DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Two questions for 370Z owners out there:

Does the rev-matching function when you shift down into first? I read about one car where it doesn't but don't remember if it was the 370Z, might have been the Civic Type R.

Also: is it a smart or dumb system? Does it always assume you are only going down one gear, or is it quick enough to rev the engine higher if you are dropping 2 or 3 gears?

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
On the 370z I drove, yes it works down to first.

If I remember right it'll put in throttle when you start the gate of a gear.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Two questions for 370Z owners out there:

Does the rev-matching function when you shift down into first? I read about one car where it doesn't but don't remember if it was the 370Z, might have been the Civic Type R.

Also: is it a smart or dumb system? Does it always assume you are only going down one gear, or is it quick enough to rev the engine higher if you are dropping 2 or 3 gears?

I've dropped it from 6 > 3, and it revs perfectly each time. From 2 > 1, there is some twitchiness at times, but that's to prevent over-rev (as per the Nissan Tech I spoke to about it). The Z was my first manual, and it was a PITA to learn, but if you can drive the Z, you can drive many of the other manual cars on the market (Z has heavy clutch and flywheel and very very picky clutch engagement point).

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
.... (Z has heavy clutch and flywheel and very very picky clutch engagement point).
I hope this changed with the new Z's Exedy clutch. Even when I had my 08 G35S, I hated the clutch action, that car was hard to launch smoothly.

maxdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Tundra
I hope this changed with the new Z's Exedy clutch. Even when I had my 08 G35S, I hated the clutch action, that car was hard to launch smoothly.
Same here. Prior owner of a G35 coupe and a 370Z, both were manuals. While I got used to the clutches in both, it was never second nature, like Hondas or BMWs that I have owned. It has been a source of internet complaints for close to two decades...hopefully this has been addressed with the new model.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Same here. Prior owner of a G35 coupe and a 370Z, both were manuals. While I got used to the clutches in both, it was never second nature, like Hondas or BMWs that I have owned. It has been a source of internet complaints for close to two decades...hopefully this has been addressed with the new model.
Even after adjusting the pedal the best way that worked for me was to quickly let up to just before take-up point, then slowly engaging gear

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
A lot of the "picky" clutch stuff you guys are talking about is due to the dual mass flywheel.

As for Syncro-Rev Match, it works - VERY well. Nissan invented the technology, Porsche, GM and Ford actually bought the license from Nissan to incorporate it in their own vehicles. It's also clutch insurance - only time you ever have to worry about slipping and burning is 1st gear / reverse starts and hills. It matches PERFECTLY, every. single. time.

I had a 40th anniversary 370Z for a while and, I've never been able to fool it. Even works on tuned and boosted cars.

It's one of those things where once you try it, you never go back. It's a shame it didn't debut until the 2009 370Z - we shoulda had the tech long ago.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Awesome. I've never experienced it (Synchro-Rev Match) before and now I can't wait. Have always struggled the with art of the heel-toe thanks to having clown shoes for feet (size 14), so one less variable in that equation is a win for me.

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
Awesome. I've never experienced it (Synchro-Rev Match) before and now I can't wait. Have always struggled the with art of the heel-toe thanks to having clown shoes for feet (size 14), so one less variable in that equation is a win for me.
Yeah, I've decided to leave my rev match on as I just barely fit in the car and have difficulty with the heal-toe. I can rev match myself but doing it while braking isn't something I can do well so, after going back and forth between on and off, I've decided to leave it on. It also holds the revs for the next gear if you let the rpms drop too much before disengaging the clutch so that helps with the rev hang as well.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Yeah, I've decided to leave my rev match on as I just barely fit in the car and have difficulty with the heal-toe. I can rev match myself but doing it while braking isn't something I can do well so, after going back and forth between on and off, I've decided to leave it on. It also holds the revs for the next gear if you let the rpms drop too much before disengaging the clutch so that helps with the rev hang as well.
If you don't mind me asking, how tall are ya @zeeder ? For being a coupe, these cars seem to be pretty forgiving for those of us who are vertically blessed, which I appreciate

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
If you don't mind me asking, how tall are ya @zeeder ? For being a coupe, these cars seem to be pretty forgiving for those of us who are vertically blessed, which I appreciate
I'm 6'1" with a long torso. I had a fellow lineman in high school who was 6'6" and when seated we looked like the same height. That said, I'm also 350 lbs which, I'm sure, exacerbates things.

OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I test drove a 370Z with the Exedy clutch and IIRC it was fine, not too stiff (and my legs aren't that strong). Maybe not quite as soft as a Miata's but well within the normal range. I had no problem with launching it. The GT86 clutch was definitely more difficult.

Last edited:

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
Houston.Z35 posted the rev match was originated by Nissan which I verified . I not worried at all about the tranny . I did note a review about the electric steering used in the pathfinder was feeling less with no road feel . This needs to be further investigated