First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I wonder if Nismo will offer legal emissions horsepower upgrades, I mean Federal 50 states and possibly international markets also.

In Ford's corner, I'm looking into the Roush Stage 2, dealer installed mods, CARB legal 50 states. Yes expensive but covered under factory warranty. This Stage puts the power up to 750 hp from stock 460 for the Mustang GT. Adds supercharger and cooling components. Very tempting.

I know Stillen used to offer legal SC mods for the older Zs.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I wonder if Nismo will offer legal emissions horsepower upgrades, I mean Federal 50 states and possibly international markets also.

In Ford's corner, I'm looking into the Roush Stage 2, dealer installed mods, CARB legal 50 states. Yes expensive but covered under factory warranty. This Stage puts the power up to 750 hp from stock 460 for the Mustang GT. Adds supercharger and cooling components. Very tempting.

I know Stillen used to offer legal SC mods for the older Zs.
Honestly, unlike Ford and the other V8 domestics, there's not THAT much headroom for power in these V6's.

The most a corporate JDM company would likely tolerate would be, maybe, 50hp, that could be warrantied/CARB. Maybe. Probably not, though.

The Stillen SC wasn't the same offering as what TRD had, and the Stillen SC was basically a disaster (especially for the Titan) and until recent A2A upgrades became available for it, was just a mess.

So, Ford has room for a 60+% increase in power on the Coyote. You DEFINITELY won't see that kind of gains being available from a NISMO CARB setup.

If that kind of stuff interests you, I'd probably strike the Z off your list. I will admit, I have looked at F-150 V8's with the goal of boosting them to over 700HP, as it is very, very doable and has a huge amount of both OEM and aftermarket support. The Coyote is a great engine.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Street legal mods are about to become non-existent thanks to California. It's pretty much gonna be stock or illegal.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Street legal mods are about to become non-existent thanks to California. It's pretty much gonna be stock or illegal.
The more reason I should really consider the Roush kit while it's still emissions legal esp here in CA. It's that $10K dealer installed w warranty, ouch, but 280 hp gain, hmmm nice!

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
What's the basis for your supposition?

There is a story out about a company producing an item that altered emissions controls, but nothing regarding other "legal" modifications.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier

There is a story out about a company producing an item that altered emissions controls, but nothing regarding other "legal" modifications.
EPA Clean Air Act and CARB.

Z hope

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura
Occupation
Retired
The more reason I should really consider the Roush kit while it's still emissions legal esp here in CA. It's that $10K dealer installed w warranty, ouch, but 280 hp gain, hmmm nice!
I went with the Magnuson 2300 on my 2019 pp2 mustang. That was a BIG mistake. If your going to s/c your stang let the dealership do the Roush then you won’t have any worries.

Z hope

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura
Occupation
Retired

If there’s a way to f things up calif WILL get the job done. There working VERY hard on killing anything that has to do with aftermarket on cars.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I went with the Magnuson 2300 on my 2019 pp2 mustang. That was a BIG mistake. If your going to s/c your stang let the dealership do the Roush then you won’t have any worries.
Yes I’ll pay them a visit this week, and hey we’ve got something rare in common 2019 PP2! Love the completely tuned pkg as Ford made them, great balance.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
EPA Clean Air Act and CARB.
Right, but that's the law in the whole country and has been for decades.

The ONLY effect it has on "street legal mods" is that, if the mod affects the emissions control system, it is deemed illegal.

If the mod doesn't change that system, you can do what you want - within the safety parameters of the car.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
With CARB certification components must have EO numbers, the Roush kit has.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Right, but that's the law in the whole country and has been for decades.

The ONLY effect it has on "street legal mods" is that, if the mod affects the emissions control system, it is deemed illegal.

If the mod doesn't change that system, you can do what you want - within the safety parameters of the car.
Practically everything engine related would alter emissions. There's also no provision for race cars. That has NOT been law, that's relatively new (which is why RPM is relatively new). CAA would essentially destroy the aftermarket industry, and most of the shit on the books are derived from CARB.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier