Rattle/Buzz behind Traction control button?

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
I've noticed after 175 miles of ownership a plastic on plastic rattle/buzz what seems to be behind the traction control button. If you put pressure on the outer rim of the button while driving it goes away. Also goes away sometimes on it's on when the Z is warmed up inside.

Was this common in the 370s? Anyone know of a simple fix without digging into the dash or wasting precious hours of my life at a dealership?

PXL_20231116_194535526.jpg

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Not really related, but when I picked up my brand new Ford fusion in 2012, I had small black plastic pieces behind the interior door handles rattle like mad. I didn't want to bother with going to the dealer, it seemed like such a waste of time for something so minor. But some people swear for the price of things everything should be perfect. It was driving me crazy once I figured out where it was coming from. My solution was to pop them off and fold a piece of electrical tape and pop em back on. Instantly fixed and it's now been 11 years since šŸ¤£

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
does anyone know if this switch just pops right out or is it bolted in behind the dash?

it seems like all that is needed is just a half turn to tighten something or even just one piece of foam tape

FL 4Motion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 RZ34 Nismo, 2019 JLUR, 2023 Audi Q3
does anyone know if this switch just pops right out or is it bolted in behind the dash?

it seems like all that is needed is just a half turn to tighten something or even just one piece of foam tape
canā€™t help with switch? But my first thought was a small piece of felt glued behind the part of the dash area that rattles would probably fix it. How did you notice this lol.

ps- never noticed anything like this on either of our 370z Nismos fyi. But you might haveā€¦šŸ˜†

I donā€™t mean to make light, but I am enjoying not being the most neurotic fellow in the group for once.

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How did you notice this lol.
well my lifelong superpower is finding the flaws in things to the point where I dont enjoy them šŸ¤£

I should be hired for nissan quality control

but no seriously was just driving without the radio on and my spidey senses perked up.

my 2023 Z had a bad door rattle but it was because when it was tinted they didnt clip back the door cable inside the door panel and it would bang around loose when I hit a bump. that was a easy fix.

at least I know where it is. if it was a mysterious rattle deep inside the dash or something I couldnt sleep at night

if that button just pops straight out this will be easy too just was curious if anyone knew if it just snaps in or is bolted in before I go prying on it

FL 4Motion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
well my lifelong superpower is finding the flaws in things to the point where I dont enjoy them šŸ¤£

I should be hired for nissan quality control

but no seriously was just driving without the radio on and my spidey senses perked up.

my 2023 Z had a bad door rattle but it was because when it was tinted they didnt clip back the door cable inside the door panel and it would bang around loose when I hit a bump. that was a easy fix.

at least I know where it is. if it was a mysterious rattle deep inside the dash or something I couldnt sleep at night

if that button just pops straight out this will be easy too just was curious if anyone knew if it just snaps in or is bolted in before I go prying on it
Please donā€™t go prying on it until we all know how to correctly disassemble. Iā€™d hate to see you make a-small issue into a big one (Iā€™m guilty of this too many times).
If you want to reach out to a great Z and GTR mechanic, hot up Derek Heim (EI racing). Heā€™s also part time at Deland Nissan in CFL. Heā€™s got OCD as well so youā€™ll be in good company.

FL 4Motion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you sure you'd want that job?

Matt: There's a problem, we can't ship.
Nissan Management: Ship it!
Matt wouldnā€™t last the day, too good at his job=let go.
Now, QC for Rolls Royce or Bentley, now thatā€™s a match made in heaven.

eculley

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Z 6MT
Occupation
Engineer
@MCN1SMO I've got a rattle / buzz in that area on my 23' with 2k miles on the odo. I originally thought it was the speaker grill but am now wondering if it's the same thing you're hearing. Do you have a video or anything you can share?

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Please donā€™t go prying on it until we all know how to correctly disassemble. Iā€™d hate to see you make a-small issue into a big one (Iā€™m guilty of this too many times).
If you want to reach out to a great Z and GTR mechanic, hot up Derek Heim (EI racing). Heā€™s also part time at Deland Nissan in CFL. Heā€™s got OCD as well so youā€™ll be in good company.

haha im good no one is gonna have to be outside my house with the megaphone telling me to put the pry tool down. whatever it is its very slight as 2 fingers of pressure on the edge of the button stops it

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@MCN1SMO I've got a rattle / buzz in that area on my 23' with 2k miles on the odo. I originally thought it was the speaker grill but am now wondering if it's the same thing you're hearing. Do you have a video or anything you can share?

I will try to see if it even shows on up video. next time you are driving push against the edge of the button area whole driving and see if it stops. mine does

eculley

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Z 6MT
Occupation
Engineer
I will try to see if it even shows on up video. next time you are driving push against the edge of the button area whole driving and see if it stops. mine does
Went to grab lunch and tested it by putting pressure on the trim around the traction button and the sound indeed went away. You can tell the rattle is something behind the button.

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Went to grab lunch and tested it by putting pressure on the trim around the traction button and the sound indeed went away. You can tell the rattle is something behind the button.

yep ok so at least I know this is a thing now and not just my Z and ive diagnosed where exactly. like I said seems very minor because as soon and you put any pressure its gone. but annoying as hell lol

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Was doing some research....If it's like the 370z. (Probably is the same one?)

It's a button that plugs into a bracket that holds the unit on place. And the outer ring is like a trim piece.

So it could be any of this. I sounds like plastic. Could just be the switch isn't tight

mine does it really bad right when I first drive but sometimes goes away after about 20 mins

1000001021.png

Last edited:

eculley

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Z 6MT
Occupation
Engineer
Are you planning on digging into the dash to try and isolate this further or take it to Nissan? I am not sure I want dealer techs to do this.. I briefly had a Integra type s that came with an insane amount of rattles and the dealer techs made it a lot worse.