therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Have you taken the new GR86/BRZ for a spin? Maybe the new engine will surprise you? I can’t personally speak to them but it seems like people are over the moon!
Yeah, I've watched countless reviews and talked to people who own them and they absolutely love the car. My biggest hesitation, and ultimately why I pivoted away, was that damn Subaru engine.

Fast forward a few years and Toyota makes this easy to throw in? Sign me the heck up https://www.thedrive.com/news/you-can-buy-a-toyota-gr-corolla-crate-engine-but-its-tricky

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
A reason I want to test drive a Z before buying, is because I want to test if the Z has the road feel, light and nimble handling of my BRZ, to go along with the Z's superior engine power.
Nope. The Z is no slouch, and probably works just fine as a canyon carver. However, that's not the same as a car intentionally designed to excel in dynamic feedback, like a Miata or 86.

For a time, I owned both a 1987 Prelude Si 5MT and a 2016 GTI DSG with Performance Package.
On paper the GTI was technically far better, like in another century, literally.
However, that little Prelude was intensely fun on a twisty road, in a way it had no right to be. Even my son thought the Prelude was way more fun in the handling department.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Yeah, I've watched countless reviews and talked to people who own them and they absolutely love the car. My biggest hesitation, and ultimately why I pivoted away, was that damn Subaru engine.

Fast forward a few years and Toyota makes this easy to throw in? Sign me the heck up https://www.thedrive.com/news/you-can-buy-a-toyota-gr-corolla-crate-engine-but-its-tricky
I hear ya. Subies don’t make the best engines that’s fur dang sure. Still hard to deny for $30k though.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Meh, the Z is essentially a 370z so that theory doesn't really hold. It's not some bespoke model they created out of thin air. I agree with takemorepills (reminds me I still need to take my morning pills!) theory. Nissan likely doesn't have the buying power of say a Toyota or Honda. Sure we're not seeing GRC's and CTR's flood the market, but they're basically more available than the Z that has been around since the stone ages. Nissan is an embattled company. There is nothing exciting in the Nissan lineup. The Z had an opportunity but reviews are lukewarm. Add in limited availability and people have simply moved on. Myself included. I just stick around cuz the regulars are cool :cool:When was the last time we saw a thread of someone picking up their new Z? Might've been a 370z thread 😂
In terms of R&D and actual production, yeh it should be familiar territory and I wouldn’t expect major hurdles (which makes the MT grinding issues embarrassing 🙄).

My point is because there are still apparent labor & resource shortages affecting the auto industry, manufacturering capacities likely become tightly rationed for a company like Nissan; And the Z, despite the fact it’s only a “refresh” of the previous gen, is a dedicated 2-seater performance vehicle that really doesn’t share a whole lot of major components with any of Nissan’s high-volume models, i.e. minimal cost sharing. So giving the Z any serious assembly line time atm sounds like tough ask to me.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
A reason I want to test drive a Z before buying, is because I want to test if the Z has the road feel, light and nimble handling of my BRZ, to go along with the Z's superior engine power.
I don't agree with the muscle car claims, but It's not as agile or stiff as the 86. It is substantially faster and more refined esp on average to poor roads though. I didn't have a chance to really load the Z up on the corners, but I could tell it would need aftermarket suspension to be able to throw it around like an 86.

z_ya_later

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Seiran Blue Nissan Z Sport
I don't agree with the muscle car claims, but It's not as agile or stiff as the 86. It is substantially faster and more refined esp on average to poor roads though. I didn't have a chance to really load the Z up on the corners, but I could tell it would need aftermarket suspension to be able to throw it around like an 86.
All the more reason why I'm thinking more and more it would be better to just get the Sport/base model and then upgrade it with the Nismo parts (intake, exhaust, brakes, suspension).

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
In terms of R&D and actual production, yeh it should be familiar territory and I wouldn’t expect major hurdles (which makes the MT grinding issues embarrassing 🙄).

My point is because there are still apparent labor & resource shortages affecting the auto industry, manufacturering capacities likely become tightly rationed for a company like Nissan; And the Z, despite the fact it’s only a “refresh” of the previous gen, is a dedicated 2-seater performance vehicle that really doesn’t share a whole lot of major components with any of Nissan’s high-volume models, i.e. minimal cost sharing. So giving the Z any serious assembly line time atm sounds like tough ask to me.
Agreed. Nissan has more important things to focus on, like keeping the lights on. Like you said, the 2-seaters aren't those. On the flip side, Toyota is offering THREE performance oriented cars. Just a few years ago they didn't have anything "fun." Now look at 'em!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Agreed. Nissan has more important things to focus on, like keeping the lights on. Like you said, the 2-seaters aren't those. On the flip side, Toyota is offering THREE performance oriented cars. Just a few years ago they didn't have anything "fun." Now look at 'em!
Dude. Toyota totally has my attention these days.

We have a Corolla hatchback, and we love it, it's like a little Lexus.

The GR Corolla.....
The Supra.....
The 86.....
The new Tundra.....

And now the Prius......

Nissan is floundering hard. They bet their limited resources on the Ariya. Idiots should have immediately hit the brakes on that damn vehicle when the pandemic hit. They lied to themselves and their investors, trying to show they could still deliver a moonshot with nearly zero resources.

I don't care what some say, the new Z is badass, some people keep trying to bitch about it. And that's what's so sad. I truly, truly believe Nissan tried to pivot too hard with the Ariya, and other products paid the price for losing that bet.

We used to be a Nissan family, but Toyota is beginning to infiltrate our fleet. I truly hope I can get a new Z, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're all Toyota in 3 years in my house....