First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
The only people running around without cats are either driving antiques or modified vehicles, which are the extreme minority. I highly, HIGHLY doubt we're "significantly responsible" for ANY mess.

There's no misrepresentation in the RPM Act. It's all based directly off of what the EPA has said or done.
Well, you are correct that its not just running catless. It is also due to SOME tuners running cars in a manner that increases hydrocarbon and other emissions. A small proportion of cars can have a measurable effect on air quality. Yes, measurable.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I thank EPA for the clean air I breath, being old enough to remember the chocking smog of LA back in the day. All the folks running around with catless exhaust are significantly responsible for this mess. And, while I appreciate SEMA in general, they are guilty of gross misrepresentations of much what is going on and why.

You don’t have the right to drive catless on public roads or tune your car in ways that cause it to exceed NAAQS.
LA, to this day, still has horrible air quality.

Well, you are correct that its not just running catless. It is also due to SOME tuners running cars in a manner that increases hydrocarbon and other emissions. A small proportion of cars can have a measurable effect on air quality. Yes, measurable.
Maybe the politicians and elites jetting around are having a much bigger impact on AQ than us plebs?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Even if that were true, we'd be more than offset by the amount of hybrids and electrics on the road.

It's not like tuners are purposely trying to do that, it just comes with the high performance ICE territory.

Again, there's no chance the small community of enthusiasts are having any kind of significant (hell, maybe even ANY) impact on the environment. Hell, half of us don't even drive our cars more than a couple times a week, if that.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Even if that were true, we'd be more than offset by the amount of hybrids and electrics on the road.

It's not like tuners are purposely trying to do that, it just comes with the high performance ICE territory.

Again, there's no chance the small community of enthusiasts are having any kind of significant (hell, maybe even ANY) impact on the environment. Hell, half of us don't even drive our cars more than a couple times a week, if that.
I've heard of many enthusiasts who did catless tuning and eventually had cats reinstalled because they didn't like the funky exhaust smell.

Most modified cars with functioning cats are going to run very clean whilst running stoichiometric closed loop.
Maybe during WOT runs they'll be out of spec, but that's really insignificant, how often does that occur?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
I've heard of many enthusiasts who did catless tuning and eventually had cats reinstalled because they didn't like the funky exhaust smell.

Most modified cars with functioning cats are going to run very clean whilst running stoichiometric closed loop.
Maybe during WOT runs they'll be out of spec, but that's really insignificant, how often does that occur?
The solution is high-flow cats - however, I'm not sure if any high flows are even legal anymore. When I was getting into mods for my Camaro (about 9 years ago now), Kooks Green Cats did very well in places like CA or with anyone that didn't want to have their car tuned to avoid a CEL.

High flow cats on the VR30 may eliminate the need for a tune (and probably won't result in a CEL), but I doubt they're legal in CA, especially with the complimentary sound and smog checks they're getting 😂

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Too bad bad it'll run 15-17k for the Alpha 600 package......I hope this is another "Dinan" situation where you can DIY for much less.
And it's not exactly something any weekend warrior could do. Motor needs to come out to swap out to the Pure turbos. I'd need a lift for that, wouldn't trust a hoist.

Z hope

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura
Occupation
Retired
You young'uns have no idea what the environment was like back in the 70's.

I don't wanna go back there...

Screenshot_20220510-183300_Chrome.jpg
The cars and everything else is completely different now than it was in the 70s. Changing something on your car is now a big deal because Uncle Sam has to figure out how to get more money out of people. And what’s really funny is where was that picture taken because it doesn’t look like California to me.

Z hope

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura
Occupation
Retired
I thank EPA for the clean air I breath, being old enough to remember the chocking smog of LA back in the day. All the folks running around with catless exhaust are significantly responsible for this mess. And, while I appreciate SEMA in general, they are guilty of gross misrepresentations of much what is going on and why.

You don’t have the right to drive catless on public roads or tune your car in ways that cause it to exceed NAAQS.
I think you might wanna do a lot more reading before you jump on the bandwagon of the EPA. Just my opinion. You keep yours and I’ll keep mine

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
The cars and everything else is completely different now than it was in the 70s. Changing something on your car is now a big deal because Uncle Sam has to figure out how to get more money out of people. And what’s really funny is where was that picture taken because it doesn’t look like California to me.
The ONLY thing you cannot change is anything which would alter emissions controls. It's been that way for decades.

And, California is not the only area in the world to experience toxic air in the past.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
The solution is high-flow cats - however, I'm not sure if any high flows are even legal anymore. When I was getting into mods for my Camaro (about 9 years ago now), Kooks Green Cats did very well in places like CA or with anyone that didn't want to have their car tuned to avoid a CEL.

High flow cats on the VR30 may eliminate the need for a tune (and probably won't result in a CEL), but I doubt they're legal in CA, especially with the complimentary sound and smog checks they're getting 😂
I don't think high flows are legal anywhere IIRC. Last time I checked it was illegal to tamper with cats unless they needed replacement.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
The ONLY thing you cannot change is anything which would alter emissions controls. It's been that way for decades.

And, California is not the only area in the world to experience toxic air in the past.
Do you know how many things alter emissions? Again, that's the entire point of the RPM Act. Everything from exhausts to turbos and engine internals were targeted.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
As someone who has been to Manila multiple times in the 90's and early '00's, I can definitely attest to this! Luckily, the last few times there I noticed it is much improved.