BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Not looking good for the Z. They jacked up the price and it falls short in almost every comparison. I'd rather have a new mustang or LT1 over the base. I could live with a Gr86 or used C5. Hopefully discounted Zs get close to $35k then I'd consider one.

For the price, I'd take an awd Q60 or Q50 with under 30k for under $30k so many options now. Not going to knock anyone wanting the style and daily drivability of the Z, but I think I'd take Mustang, GR, and LT1 over it.

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
Is that true though? Most of the initial Supra pushback was people clowning it for being a BMW but I don't think anyone really complained about driving dynamics. And the buffeting issue is an 80 dollar fix compared to all the aftermarket upgrades the Z will require i.e. suspension, tires, brakes that'll cost thousands.

Totally agree with you second point though.
You are right - but my main point is that there was that initial ā€˜hateā€™ for the car - even though the car has proven to be quite the sports car. Between comparing it to the old Supra, having the release of the C8 with the ā€˜baseā€™ (which no one ever saw) being very competitively priced - there just seemed to be those initial dislike of the car (which has proven to be unwarranted).

Right now - its hard not to put the new 6MT Supra at the top of the list if you are wanting a sports car. I know its near the top for me. As for all the fixes you mentioned - I know Iā€™m in the minority but having a PIF Nismo Z - I am trying to figure out if its worth TT it or buying a new one and fixing all those annoying things (bc I am a fan of the new Z in the looks department and like Zs in general).

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Sure, no one is restricted from buying a sports car. My only point is, if the characteristics you mentioned are important to you, it would be much more optimal to shop for a sports sedan instead, because it will satisfy all your criteria nicely and not lose you any performance compared to the Z. That's what I did. I ended up getting a BMW 440i recently. Still a MT coupe with tons of power and sportiness, but I'm also getting great visibility, German luxury interior, usable back seats, and a reliable engine that takes extra boost like no other. So even in the fight for best comfort/daily livability Nissan Z loses to other competitors that bring all the same things to the table and then some.

I want the Z to succeed as much as you. It's still my childhood dream car, that I plan on getting on day. But as it stands, the car has some serious competition any way you measure it and its losing to them all. I just hope Nissan get their shit together in the next couple of years and improves on this car or at least lowers the price so that I can have a reason to buy one. I think an LSD for the Z Sport and maybe optional interior upgrades would be perfect.
I don't have a good gauge on car prices in North America, but is the 440i a Z competitor on price? Here in AU an M440i xDrive is ~140k compared to the Z at ~82k. A 420i is 85k for example. The entry grade 6 cyl Supra is also ~95k and jumps to ~106k for the top grade. So there is quite a spread in prices between all of those.

To be honest, I don't really care if the Z succeeds or fails, or Nissan for that matter. I just want a dependable fun daily drivable sports car. I have multiple cars so occupancy/cargo concerns aren't a consideration for me, but otherwise I still want something fun and capable for daily driving.

nms1s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW F32 440i, BMW G20 330i
I don't have a good gauge on car prices in North America, but is the 440i a Z competitor on price? Here in AU an M440i xDrive is ~140k compared to the Z at ~82k. A 420i is 85k for example. The entry grade 6 cyl Supra is also ~95k and jumps to ~106k for the top grade. So there is quite a spread in prices between all of those.

To be honest, I don't really care if the Z succeeds or fails, or Nissan for that matter. I just want a dependable fun daily drivable sports car. I have multiple cars so occupancy/cargo concerns aren't a consideration for me, but otherwise I still want something fun and capable for daily driving.
You are referencing the brand new G22 chassis M440i which are more expensive than a Supra and half as fun (no manual, everything is electrically assisted, looks fckin ugly). I got a well kept 2019 440i with only about 37,000 km on it, driven summer only, with all regular maintenance receipts. It cost me just above 50k Canadian with tax and everything included. A Z for comparison would cost me around 68-69,000 CAD with everything included. Plus for the portion that I'm financing I'm only paying 4.69% while Nissan showed no promise of bringing the numbers down from 7%.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
You are referencing the brand new G22 chassis M440i which are more expensive than a Supra and half as fun (no manual, everything is electrically assisted, looks fckin ugly). I got a well kept 2019 440i with only about 37,000 km on it, driven summer only, with all regular maintenance receipts. It cost me just above 50k Canadian with tax and everything included. A Z for comparison would cost me around 68-69,000 CAD with everything included. Plus for the portion that I'm financing I'm only paying 4.69% while Nissan showed no promise of bringing the numbers down from 7%.
I figured something was off. I'm going to need a degree to stay on top of the BMW model numbering šŸ˜…

Yeah saving 20k upfront is never a bad thing, let alone with cheaper financing. What does the 6cyl Supra work out to in Canada? It seems pretty closely priced in the US, but not so much here.

nms1s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW F32 440i, BMW G20 330i
I figured something was off. I'm going to need a degree to stay on top of the BMW model numbering šŸ˜…

Yeah saving 20k upfront is never a bad thing, let alone with cheaper financing. What does the 6cyl Supra work out to in Canada? It seems pretty closely priced in the US, but not so much here.
The Supra is about 80k CAD so 10k more than the Z.

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bus
I think it's probably a pretty fair review, and probably draws a comparison which is very true, though most may not like. The NISMO will be the pick as long as it's similarly priced to the Supra and is more sport than GT. :)

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
I think it's probably a pretty fair review, and probably draws a comparison which is very true, though most may not like. The NISMO will be the pick as long as it's similarly priced to the Supra and is more sport than GT. :)
Lots of talk about how great the Nismo will be. Where are the non Nismos?

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bus
Lots of talk about how great the Nismo will be. Where are the non Nismos?
Agree. I am thinking by the time their automated assembly line is up to speed, and less buyers due to price, they may actually be easier to get. lol. ;)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Agree. I am thinking by the time their automated assembly line is up to speed, and less buyers due to price, they may actually be easier to get. lol. ;)
There's nothing wrong with the assembly line....

I think the real reason Nissan is so far behind is they're a tarnished company, unable to acquire the scarce resources needed for manufacturing from vendors who look down on them and allot resources to bigger companies....

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
There's nothing wrong with the assembly line....

I think the real reason Nissan is so far behind is they're a tarnished company, unable to acquire the scarce resources needed for manufacturing from vendors who look down on them and allot resources to bigger companies....
Itā€™s likely that Nissan's manufacturing priorities are rightfully aligned with bringing the models that actually affect their bottom line to market, and the Z will never be one of those models. And while thats frustrating, I'd rather delays than cancelling the Z altogether like other companies have/are doing.

I know itā€™s pretty popular (albeit warranted) to shit on Nissan lately, but I think it's important to also consider the perspective that as a company theyre not far from rock bottom yet still, singlehandedly, trying to bring a new Z to market.

Of the few automakers that still sell enthusiast vehicles, they're either much larger, more profitable companies, produced as a joint venture, or sold as a "sporty" version of an otherwise run-of-the-mill commuter car.
Hagerty said it best in their Z Icons video, in that building an "affordable" 2-seater, dedicated sports car in today's market is risky business. So the fact Nissan is even trying this is commendable.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Itā€™s likely that Nissan's manufacturing priorities are rightfully aligned with bringing the models that actually affect their bottom line to market, and the Z will never be one of those models. And while thats frustrating, I'd rather delays than cancelling the Z altogether like other companies have/are doing.

I know itā€™s pretty popular (albeit warranted) to shit on Nissan lately, but I think it's important to also consider the perspective that as a company theyre not far from rock bottom yet still, singlehandedly, trying to bring a new Z to market.

Of the few automakers that still sell enthusiast vehicles, they're either much larger, more profitable companies, produced as a joint venture, or sold as a "sporty" version of an otherwise run-of-the-mill commuter car.
Hagerty said it best in their Z Icons video, in that building an "affordable" 2-seater, dedicated sports car in today's market is risky business. So the fact Nissan is even trying this is commendable.
Meh, the Z is essentially a 370z so that theory doesn't really hold. It's not some bespoke model they created out of thin air. I agree with takemorepills (reminds me I still need to take my morning pills!) theory. Nissan likely doesn't have the buying power of say a Toyota or Honda. Sure we're not seeing GRC's and CTR's flood the market, but they're basically more available than the Z that has been around since the stone ages. Nissan is an embattled company. There is nothing exciting in the Nissan lineup. The Z had an opportunity but reviews are lukewarm. Add in limited availability and people have simply moved on. Myself included. I just stick around cuz the regulars are cool :cool:When was the last time we saw a thread of someone picking up their new Z? Might've been a 370z thread šŸ˜‚

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
It's interesting the reviewer aligns the Z to the Mustang GT350, and claims the Z is "more muscle car than canyon carving sports car".

I'm partial to the 86/BRZ, because my BRZ introduced me to the fun of sports cars and nice pavement handling. And so far it's been such a fun and surprisingly useful car for myself and family on a budget.

A reason I want to test drive a Z before buying, is because I want to test if the Z has the road feel, light and nimble handling of my BRZ, to go along with the Z's superior engine power.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
It's interesting the reviewer aligns the Z to the Mustang GT350, and claims the Z is "more muscle car than canyon carving sports car".

I'm partial to the 86/BRZ, because my BRZ introduced me to the fun of sports cars and nice pavement handling. And so far it's been such a fun and surprisingly useful car for myself and family on a budget.

A reason I want to test drive a Z before buying, is because I want to test if the Z has the road feel, light and nimble handling of my BRZ, to go along with the Z's superior engine power.
Have you taken the new GR86/BRZ for a spin? Maybe the new engine will surprise you? I canā€™t personally speak to them but it seems like people are over the moon!