Has anyone had this issue ? (fuel door)

bruce_c

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z 2015 wrx 1967 gto 1928 pontiac
2023 performance Z, with a little over 3K miles. I stopped for fuel, with stated 40 miles left of fuel (about 30 miles away from home). The fuel door wouldn't open. Since I wasn't close to home, I pulled on the door until a plastic plunger on a spring broke. Seems like it was the issue. The door seems to stay shut even though it doesn't latch, so I am thinking of not getting it fixed. Anyone else with a similar issue ?

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nissan Z Performance 6MT and many more...
Occupation
Hospitality Management
I haven't encountered the same thing, thankfully. I would set an appointment with your service department to see if you can get it covered under warranty.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Out of curiosity did you accidently lock the car? I could be wrong but I think it locks if the car is locked. Actually I will go check on mine real quick an update this post.

Edit: Yeah definitely can not be opened if car is locked. Hopefully you didnt hit the door switch getting out.

OP
OP

bruce_c

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z 2015 wrx 1967 gto 1928 pontiac
Good question, I don't remember if it was or not

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
My only issue is that the thing is huge!
Tastes differ, I guess...I keep seeing people complaining about it. One guy even had a 15 minute YouTube video complaining about the size of that gas cap door. I'm yet to understand why that's a big deal...🤔

Hatoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Brz
Out of curiosity did you accidently lock the car? I could be wrong but I think it locks if the car is locked. Actually I will go check on mine real quick an update this post.

Edit: Yeah definitely can not be opened if car is locked. Hopefully you didnt hit the door switch getting out.
Ah wish I knew that. I bought a locking gas cap since I was worried about people being able to open it randomly lol. Oh well

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
Soooo, not checking how your fuel door locks and unlocks. Then breaking it. Is an issue?

Last edited:

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Soooo, not checking how your fuel door locks and locks. Then breaking it. Is an issue?
The OP never said it was locked. I just think it could have accidently happened. Or in fact had a malfunction. No way to be sure. Hopefully people can learn from this post and be sure to check if it was locked by mistake right before the fill up.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Soooo, not checking how your fuel door locks and locks. Then breaking it. Is an issue?
Don't be a prick, others didn't know it locked either.

BigBlue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Trim. Everest white
Had the same thing happen to me a couple of times. The quick fix was to just push the unlock button on the fob. When I first got the car, out of habit I'd push the gear selector forward to engage park. Every time I did this by mistake and shut the car down the fuel lid would still be locked. In my experience anything other than pushing the park button can cause this.