Smaller, lighter, more reminiscent of the original Z

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
How long has the current platform been around for now? It's definitely time for a total ground up redesign of the chassis.
The 370Z was introduced on Dec. 30 2008. The 7 year mark is about when most car's get redesigned for the next generation, but I'm surprised they let it go this long given how poor sales are.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
The 370Z was introduced on Dec. 30 2008. The 7 year mark is about when most car's get redesigned for the next generation, but I'm surprised they let it go this long given how poor sales are.
Not look real good for Nissan sports car fans. Automotive News Europe just reported that IDX and Q50 Eau Rouge won't be coming.

Don't be surprised if the Z35 is delayed as well and they just let the 370Z languish for a couple more years.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
Not look real good for Nissan sports car fans. Automotive News Europe just reported that IDX and Q50 Eau Rouge won't be coming.

Don't be surprised if the Z35 is delayed as well and they just let the 370Z languish for a couple more years.
Man the iDx project seems like it was half baked from the beginning. From almost the moment they released the concept it's like Nissan did not seriously consider producing it.

I'm hoping this actually means Nissan has more resources to dedicate to the next generation Z, instead of trying to do too much at once.

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Man the iDx project seems like it was half baked from the beginning. From almost the moment they released the concept it's like Nissan did not seriously consider producing it.

I'm hoping this actually means Nissan has more resources to dedicate to the next generation Z, instead of trying to do too much at once.
Read this: http://www.z35club.com/threads/next-generation-z-to-feature-idx-design-elements.36/

Signs are increasingly pointing to a smaller lighter more basic sports car!
Sad to see the IDX go but the Z is the more important car by far. And if they can mix elements of the IDX and Z together that's the best of both worlds and gives the Z the best chance at success.

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
Sad to see the IDX go but the Z is the more important car by far. And if they can mix elements of the IDX and Z together that's the best of both worlds and gives the Z the best chance at success.
Yup and honestly I wouldn't mind some of the IDx looks in the Z. It's a really handsome car.

Adam

Threads
Reaction score
Imagine this rumor came true, but also with the Z35 getting the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 (good for 400+ hp) from the Infiniti Q60 concept?! A Z like that would tear up the competition!

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I wonder if the Z is really viewed as the more important car to Nissan. They seem to be shunning sports cars or anything risky at this point. The IDX would have had a more mainstream buyer IMO. It hit the right price point and I can see it being used as a grocery getter and light track work. Had the potential to be much less niche than the Z.

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
I wonder if the Z is really viewed as the more important car to Nissan. They seem to be shunning sports cars or anything risky at this point. The IDX would have had a more mainstream buyer IMO. It hit the right price point and I can see it being used as a grocery getter and light track work. Had the potential to be much less niche than the Z.
Fact that they might have canned the IDX but will keep the Z going should tell us which they view as more important. And they're not really shunning sports cars when you consider that when the next Z comes out they will still have the same 2 sports car lineup that they've had since the R35 GT-R came out (and to the US finally) in 2007. If you look back even further to 2001 before the 350z came out, did they even have a single sports car?