Should Nissan consider a model in between the Sport and Performance Z?

Y_PLZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
1. Everyone keeps complaining about the 10k price gap.
2. A number of people have expressed interest in a Sport Z with LSD.

What are your thoughts?

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Doesn't Japan already get a bunch of trim levels?

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
@Dan_Passe has already said no LSD for the Sport Z for 2023. But it could be an option in the future.

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
If sales were to drop, then maybe we'll see a cheaper model below the performance trim?

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
If sales were to drop, then maybe we'll see a cheaper model below the performance trim?
I think we'll see them in the relatively near future, regardless. That they're already producing these other (rather necessary and obvious, in my view) trims in the home market signals to me that this was probably always the plan but that supply issues and general production difficulties threw a wrench in things.

It's either that or Nissan knew that the early adopters would gladly splurge on the top-tier model so they could justify only releasing that trim, for most 2023 model year buyers, coupled with the stripper trim so they could market the car as "affordable." Maybe it's a combination of these factors.

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
While I think it would be neat they offered multi-trim levels. I think in the recent years, with all the shortages, poor automotive sales the manufacturers have really scaled back.

I think Nissan like other large manufacturers are taking a more simplified approach going forward to help try and minimize delays and for efficiency. To be fair for a lot of people going to buy a car with 15 different spec levels, trim levels, options is very overwhelming, and many of those models are never sold, and that leads to them ending production of models. If people go brand new, usually they select a high trim, so they get everything they want, or they go for a base as a cheap commuter and keep the cost down.

I honestly think while Nissan is getting their feet back on the ground, it is a smart idea to keep things simple. Honestly nothing more simple than the average guy going into a dealership and being told, whatcha want, a sport, or a performance package? Automatic or manual?, choose your color. Done.

The Z is a very low volume car in a rather strange market time. Producing multiple trim packages could suicide for the Z. Many will sit un purchased if they pump too many of them out.

Enthusiasts yes may be looking for something in the middle, we all want what we want. But, I think they're focussing right now on bringing the car back, and injecting a little fun back into the Nissan name.

Furthermore, with this Z being a relaunch.. it's still a huge question mark. How many do you produce? Is all the hype online just from us? Why make essentially 3 or more of every car in the first MY when you simply don't know. How are our supply chains running, do we have enough parts to do so, will we have enough "chips" to even build them. Do we allocate parts for a low, or mid tier that may not sell ?

I don't think they've done this to piss off enthusiasts, I think they've done it to maximize production, profit and keep things simple going into the future.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I don't think they've done this to piss off enthusiasts, I think they've done it to maximize production, profit and keep things simple going into the future.
They've definitely done it to streamline the launch, at least in part. Also to maximize profits because early adopters will be likely to purchase top-tier trims. And I think they did it because of the current production realities that all manufacturers are facing, to one degree or another.

Having said that, this provides zero rationale for Nissan to literally never offer other trims or, you know, stand alone options. Regardless of low production volume for a particular model, no manufacturers do that indefinitely, especially when the price gap between the offerings is so large (unless maybe the model were intended to have an exceptionally short life cycle). Plus, we know Nissan is willing and capable of offering two more trims because they are doing exactly that in their home market.

This lineup will almost certainly change. Hopefully soon.

Z34_2.0

First Name
Homer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
More options would be nice. Over time Toyota did introduce a cheaper 2.0 and just recently a manual option. Things are not set in stone and do change over time.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Nissan is not going to put lots of effort into giving customers lots of options and trims as we know the days if ICE are going away. Upcoming Zs, if there will be any, will move forward with new tech like hybridization or full EV, it's coming. In the meantime, the two choices Sport and Performance will maximize Nissan's production lines while at the same time maximize profits.

I like the Sport because it's a perfect 'starter' package, i.e. add your own mods. OTOH the Performance gives you almost everything to the enthusiast, take it or leave it with its pricing.