First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
I'm really hoping to avoid dealer mark up. I've got several friends that want to buy with me so I'm hoping we can all find a good deal at the same dealership. With the shortage of vehicles lately I think its going to be hard to avoid mark up though.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
I'm really hoping to avoid dealer mark up. I've got several friends that want to buy with me so I'm hoping we can all find a good deal at the same dealership. With the shortage of vehicles lately I think its going to be hard to avoid mark up though.
Agreed. Markups only benefit individual dealers. They otherwise shy people away from great cars, and make them lose interest in the car overall. Manufacturers as a whole should really try to ban such practices. Or, in the alternative, cut out the middleman altogether, and sell directly to consumers - I despise dealerships, and such, that would be an absolute dream come true for me.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Dealers have become total aholes during the last year. I for one, would love to just buy direct from the manufacturer. Even if it means getting on a waiting list, that's fine.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Yes ^ @Dan_Passe - Dan, I understand that might not be in your wheelhouse, but it would be amazing if you could kindly pass along the idea of Nissan selling directly to consumers. Nissan would break new ground by being the first major manufacturer to sell directly to consumers in modern times. Just a thought. :cool:;)

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Or step back a bit :D

Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.
— Abraham Lincoln, former president

So...wait for Nismo or jump in the ring now. Heard crazy C8 and Bronco owners willing to put up 20-30K ADM nuts!!

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
They can mark it up, but that doesn’t mean I’m paying it. I have a daily driver now. The Z is going to be mostly for weekend fun, so I can afford to wait them out.

Hopefully I won’t have to wait too long, though!

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Agree 100%

You won't have them by the cajones on this one. They're not going to let you land 2 punches on them.
Especially right now seeing how the market is going; A buddy of mine told me that the dealer he works at will only give $500 more on trades or $500 off the car; nothing else. They're selling everything so quickly that within a day they'll find another customer who wants the same vehicle. Plus with Carvana's buying power right now, dealer's are refusing to match their prices for offers

Mardoc01

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan max plat.
Dealers treat trade-ins as an overall part of the deal. They move the numbers around to trick people into thinking they're getting a good deal, and a trade-in just helps them obfuscate the entire process even more. The dealer always comes out ahead. A car buyer would come out better if they sold their vehicle private party, then use that money on the new car deal. Of course we live in a world of upside-down trade-ins and impatient people, so they convince themselves that they somehow "won" on their trade-in.

The majority of car dealers will not offer to buy your car out-right, these days may be slightly different, but they need to make thousands on something to even justify their overhead, especially since their volumes are down overall.
Actually you should negotiate the price of new car, first. Plus remember Taxes. The trade in will lower the tax burden as well,

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Especially right now seeing how the market is going; A buddy of mine told me that the dealer he works at will only give $500 more on trades or $500 off the car; nothing else. They're selling everything so quickly that within a day they'll find another customer who wants the same vehicle. Plus with Carvana's buying power right now, dealer's are refusing to match their prices for offers
Dealers treat trade-ins as an overall part of the deal. They move the numbers around to trick people into thinking they're getting a good deal, and a trade-in just helps them obfuscate the entire process even more. The dealer always comes out ahead. A car buyer would come out better if they sold their vehicle private party, then use that money on the new car deal. Of course we live in a world of upside-down trade-ins and impatient people, so they convince themselves that they somehow "won" on their trade-in.

The majority of car dealers will not offer to buy your car out-right, these days may be slightly different, but they need to make thousands on something to even justify their overhead, especially since their volumes are down overall.

GNOAK

First Name
Gonz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma and 2003 Mazda B2300
Given the leak, expect dealers to be asking for around 45-47k for a base model. Time to wait for 2023/24

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M4
Given the leak, expect dealers to be asking for around 45-47k for a base model. Time to wait for 2023/24
All the youtube kids will get the first run of them for $5k-10k over asking. Then we'll have to wait about 6 months for them to not offer the crazy price. Atleast in my area, coupes are much easier to be had for a deal during the cold, winter months. We got our Supra for $52.5k OTD after all taxes/fees on a $57k msrp.

GNOAK

First Name
Gonz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma and 2003 Mazda B2300
All the youtube kids will get the first run of them for $5k-10k over asking. Then we'll have to wait about 6 months for them to not offer the crazy price. Atleast in my area, coupes are much easier to be had for a deal during the cold, winter months. We got our Supra for $52.5k OTD after all taxes/fees on a $57k msrp.
What is winter for Californians LOL. The prices on these will probs never go down

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M4
What is winter for Californians LOL. The prices on these will probs never go down
Atleast you guys get to enjoy your fun cars year round. We get like 6 months of nice weather here in Chicago.