Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
https://www.thedrive.com/news/2023-...-NMa9nrYRt6x057Snhbk3aQRINIFpo3Zn1-QnwwYZTkfM

What the exact problem is wasn't specified, but Nissan notes its Tochigi facility uses an automated paint inspection system that can detect flaws down to 0.3 millimeters in size. The plant also uses water-based paint with low-temperature curing that decreases energy consumption and recycles air used in the drying process. It's reported that some part of the painting process—potentially relating to one or all of these steps—is to blame for slow Z production.

"Production of the Nissan Ariya and Z at the Tochigi Plant in Japan has been facing the significant challenges of 1) a limited semiconductor supply and 2) deliveries of components that have been hampered by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic," the Nissan spokesperson said. "In addition, with the introduction of the Nissan Intelligent Factory initiative at the plant, a completely new production system was adopted. Unfortunately, it is taking some time to further improve the production capabilities in the painting and assembly processes. Nissan is making a full and diligent effort to fully regain production capacity at the plant."
https://driver--web-jp.translate.go..._sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
New technology has been introduced in the painting process, and even though the plant is operating as a state-of-the-art factory, there is a problem with the "painting"... “It seems that a similar problem has occurred at Aria, but it seems that the quality cannot be guaranteed."
And the problems continue to roll in..

Last edited:

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
I think I found a minor paint problem on mine but not sure it's the same one causing delays. Around my hatch glass right where the rubber seal is I can see some white coloring. Noticed it the first day I had my car but just thought it was wax residue from the dealer detail. Turns out out I'm looking at it out in the sun today and it appears to be the clear coating flaking around that edge it won't rub of with a cloth or anything. Its really hard to see and doesn't look like it would get worse but something I did notice.

I saw a guy on Facebook have a problem with clear coat on his proto but didn't know the details.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I think I found a minor paint problem on mine but not sure it's the same one causing delays. Around my hatch glass right where the rubber seal is I can see some white coloring. Noticed it the first day I had my car but just thought it was wax residue from the dealer detail. Turns out out I'm looking at it out in the sun today and it appears to be the clear coating flaking around that edge it won't rub of with a cloth or anything. Its really hard to see and doesn't look like it would get worse but something I did notice.

I saw a guy on Facebook have a problem with clear coat on his proto but didn't know the details.
Hmm thats not good. Ill have to take a good look at mine to see if I can spot anything. What was your build date?

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
Hmm thats not good. Ill have to take a good look at mine to see if I can spot anything. What was your build date?

nov 2022

Again it's minor even by my standards. It's hard to get a pic of but you can kind of see it here.
PXL_20230624_221947445.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
nov 2022

Again it's minor even by my standards. It's hard to get a pic of but you can kind of see it here.
PXL_20230624_221947445.MP.jpg
It may be minor now, but how will it hold up in a year, two years, three years, etc? It's sad to see so many issues with the car after customers have been waiting for so long. You would think with how far and advanced technologies are this day-in-age, these kinds of issues would not come up. We don't see any other manufacturers having these quality assurance issues or delays, so what the hell is Nissan doing?

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z

The black on the hatch is a wrap it not painted ,when the rep brought the car by the dealer in May 2022 quite a few of us noted the wrap was actually peeling along the edge and underside of the hatch.

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
The supply has been dwindling a lot recently around here. I check a 250 mile radius like everyday.

The same cars have been there with no new ones for over a month or two now. Down to the final 4 and the same 2 manuals that have been the last manuals on that list for a few weeks now.

It's rough.

rvlbrs

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vnglrs.com
Car(s)
2023 Z 6MT, 2021 Supra 3.0 AT, 2014 Toyota 86 6MT
Occupation
Media Production
I have to say with all this nonsense I find myself lucky to have a car
I feel the same way. My gf and I don't think production will continue as long as they initially intended. I feel like 2025 is probably the year it'll get disco'd.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
It's actually pathetic. And Nissan itself overall is in really bad shape: the quarterly sales results for the U.S. just came out today and Nissan and Inifiniti sold only 244k cars, SUVs and trucks - with a lineup of 17 products and 7 Infinitis.
Sure, a 33% quarter-to-quarter increase over last year. But think about the overhead it takes to maintain all those plants and related infrastructure and partners for so little volume. How long can this continue? What is their strategy?
And 500 Zs in the entire quarter.
Cancelling the Z isn't as easy as it might sound - the same production line also builds the Infiniti Q50 and Q60, as well as the Nissan Skyline. All the same platform. And the Japanese Govt. and unions don't take well to layoffs or shutdowns. You almost can't stop this until the electric replacements are ready - and Nissan is behind there too.

Last edited: