How much difference will an LSD really make for daily driving?

But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
I'm no expert on the subject, but people are making the Z Sport out to be a squirrely death trap because of the open diff. I can see the benefit of an LSD on the track but what about daily (occasionally spirited) driving? The sport model is right within my budget but the things I've been reading about sports cars with open diffs are a little worrying to me.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Basically, for normal street use, you likely won't be able to discern much of a difference. There are circumstances wherein the LSD will definitely provide superior traction under acceleration but, ultimately, if you're driving (even relatively aggressively) in dry conditions on relatively level pavement, it will probably go unnoticed.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
you will be fine if daily. You will NOT be able to get all 400 (370)hp to the road if you are being spirited or stop light racing.

In the corners the traction control will have more control than you with applying power when spirited or like a mountain road blast.

I think the concern is: If you are frustrated with not getting the speed and power out of it people will disable the nannies and traction control thinking they can better deliver and control the power.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I'm no expert on the subject, but people are making the Z Sport out to be a squirrely death trap because of the open diff. I can see the benefit of an LSD on the track but what about daily (occasionally spirited) driving? The sport model is right within my budget but the things I've been reading about sports cars with open diffs are a little worrying to me.
In daily driving the sport is arguably safer with the open diff. Should be less likely to lose the tail in a spin-out. The non-powered tire should help maintain traction in that regard.

I view the LSD as more performance oriented, for when wanting to hook up both tires for max throttle to the pavement, or for when wanting to slide the rear end around.

You could buy the Sport and have fun, and then if down the road you find you want an LSD, maybe get a better LSD than the Performance offering. So at least for the expense, you get a better setup than the Performance Z version.

OP
OP
But Does It Djent?

But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
Thank y'all for the responses. Definitely glad to have info from people who know better than I. Lol

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
In daily driving the sport is arguably safer with the open diff. Should be less likely to lose the tail in a spin-out. The non-powered tire should help maintain traction in that regard.
Absolutely true in terms of the physics involved, though the stability control system provides a safety net when the vehicle detects a spin-out situation, so it's somewhat less of a real-world concern and more of a hypothetical one. Unless you encounter a situation that the VDC cannot properly handle like driving the Z in, say, snow or on ice. Which would be...ill-advised regardless of the differential setup šŸ˜„

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
It helps maintain control of the car in corners.

Limited-Slip is similar to an Open Differential but utilizes an integrated clutch system. The clutch mechanism locks the left and right sides of the axle together when a wheel loses traction. This is the preferred system for high-performance vehicles such as drag racers and those towing heavy loads.

https://www.sunautoservice.com/about-us/shop-talk/what-is-a-differential-on-a-car/

Last edited:

VISRL

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240z, 280z 300zx Twin Turbo
Exactly. Most people fail to recognize this and think it's the other way around. I really think Nissan considered this when offering a 400hp car at $39K.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
So, doesn't a spin out happen because the rear tires lose traction?

If so, a differential adds traction, no?

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
An LSD is better for taking corners on tracks - when taking a corner fast, all of the weight is transferred to the outer wheel resulting in the inner wheel losing traction, with an LSD torque is redistributed to the outer wheel with the most traction and power is reduced to the inner wheel which results in the vehicle maintaining traction and speed through the turn on the pedal.

With an open diff torque is sent equally to both rear wheels at all times, which means when taking corners at high speeds, the inner wheel (with less traction) and outer wheel (with more traction) continue to spin at the same rates - resulting in the car sliding/slipping and losing traction.

On commutes or sprited driving in dry conditions (i.e. going about 7-8/10ths), won't be able to tell a difference between an LSD or open diff.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
No need for LSD for any street or commute, negligible difference. Most modern street cars still donā€™t have them. Totally safe.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Right, but how many have 400HP at the rear wheels?
That has been my thought on the matter. I understand the physics behind this, and it can be argued that an open differential is equally safe and similarly effective for street driving in dry conditions, but this is an uncommon amount of power relative to most vehicles on the market. It just worries me, in that sense. At the very least, the effect would be that an open diff is unlikely to be able to put all of the power to the pavement during a hard launch. That seems pretty certain.

In fact, now I wonder how many similarly powerful vehicles on the market don't have some kind of LSD... I know that McLaren categorically doesn't use an LSD but they employ a torque-vectoring system that mimics its function, anyway.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Exactly. Most people fail to recognize this and think it's the other way around. I really think Nissan considered this when offering a 400hp car at $39K.
True but also not really applicable to a vehicle with a stability control system. In absolute terms, you are correct that an open differential could help prevent a spin out, however the VDC system is in place precisely to counteract that exact situation. So, realistically, it's not that Nissan omitted the LSD for the sake of giving drivers more control of their vehicles since they equipped the cars with the safety net of the VDC.