Will Dealers Markup The Z?

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
The thing about most people is they like to put their hands on the car, drive it, smell it...

The way to fix this "negative experience" is for dealerships to become ethical, which mostly won't happen. I've worked for and dealt with both extremes.

Manufacturers and dealers have a delicate dance. They rely on the stores to sell product and the stores rely on production. They need service centers and parts (two huge profit centers). Dealers are major campaign contributors so most enjoy statewide bans on direct manufacturer sales. Plus, changing this symbiotic relationship would be incredibly expensive and stupid for the manufacturers.

What can the consumer do? Educate, educate, educate on product. Then, buy with your feet.

One tip: call and ask for new car sales manager (after viewing staff page online) and express your desire to be served by a salesperson strong in product knowledge about the Z. Even though you may know more, you'll probably get a real professional who takes pride in his job. They usually have been there awhile and will enjoy some latitude to avoid engaging in procedures and tactics which are meant to beat down a buyer.

Also, increasingly, manufacturers use customer survey results to determine the level of perks, inventory availability, and dealer cash programs (they get $*** per particular model sold).

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
That doesn't surprise me and they will sale every single one they markup as there will always be people willing to pay it to be the first.

maxdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Tundra
I bought a 370z years ago for a huge discount. The car was not popular and it was easy to get a great deal. The dealer wanted to move the vehicle and the sale was a loser for the dealership.

For all the reasons mentioned we could see dealers marking the new Z up, at least initially. More power to them as it's good old fashioned capitalism. If I decide to buy, I will wait for a reasonable deal.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Don't want to be a downer on this but no matter what we do in 'talks' with dealers we're at their mercy for these first allocations, ADM for sure and no guarantees with any deposits. The later ordering after the mad rush is a better bet on getting what you want at closer to MSRP.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
My biggest gripe against ADM is that I also pay tax on it. 11%...
That is fucked up. Then again, par for the course in Seattle (lived in Oly for almost 8 years).

I don't think the Z is special enough for any kind of crazy markup. I guess it really depends on the production numbers. If it's anything like the previous two Z cars they'll be everywhere.

maxdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Tundra
I don't think the Z is special enough for any kind of crazy markup. I guess it really depends on the production numbers. If it's anything like the previous two Z cars they'll be everywhere.
I rarely see one on the road. Sales numbers were lacking, at best.
Screenshot_20210825-200424.png

Last edited:

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier