Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Nope .....totally different design from the Daimler unit.

This deal never happened with Daimler. Please compare the cutaways of the transmissions....not even close to the same.
Licensing agreement signed in July 2012, Please see section 5....but, I'll take your word for it.

Attachments

Carfr33k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Armada
Licensing agreement signed in July 2012, Please see section 5....but, I'll take your word for it.
Yup....never happened.
Like I said, compare the cutaways photos of the two and you'll see they are not even close. No electric shifter on the Jatco 9...and Daimler doesn't use a centrifugal pendulum absorber either. There are probably 15-20 other things you can spot.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
What do you guys think the seating position and comfort of the seats will be in the new Z? I'm assuming it will be similar to the current 370Z, but I've never sat in one. I did sit in a 350Z many years ago, but don't remember. I'm sure it doesn't sit as low as a Corvette, but may be close to the current Mustang? What about driving in cold weather and/or snow? Is it possible with good winter tires or would it be better to get a beater car or truck for the winter months?

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
What do you guys think the seating position and comfort of the seats will be in the new Z? I'm assuming it will be similar to the current 370Z, but I've never sat in one. I did sit in a 350Z many years ago, but don't remember. I'm sure it doesn't sit as low as a Corvette, but may be close to the current Mustang? What about driving in cold weather and/or snow? Is it possible with good winter tires or would it be better to get a beater car or truck for the winter months?
Dedicated snow tires would work well on the Z; I've seen many use them in the TriState area on their RWD cars.
The bigger issue would be clearance under the car. as well as the car's condition (paint, underside carriage) due to snow, salt, grime etc.

The current z has decent seats (I had the touring leather on my 2012), but the 15+ nismo recaro's are really good (though hold you quite snug).

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
A good set of snow tires and common sense and you will be fine. My current vehicle is a G37 coupe RWD and I've driven through snow and ice covered roads without issue. The only issue would be clearance

OP
OP
Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
370 is actually a little roomier than the 350 once you're in it but the way the roof slopes and has overhangs, you have to tuck your head down to get in and out. The Mk. V Supra is bonkers with it's overhangs.

Also the 370 did away with all of those wonderful cubby holes the 350 had.

Storage is about the ONLY thing the 350Z had over the 370Z.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
Auto insider @Carmaker1 also said "400Z" was just made up by the media.

Carmaker1 said:
Well, considering that the final design was set about 31 months ago, it's not shocking in the least it "stayed true to the concept".
:D
Wasn't really a concept honestly, because everything was locked in 2 years ago and the showcase of "Z Proto" was to give an early reveal, after such a long wait (12 years). Once it's locked in, you can't make any more changes to the sheetmetal (at least until a mid-cycle update).

This ended up costing a quarter of a billion dollars, versus 4x to 8x that amount, to support an all-new RWD modular unibody architecture, which was an absolute non-starter where Infiniti was concerned. Ghosn approved this car as chairman (not CEO), before his arrest some 10 weeks later. RWD ICE Infiniti is just not likely going forward, so this being all-new wasn't going to work by itself.

It would be $100k to be an all-new car, an all new architecture. As January 2018, a new Z was cancelled.

Some of us (myself and 2 others) had mentioned back in the spring of 2018 that a fully 100% new car was dead and then by summer, it would be "heavily facelifted" on the same basis instead for MY 2021 (got delayed after September 2018) at a few hundred million. This is it pretty much, as anything after this is not ICE, just like the 2029 Mustang.

I didn't say much in terms of my annoyance towards and skepticism over "400Z" the last 3 years, but I don't know where the British media got "400Z" and why the rest of the idiotically obtuse media and social media hoes decided to automatically jump on that bandwagon, without verifying it to be credible. One or two places had the audacity to even claim, "400Z" had been trademarked by Nissan. Their proof was a "Z" insignia/logo and nothing else. They pretty much lied.

Knowing Nissan very well due to former business and also the patenting/trademarking process, that absolutely isn't how it works LOL. I checked globally and in comparing some in progress patents of mine (association w/employment, not sole inventor) to existing trademark filings, there's no existence of "400Z" in any trademark database nor internally has that ever been referred to. Seeing this car in 2019 (not yet in metal), it wasn't called that either back then. Regarding the VR30DETT 3.0L TT V6 for Infiniti, it presented a problem back in 2012. In 2011 or 2012, Nissan had filed several trademarks for 2014 G range. In addition to the trademarks "G37" and "G25" first filed in the mid-2000s (circa 2009 for "G25"), new trademarks of "G22d", "G30t", and "G35h" were filed in 2011-12 for the current car.

When Johan de Nysschen became head of Infiniti, months later by the fall of 2012, he quietly ordered a whole redo of the brand nomenclature to Q/QX to accommodate a perceived "downgrade" by ignorant consumers with G30t or M30t (3.0L TTV6) vs G37 & M37 (VQ37) or M56 (5.6L VK56 V8). Plus, reorganize it to something that resembled his time at Audi (A, S, R/RS, and Q).

Infiniti Renaming was announced in mid-December 2012, 3 weeks before the 2014 Q50 was unveiled and several months before 2014 models went on sale. Q50 was designed as the 3rd generation G37 from the onset and never was a Q50 during development.

When it came to Z, it was a similar story with 370Z vs 300Z, so dropping the displacement nomenclature makes sense. As you already know, trademarks have to be secured well before production starts. No 400Z trademarks exist, yet I seeing and hearing how a lot of YouTubers, are calling it "400Z" just for extra clicks and to drive traffic to them.

i-Force Max in example was filed well in advance of Tundra hybrid launch in early 2022. Same applies to most Nissan vehicles and pretty much most companies. Once you start formalizing a vehicle development program, after setting a final design, package plan, and defined set of parameters, marketing and management determine nomenclature/nameplate and file trademarks via their legal team some 2 to 2.5 years ahead. At latest, it's 1 year before launch (see IS 500). What I have seen here, is them take liberty with their reporting and behave lazily.

A lot of car news sites often take everything out of context or create their own muddled narratives, which the next person takes to be (wrongfully) accurate. There are days I just want to turn my brain off and when I read obviously misleading stuff, I become annoyed, because that neuro-vacation ends almost immediately and I have to start second guessing what I read and do their homework.

They need to separate opinion pieces from simply reporting the facts on what's here now and what's coming down the road. This whole attempting to be a cut-rate Jay Leno or Jeremy Clarkson, gets tiring when many of them use that to report info and often get it wrong LOL.

If I wasn't such a busy person nowadays and invested in my professional work (and personal life), I would start a media company and encyclopedia that is all about informativeness and dead on accuracy regarding automobiles, not always being first. Between Wikipedia, YouTubers/social media, and questionable news reporting, it's a clusterfuck of proportions and the rest of us have to play cleanup with their mistakes (ranging from minor to glaring).

Last edited:

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
I had a 370Z for 5 years in CT and NJ winters (only car for first 3). it was fine with winter tires but do NOT get stuck in snow with summer tires like I did in a late April snowstorm.

OP
OP
Houston.RZ34

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
This feels like the early 00's where Nissan had to pivot and do a massive paradigm shift to gain some market back.

Carlos had them cutting costs to maximize profits, that's why we have a ton of cheap FWD, CVT driving appliances/rental cars. Sure it worked great.......for about 10 years at least. Then the brand recognition took a massive hit and here we are today.

They are genuinely trying to make a comeback and I hope they pull through - I hope they keep this energy and this marketing. Nissan was always there for US (the enthusiasts) and it looks like they are trying to cater to US again.....but that's what got them in trouble in the 90s.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
Well at least the new Z won't be stuck using the terrible Mercedes 2-liter turbo 4. It's just laughably awful it the Q50.

50thZ

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 370z 50th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
I bought the cheapest new 10 speed 5.0 in the country last January for $28,750... Sticker is $35k or so. At the same time 370Zs we're going for under msrp anywhere from $27-29k. I happen to sell Nissans too.

I've seen 3.0 Supras priced as low as $48-50k over the past few weeks. If someone wants to be one of the first to own the new Z then that's okay. To each their own, but these cars will be going for under sticker months after the release. C8 Corvettes are priced as low as $60k. Hellcats as low as $50-53k. The new Z will be no different.
Good luck on finding a C8 for 60K

nisslover

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Sedan 6-spd
This feels like the early 00's where Nissan had to pivot and do a massive paradigm shift to gain some market back.

Carlos had them cutting costs to maximize profits, that's why we have a ton of cheap FWD, CVT driving appliances/rental cars. Sure it worked great.......for about 10 years at least. Then the brand recognition took a massive hit and here we are today.

They are genuinely trying to make a comeback and I hope they pull through - I hope they keep this energy and this marketing. Nissan was always there for US (the enthusiasts) and it looks like they are trying to cater to US again.....but that's what got them in trouble in the 90s.
Yea, the new ad is pretty good and FEELS good too. I remember when they were announcing their plans for the turnaround about a year and a half ago and they said they want to bring back "Nissan-ness"... in the moment I was like "what does that mean?" Now seeing this ad and the newer product I get it. Let' hope they can keep this up... marketing ain't never been Nissans or Infinitis strong suit.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Yup....never happened.
Like I said, compare the cutaways photos of the two and you'll see they are not even close. No electric shifter on the Jatco 9...and Daimler doesn't use a centrifugal pendulum absorber either. There are probably 15-20 other things you can spot.
So the 2020+ Titans and Frontiers use the Jatco 9 (GE9R01A), and they do use a centrifugal pendulum absorber but do not use a shift cable while having physical levers to control shifting (the Titan has a column shifter, but it's connected to an electrical sensor - no shift cable). Shift selection is accomplished electronically using a CAN comm signal from the shift control unit to the TCM.

So it sounds like an electric shifter to me. See page 11 of the attachment. Hard to say this unit was designed without use of any of the assets gained from the partnership with Daimler. This is the extent of what I know about the 9 speed we're going to see some variant of in the Z.

Attachments