RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Typically, I've seen that selectable performance modes are tied to cars that have automated everything (transmissions, traction control, etc), so it makes sense to me that it would only be available in the Zs with 9AT equipped. The biggest benefit to different driving modes is shift points, holding RPMs, and other things like that - wouldn't have much impact in a 6MT. What is a selectable drive mode going to do for you in a manual Z? The throttle tip-in should be sporty/responsive by default, and if they're still using the "old-school" rack and pinion (I believe it's electric assist now instead of hydraulic like the 370Z), there's not much you'd do in different modes other than change the boost in steering assist to change the feel (and for this car, it only needs to feel one way - responsive and direct).

I'll bet the manual is defaulted to quiet mode to make it easier for the Japanese market's noise requirements. They're very strict about that over there. The selectable mode checks the box of having the noise-friendly option.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
This would be an incredibly stupid mishandling on their part. Guess what, my FoRS had an active exhaust and was a manual.

I remember reading that the Performance trim manual transmission will also have launch control and rev matching. But who knows at this point.

If this is the case with no active sport exhaust, no launch control, there's no active suspension, then the manual performance trim pricing should be no higher than $43-44k because what are you getting? LSD, minor aero, a silly Bose system, and leather.

After the pricing debacle, now we have all this flying around. @Dan_Passe when are we getting clarification on this, and ALL details at this point, especially for the US? It seems patience is wearing incredibly thin, especially this close to "available spring." The silence for the USA (which is primary market I thought) is deafening, if not causing much skepticism now in this product.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Strange that there's all these inconsistencies. I noticed there was several other options/specs missing from the Canadian price guide though so I wouldn't go completely go off that. Here is the video of a manual Z launching though so it does have it. Now I don't know if the Sport will have it or not I kind of feel like that would be a Performance trim only feature.

That’s the 9AT No?

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
This would be an incredibly stupid mishandling on their part. Guess what, my FoRS had an active exhaust and was a manual.

I remember reading that the Performance trim manual transmission will also have launch control and rev matching. But who knows at this point.

If this is the case with no active sport exhaust, no launch control, there's no active suspension, then the manual performance trim pricing should be no higher than $43-44k because what are you getting? LSD, minor aero, a silly Bose system, and leather.
Well also according to the original spec sheet both the 9AT and 6MT have rev matching. They're named different, but I imagine it's basically the same thing.
rev match.png

That’s the 9AT No?
You are right that is a 9AT my mistake. The spec sheet has launch control listed as standard for the Performance trim in general, but if it was only for the 9AT I would think they'd have put (9AT) next to it like the 2 options above it.

launch control.png

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Well also according to the original spec sheet both the 9AT and 6MT have rev matching. They're named different, but I imagine it's basically the same thing.
rev match.png
Kinda the same thing, but a couple small technical differences. SRM is very different in that it optimizes throttle levels for both upshift and downshift with the 6MT. Debuted with the 370Z - was the first car in the North American market to ever have such a feature. The BMW M5 followed, then the C7 Corvette, among a small handful of others. The idea behind the technology was to reduce as much chassis shock as possible when shifting gears which is why it was implemented to work for both up and downshifts. Some drivers prefer to turn it off, but I found it works quite well - I loved it in mine. It's very much the same thing in this Z - the button to deactivate it is even in the exact same place on the shifter.

DRM works exactly as you can infer - blips the throttle for downshifts (might only be when in manual mode... I can't recall). My Q50S had this as well as my current QX80. It does not hold the throttle for upshifts like SRM does as I understand it - the AT is programmed to optimize shift points and such on its own without the need for this if I'm understanding correctly.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Kinda the same thing, but a couple small technical differences. SRM is very different in that it optimizes throttle levels for both upshift and downshift with the 6MT. Debuted with the 370Z - was the first car in the North American market to ever have such a feature. The BMW M5 followed, then the C7 Corvette, among a small handful of others. The idea behind the technology was to reduce as much chassis shock as possible when shifting gears which is why it was implemented to work for both up and downshifts. Some drivers prefer to turn it off, but I found it works quite well - I loved it in mine. It's very much the same thing in this Z - the button to deactivate it is even in the exact same place on the shifter.

DRM works exactly as you can infer - blips the throttle for downshifts (might only be when in manual mode... I can't recall). My Q50S had this as well as my current QX80. It does not hold the throttle for upshifts like SRM does as I understand it - the AT is programmed to optimize shift points and such on its own without the need for this if I'm understanding correctly.
That's rather awesome—that Nissan innovated a technology which BWM, Chevy, etc. later adapted.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Yep! It was the single most significant feature of the 370Z when it debuted. No one offered anything like that in 2009. I believe most manual sports cars now have it or offer it, but it's expensive to get once you get all the prerequisites. I think the cheapest thing out there is a Camaro 2SS level car. BMW M2 I believe now has it. I don't think you can get it in a Mustang at all, but I might be mistaken there.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
rev match.png

You are right that is a 9AT my mistake. The spec sheet has launch control listed as standard for the Performance trim in general, but if it was only for the 9AT I would think they'd have put (9AT) next to it like the 2 options above it.

launch control.png
I
I think I agree that the "S" as standard for Launch Control is for both MT and AT. I sure hope so. I just would not make sense to only include it on the 9AT.

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
Yep! It was the single most significant feature of the 370Z when it debuted. No one offered anything like that in 2009. I believe most manual sports cars now have it or offer it, but it's expensive to get once you get all the prerequisites. I think the cheapest thing out there is a Camaro 2SS level car. BMW M2 I believe now has it. I don't think you can get it in a Mustang at all, but I might be mistaken there.
The Veloster N has it.

I really like the SRM in my 370. I went back and forth a lot but I'm not great at heel-toe so I decided it's easiest to just keep it on...lol. I should probably just buy an. automatic. o_Oo_O

Last edited:

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ Love that tech, a big reason (but not the only one) I am going for a Z over the twins. CTR has it as well.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Typically, I've seen that selectable performance modes are tied to cars that have automated everything (transmissions, traction control, etc), so it makes sense to me that it would only be available in the Zs with 9AT equipped. The biggest benefit to different driving modes is shift points, holding RPMs, and other things like that - wouldn't have much impact in a 6MT. What is a selectable drive mode going to do for you in a manual Z? The throttle tip-in should be sporty/responsive by default, and if they're still using the "old-school" rack and pinion (I believe it's electric assist now instead of hydraulic like the 370Z), there's not much you'd do in different modes other than change the boost in steering assist to change the feel (and for this car, it only needs to feel one way - responsive and direct).

I'll bet the manual is defaulted to quiet mode to make it easier for the Japanese market's noise requirements. They're very strict about that over there. The selectable mode checks the box of having the noise-friendly option.
My Megane RS is manual (only available in manual) and has normal / RS / track modes, which affect throttle response, boost, stability and traction control, and I'd guess fuel maps based on the exhaust pops. I'd suggest that the association with ATs and performance modes is more to do with automatics just being the dominant transmission choice in modern cars.

In my opinion, for Nissan to limit a louder exhaust to the AT option would be a misjudgement of the segment that buys manual performance cars.

Reactions: FBD

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
What is a selectable drive mode going to do for you in a manual Z?
In my manual BMW M140i the drive modes adjust throttle response depending on mode selected. I am also pretty sure the rev matching only works when in sports mode, will have to double check as I only drive around in sports mode. My car also has adaptive suspension so selecting the various drive modes will either stiffen up the suspension or make it more comfortable. It also changes the traction control settings depending on mode selected. My car also has an adaptive exhaust so the valves in my exhaust system will be in different positions depending on drive mode selected and it works with my aftermarket Remus Catback system so if I want the exhust to be quiet I just put the car in a different drive mode.

Having the ability to adjust the valves via different drive modes will be the main thing that I would have wanted in the Z. Now I am going to have to get an exhaust system that has a remote to adjust the valves like an Armytrix.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
C7 has selectable modes for both 7MT and 9AT.