How much difference will an LSD really make for daily driving?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Y'all are generally quite correct about LSD vs. open diff and VSC, especially during reasonable driving.

However, anyone froggy enough will still be able to lose control in this car (and most any modern car) despite VSC, open diff or LSD. All it takes is someone to be at 99% of the limit to make a dumb mistake and go WOT, VSC won't have time to realize what happened.

If someone doesn't understand the vehicle they are driving and are unsure if it's safe probably should be focused on their own driving behavior....

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Y'all are generally quite correct about LSD vs. open diff and VSC, especially during reasonable driving.

However, anyone froggy enough will still be able to lose control in this car (and most any modern car) despite VSC, open diff or LSD. All it takes is someone to be at 99% of the limit to make a dumb mistake and go WOT, VSC won't have time to realize what happened.

If someone doesn't understand the vehicle they are driving and are unsure if it's safe probably should be focused on their own driving behavior....
I meanā€¦. There are ding dongs losing control of Altimas everyday.

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
Not just Altimas. Take a look at the wrecked Supras thread on the sister forum - an LSD didnā€™t save any of those guys from losing controlā€¦ or from other idiot drivers (RIP Mimosaā€™s buildā€¦ that one I just feel bad about).

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
taco bell
Not just Altimas. Take a look at the wrecked Supras thread on the sister forum - an LSD didnā€™t save any of those guys from losing controlā€¦ or from other idiot drivers (RIP Mimosaā€™s buildā€¦ that one I just feel bad about).

Truth. Can't make something idiot proof... they just breed better idiots.
400hp sports cars with in reach of generations that grew up playing grand Turismo = Copart bonanza

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Truth. Can't make something idiot proof... they just breed better idiots.
400hp sports cars within reach of generations that grew up playing grand Turismo = Copart bonanza
Exactly šŸ˜„

A good portion of these stories, particularly when they occur in sports cars, begin with something approximating "I turned off the stupid nanny systems and..."

Remember that lunatic who turned off ESC in his 812 and caned the throttle in London?! Classic error.

Ferrari 812 Superfast Driver Films Himself Crashing In Central London (carthrottle.com)

OP
OP
But Does It Djent?

But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
I mean I'm a good driver, just haven't had a car with 400 hp and was wondering what to expect with an open diff since the performance is slightly out of my budget. I honestly don't think VSC will ever come off so I'm not like super worried or anything

Last edited:

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
taco bell
I mean I'm a good driver, just haven't had a car with 400 hp and was wondering what to expect with an open diff since the performance is slightly out of my budget. I honestly don't think VSC will ever come off so I'm not like super worried or anything

You will be fine. Def nothing to get scared over.
But hey! if you get one and you are in VA come to my track as my guest and we can go easy and have some fun. free instruction....

OP
OP
But Does It Djent?

But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
You will be fine. Def nothing to get scared over.
But hey! if you get one and you are in VA come to my track as my guest and we can go easy and have some fun. free instruction....
That's really kind of you, thank you for that. I am in VA so I may take you up on that if I'm ever able to grab one of these things

BUMBLZ

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z ProtoSpec, 2013 Fire Orange M3
Occupation
Speed addict ;-)
I've only done it a few times, (am I a pro?), but what I can say, It's pretty trippy and cartoon like. šŸ¤Ŗ What was the question again?