembos or Stoptechs will cure that. But that fuel cutoff at half tank is way disappointing and might be the game changer for me. As a street car though, the Z is the best here. Good analysis.

Now, the manual Supra comparison, let's see.. That B58 is awesome out of the box.

Last edited:

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
What I found bonkers was the fact that the Supra is sandbagging as much as it is on their power numbers - when your wheel horsepower > crank wheel horsepower - wow - talk about really sandbagging. As much as we all WANT to see the Z put down better numbers and be the Supra beater - its not. But what they offered is what most of us already know and want - a drivers car that will deliver 'fun factor'. Even from the original reveal - it was like the discussion was all about making this a 'drivers car' but with modern features (or things that we all wish they would have done to the 370z) to begin with.

Regardless - great vid - but no real surprises overall - the Supra > Z for straight line speed along with track use - but....if you are only chasing numbers - that will matter - or if you want a driving experience that puts a smile on your face - then I feel the Z > Supra. Thanks for sharing.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Thought the GR86 was supposed to be in this comparo - maybe that will be a second review? I don't care about the Supra, it's priced out the wazoo here and its severely limited outward visibility would have it off my list anyways.
Like they said…the 86 is not in the same league

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Thought the GR86 was supposed to be in this comparo - maybe that will be a second review? I don't care about the Supra, it's priced out the wazoo here and its severely limited outward visibility would have it off my list anyways.
Near tale end of video: "The GR86 is a much more drivers car feel for sure."

The Supra/Z obviously have more power that will especially show in a straight line, but otherwise would have liked to see more comparison between the three vehicles. Could have compared interiors, space, views, handling, etc.

With all that power advantage the Z had under a 2 second advantage in lap time over the GR86. The 86 has a lot going for it, including I could probably actually get one next year, and not get raked over the coals for 60k+.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Like they said…the 86 is not in the same league
Maybe not in terms of street amenities or brute power but to be within 2 seconds of the Z on that track with a car down about 150 hp is pretty amazing, even they say it's a purer driver's car. I wrote the above comment before watching, now I have I was quite struck by the race driver's positive review of the GR86's handling. (But until Toyota get that silicone sealant breakoff issue resolved I would not be a buyer.)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
so vr30 looks even worse on dyno... zupra killer huh
I don't think any reasonable Z enthusiast ever said that.

BMW is very hard to beat. Only a moron would think a company that makes Leafs and Rogues could make a car that beats BMW at it's own game. GT-R doesn't count due to it's price bracket

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 300zx z32 Mitsubishi Triton MR
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
Kudos on the vid lads.

Can someone more knowledgeable in the matter than I, explain to me why Toyota/BMW settle for the advertised 382HP when it's substantially higher?

What's the thought process behind that?

Pretty full on hearing the Supras power plant being pushed to 650hp without a sweat broken but anything over 550hp for the Z (I'll have to rewatch to confirm) being a gamble as old mate Tuner said.

But the Supras visibility and liveability in general don't do much for me. Nor does the disconnect as far as driver input and vehicle response.

Still feeling the Z is the go. I'm no pro driver and achieving results at the very boundaries of performance just won't apply to me personally.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Kudos on the vid lads.

Can someone more knowledgeable in the matter than I, explain to me why Toyota/BMW settle for the advertised 382HP when it's substantially higher?

What's the thought process behind that?

Pretty full on hearing the Supras power plant being pushed to 650hp without a sweat broken but anything over 550hp for the Z (I'll have to rewatch to confirm) being a gamble as old mate Tuner said.

But the Supras visibility and liveability in general don't do much for me. Nor does the disconnect as far as driver input and vehicle response.

Still feeling the Z is the go. I'm no pro driver and achieving results at the very boundaries of performance just won't apply to me personally.

Bmw has always underated the output of their engines. Just a BMW thing. Maybe a german thing.