Difference between 370Z and Z?

LookingForFunCar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I have been following the Z for a few months as I am looking for a fun car with a manual transmission. I have not been able to test drive one, but I am wondering how close does it drive compared to a 370Z, which I managed to drive, but it was an auto version.

For those who drove both, how do they compare in terms of comfort, noise, and interior space? This is my first time venturing into a 2-seater with a tight cabin.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I cant comment on the 370z but id imagine they'd be similar. I find my Z very comfortable and quiet. In fact its too quiet and I can't wait to buy an exhaust lol. Im 6'3 225 and still fit pretty well. Leg space is fine but Im definitely out of headroom, maybe an inch or two to spare lol. I drove mine 5 hours from the dealer and had no issues at all, it was great.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I had a 2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT (kind of a 370Z 2+2) before my 2023 Z Performance 6MT. I find the Z to be much more fun. +70 HP and -200 lbs makes a big difference.

The Z is small, but still very comfortable (I'm 5'10"). Storage is tight.

I had the dealer disable the Active Sound Enhancement and Active Noise Cancellation, and I think it's quiet enough (if you prefer a quiet car).

The Z clutch is much softer than the G37S clutch, and the Z also as SynchroRev Match (which you can turn off) and Hill Start Assist (which you can't), and these make it pretty easy to drive. It almost feels like an auto with a clutch pedal.

Last edited:

Brock

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
The main difference is Power/Tech! My last car was a 2017 6 speed 370Z. I have 6 speed Performance. Shifting is so smooth. Cruze control very accurate, as it puts on the brakes to maintain accurate speeds. Side collision monitoring takes the guesswork out of lane changes. Same gas mileage. And Iā€™m not sure but I think that it will not enable the turbo chargers when too close to another vehicle directly in front of the Z. Would like to know if anyone else has observed this. The hill holder comes on only on severe angles, otherwise not an issue. Overall similar ride, just a lot more enhanced.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The main difference is Power/Tech! My last car was a 2017 6 speed 370Z. I have 6 speed Performance. Shifting is so smooth. Cruze control very accurate, as it puts on the brakes to maintain accurate speeds. Side collision monitoring takes the guesswork out of lane changes. Same gas mileage. And Iā€™m not sure but I think that it will not enable the turbo chargers when too close to another vehicle directly in front of the Z. Would like to know if anyone else has observed this. The hill holder comes on only on severe angles, otherwise not an issue. Overall similar ride, just a lot more enhanced.
Good assessment. My main concern is the clutch action, take-up and feel. I hated the 6 speed on my prev G Sport, too high and hard to modulate touchy for first gear take offs. Secondly, is turbo lag well-managed, not peaky?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good assessment. My main concern is the clutch action, take-up and feel. I hated the 6 speed on my prev G Sport, too high and hard to modulate touchy for first gear take offs. Secondly, is turbo lag well-managed, not peaky?
I still haven't gone above 4k rpm (well maybe just a little bit), so it's hard for me to evaluate turbo lag. The clutch seems easy enough to take off on first, though.

Jughead

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
rogue, wrangler
Occupation
Sales Management
I have owned a 2013 G37 coupe manual and you are right about the clutch. Super touchy and very high release point. Haven't owned, but had as a demo the 370 manaual for 6 months or so, which drove the same way. The manual in the new Z is nothing like the older models. It isn't so "touchy?" Trying to explain it but I am not a gearhead. Much earlier release than before. Sometimes, I feel as though I can't stall it either. Not that I have tried, but I have let it out a bit too soon and I feel as though it realizes I am trying to take off quick and it helps rev up the engine and, (again, for lack of a better word) launches me a bit on take off.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sometimes, I feel as though I can't stall it either. Not that I have tried...
I know, right? At this point in my G37 ownership experience, I'd probably stalled the car a few times accidentally. The new Z: seems impossible to stall.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
My buddy who has a new Z coming from a 370 says itā€™s night and day difference. This is my first z so I canā€™t say anything to that. But my buddy says itā€™s a big difference in terms of power/tech

viciousbru

First Name
Mia
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Proto
Occupation
Accounting
I have been following the Z for a few months as I am looking for a fun car with a manual transmission. I have not been able to test drive one, but I am wondering how close does it drive compared to a 370Z, which I managed to drive, but it was an auto version.

For those who drove both, how do they compare in terms of comfort, noise, and interior space? This is my first time venturing into a 2-seater with a tight cabin.
I just traded in my 2019 370Z Heritage Edition for the 2023 Performace Proto and this is my thoughts on the new one.
2023 Pros
Way more power than the 370 plus my new one has a Vivid Racing tune
Exhaust sounds so much better
Cabin has much less road noise
More leg room
Finally 2 cup holders

2023 Cons
Performance Proto only comes in automatic and I am missing my manual trans.
The new Z handles great but my 370 seemed to stick to the road better. I'm planning on changing out the stock tires on my new one to see if it makes a difference. The new Z, having so much more power and being such a light weight vehicle, breaks loose sometimes when you punch it.
Placement of the speedometer on the dash - I like my steering wheel tiled all the way down and due to where I position my seat for optimal comfort, I can't see how fast I am going without crowching down a bit to see around the steering wheel. It is annoying. I've tried swithing the view on the dash but the wheel still blocks the view.

Overall, the new Z is amazing! I miss my manual transmission but living in Phoenix it is so hard to find a new one for sale. I was on everyones waiting list for what seemed like forever. When this one came in I dropped everything and ran to the dealership. They had two other people there to test drive it but I was first in line. Anyway, the car is fast and fun to drive (tell that to the cop who gave me my first ticket in it!).

Brock

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370z
Congratulations on your new Z! As the new Z weighs in at around 3,600 lbs, itā€™s 100 lbs heavier than the 370 Z. I have never driven mine with the stock tires, as I had them replaced with Michelin Pilot P 4ā€™s before I even drove it lol! It really sticks to the road, although it still has some body roll that I plan on fixing with new suspension parts in the future. šŸ˜Š

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
I just traded in my 2019 370Z Heritage Edition for the 2023 Performace Proto and this is my thoughts on the new one.
2023 Pros
Way more power than the 370 plus my new one has a Vivid Racing tune
Exhaust sounds so much better
Cabin has much less road noise
More leg room
Finally 2 cup holders

2023 Cons
Performance Proto only comes in automatic and I am missing my manual trans.
The new Z handles great but my 370 seemed to stick to the road better. I'm planning on changing out the stock tires on my new one to see if it makes a difference. The new Z, having so much more power and being such a light weight vehicle, breaks loose sometimes when you punch it.
Placement of the speedometer on the dash - I like my steering wheel tiled all the way down and due to where I position my seat for optimal comfort, I can't see how fast I am going without crowching down a bit to see around the steering wheel. It is annoying. I've tried swithing the view on the dash but the wheel still blocks the view.

Overall, the new Z is amazing! I miss my manual transmission but living in Phoenix it is so hard to find a new one for sale. I was on everyones waiting list for what seemed like forever. When this one came in I dropped everything and ran to the dealership. They had two other people there to test drive it but I was first in line. Anyway, the car is fast and fun to drive (tell that to the cop who gave me my first ticket in it!).
Actually, the proto does come in manual as well