therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Lol! Ya! I never even tried the Bridgestone tires. I had purchased purchased the Pilot P4 S’s about 1 month before the car was scheduled to arrive at the dealership. I had them install the tires before I took possession of the vehicle. I had read that the Bridgestone tires were crap lol. I recommend buying them! Kinda pricey, but well worth it! 😀
Good tires will forever be worth the price paid. One could probably argue they're the most important part of the car to NOT cheap out on - especially considering, among other things, they're what touches the ground.

nuthed01

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Golf R Grid, 2023 Nissan Z (pending)
Occupation
Transport Manager
So I took the Z out yesterday, it was 96 degrees in California. Decided to see if there’s a difference between the stock Bridgestones and the recently installed Michelin PS4S tires. The car is a Proto 9 AT.

Key Observations:

- From a dig, in manual shifting mode, first through third gears is a massively noticeable improvement in grip. First gear does no chirp or a minor chirp, and there was no slippage in 2nd-3rd. The engine noise was finally translating to power being put down on the boiling hot pavement. I was literally surprised when I was moving forward without listening to constant spinning tires. It’s like comparing glue on hot tarmac to olive oil on hot tarmac.

- Also from a dig, in auto mode, the car surges forward with far more grip and is no longer making tire screeching sounds until you reach ~ 60MPH anymore. It feels/sounds just a bit like a R35 in auto mode, maybe like a 1/4 version of it.

- On the freeway, the ride feels better, as the Michelins are just a better engineered tire, and that makes the car feel more stable all around, whether it’s on-ramps, taking corners, braking, accelerating, etc. Makes me wonder if Nissan has some longstanding contract or alliance w Bridgestone…

- this is very similar to what happened when I put PS4S tires on my M177 C63 (non-S) version. The stock tires were weak yet when I added PS4s, the slippage in each gear went away, other than the occasional chirp in first, which is understandable.

-the VR30 revs extremely fast, making first gear in the auto a key test of your reflexes. Thankfully I’ve been playing GT for decades so that helps lol. The pull from 5K RPM onward is now much more enjoyable since your tires don’t feel like hair gel.

-the PS4S tires literally transform the car from a slippery, olive oil-laced rear driver to what it should have felt like from the factory—a twin turbo 6 that pulls hard and sticks to the road.

-Again it was 96 degrees and I dunno how big of a difference it’ll be at 60 degrees or lower, but at hot temperatures like this the car is now able to realize more of it’s full potential from my POV.

- PS4S also comes stock on my Plaid so it’s definitely one of the industry’s go-to tires for serious grip. Wondering how big of a difference it would make on an R35 over the stock Dunlops….

IMG_6555.jpeg
Just had some Work ZR10's and MPS4S' fitted this afternoon!

Question; did you have any issue with your TPM after install? My tire pressure reading won't come up at all now, warning light just blinks for a minute then stays on. Thinking i've gotta take it back into Nissan and get it calibrated.

OP
OP
Chokinzoku

Chokinzoku

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Just had some Work ZR10's and MPS4S' fitted this afternoon!

Question; did you have any issue with your TPM after install? My tire pressure reading won't come up at all now, warning light just blinks for a minute then stays on. Thinking i've gotta take it back into Nissan and get it calibrated.
No issues w TPM. The crew at America’s Tire did a flawless installation. Only issue is neither America’s Tire or like 6 Nissan dealers had any clue about the lug nut torque rating. So they mutually agreed on 95.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I just watched this recently, the Continental SportContact might be even better for traction?

Apparently Continental makes good stuff? I honestly know nothing about them but the shop who mounted my tires recently were raving about them. They have some really nice cars too.

Darkhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Good tires will forever be worth the price paid. One could probably argue they're the most important part of the car to NOT cheap out on - especially considering, among other things, they're what touches the ground.
the old man taught me once that when buying tyres, you go for the best ones you can afford, and then another level above that. Nobody regrets having great tyres!

What I want to see is a comparison between the option I chose (advan ad09) and the pilot 4S that 90% of punters are using.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
the old man taught me once that when buying tyres, you go for the best ones you can afford, and then another level above that. Nobody regrets having great tyres!

What I want to see is a comparison between the option I chose (advan ad09) and the pilot 4S that 90% of punters are using.
Without google the 1st thing I can tell you, tire life - PS4Ss last a hell of a lot longer than most "performance" tires. Most tire companies create grip by using a softer compound. Sure it grips a hell of a lot better but, it'll wear out faster. Michelin seems to be one of the few that figured out how to make'em stick without wearing out as fast.

The crazy part is, the all season version (Pilot Sport 4) is 80% as dry grippy as a PS4S but lasts 50% longer.

I'm looking forward to the 5th gen tires. Pilot Sport 5 and Pilot Sport 5S

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Without google the 1st thing I can tell you, tire life - PS4Ss last a hell of a lot longer than most "performance" tires. Most tire companies create grip by using a softer compound. Sure it grips a hell of a lot better but, it'll wear out faster. Michelin seems to be one of the few that figured out how to make'em stick without wearing out as fast.

The crazy part is, the all season version (Pilot Sport 4) is 80% as dry grippy as a PS4S but lasts 50% longer.

I'm looking forward to the 5th gen tires. Pilot Sport 5 and Pilot Sport 5S
They changed the name for the 5's to Pilot Sport S 5. I guess PSS5's is less confusing than PS5S's.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-s-5

It's hard for me to go with anything other than PS4S's until I can get PSS5's. Last 2 cars we bought came with P Zero's. I think they're OK but not quite the same as the Michelins. The new M2 comes with either PS4S or P Zero tires so you either win the tire lottery or you don't.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
They changed the name for the 5's to Pilot Sport S 5. I guess PSS5's is less confusing than PS5S's.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-s-5

It's hard for me to go with anything other than PS4S's until I can get PSS5's. Last 2 cars we bought came with P Zero's. I think they're OK but not quite the same as the Michelins. The new M2 comes with either PS4S or P Zero tires so you either win the tire lottery or you don't.
Thank you for that - I didn't know they swapped the order.

In Bibendum we trust.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
Gets me every time for some reason. Our dude's a big deal.

1690385143926.png
Michelin Tires, Motul fluids - I can't compromise on those 2 things.......maybe I need to figure out a French car I like.

Too bad we don't have the A110 here

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Michelin Tires, Motul fluids - I can't compromise on those 2 things.......maybe I need to figure out a French car I like.

Too bad we don't have the A110 here
You ain't lyin. The A110 S & R are pretty rad. Wish they came here and manual. Less than 2,500 lbs, c'mon now. We miss out on a lot of cool stuff 😞

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
So I took the Z out yesterday, it was 96 degrees in California. Decided to see if there’s a difference between the stock Bridgestones and the recently installed Michelin PS4S tires. The car is a Proto 9 AT.

Key Observations:

- From a dig, in manual shifting mode, first through third gears is a massively noticeable improvement in grip. First gear does no chirp or a minor chirp, and there was no slippage in 2nd-3rd. The engine noise was finally translating to power being put down on the boiling hot pavement. I was literally surprised when I was moving forward without listening to constant spinning tires. It’s like comparing glue on hot tarmac to olive oil on hot tarmac.

- Also from a dig, in auto mode, the car surges forward with far more grip and is no longer making tire screeching sounds until you reach ~ 60MPH anymore. It feels/sounds just a bit like a R35 in auto mode, maybe like a 1/4 version of it.

- On the freeway, the ride feels better, as the Michelins are just a better engineered tire, and that makes the car feel more stable all around, whether it’s on-ramps, taking corners, braking, accelerating, etc. Makes me wonder if Nissan has some longstanding contract or alliance w Bridgestone…

- this is very similar to what happened when I put PS4S tires on my M177 C63 (non-S) version. The stock tires were weak yet when I added PS4s, the slippage in each gear went away, other than the occasional chirp in first, which is understandable.

-the VR30 revs extremely fast, making first gear in the auto a key test of your reflexes. Thankfully I’ve been playing GT for decades so that helps lol. The pull from 5K RPM onward is now much more enjoyable since your tires don’t feel like hair gel.

-the PS4S tires literally transform the car from a slippery, olive oil-laced rear driver to what it should have felt like from the factory—a twin turbo 6 that pulls hard and sticks to the road.

-Again it was 96 degrees and I dunno how big of a difference it’ll be at 60 degrees or lower, but at hot temperatures like this the car is now able to realize more of it’s full potential from my POV.

- PS4S also comes stock on my Plaid so it’s definitely one of the industry’s go-to tires for serious grip. Wondering how big of a difference it would make on an R35 over the stock Dunlops….

IMG_6555.jpeg
Did you go bigger for the rear tires?

-RJM

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
Apparently Continental makes good stuff? I honestly know nothing about them but the shop who mounted my tires recently were raving about them. They have some really nice cars too.
The Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ is the go to tire here in PNW for guys running their RWD sports cars year round. Its a very solid tire for the money.

-RJM