Factory audio system questions.

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Seeing this just made me want to pull my door panel off my Sport trim over the weekend and see what I have in there. I will pop off the dash grill to see whats under there as well. Thanks for the motivation

Could that little speaker/tweeter on the driver side dash be for the BSM alert? 🤔 I noticed the BSM alert is very quiet to the point I can barely here it when I play my music. I asked my Fiance if she could here the BSM alert and she said only when the music is off. Other times she says no

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
Could that little speaker/tweeter on the driver side dash be for the BSM alert? 🤔
Believe it very well may be.Hopefully going to be able to test it this weekend to learn exactly what that tiny mystery does/doesn't do. Will post findings when I've got them. Stay tuned!

iztrumental

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo
Maaan you got me hella curious about my system and had it blasting up to volume level 32 last night on my way to pickup my daughter. It sounded good but I will admit it doesn’t sound “premium.”

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
Maaan you got me hella curious about my system and had it blasting up to volume level 32 last night on my way to pickup my daughter. It sounded good but I will admit it doesn’t sound “premium.”
Nope, it sure doesn't. My heart sank when I first turned my new Z's system up on drive home with it. Couldn't believe how poor the performance was. "Premium" my *ss lol. Sub bass is virtually non-existent, and what bass there does happen to be there is incredibly muddy, sluggish, and not articulate at all. Mid-bass, mid-range, and high-range are all very sub-par as well compared to many other OEM premium systems. From what I'm gathering from others (because I'm brand new to Nissan) is that this is nothing new for Nissan who has a long history of crappy OEM audio systems.

iztrumental

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo
Nope, it sure doesn't. My heart sank when I first turned my new Z's system up on drive home with it. Couldn't believe how poor the performance was. "Premium" my *ss lol. Sub bass is virtually non-existent, and what bass there does happen to be there is incredibly muddy, sluggish, and not articulate at all. Mid-bass, mid-range, and high-range are all very sub-par as well compared to many other OEM premium systems. From what I'm gathering from others (because I'm brand new to Nissan) is that this is nothing new for Nissan who has a long history of crappy OEM audio systems.
Luckily for me, my Z is purely a toy and not intended for long drives. My longest planned drive will likely be when I make a trip to Skyline Drive, VA.

Did you at least turn the bass all the way up? It helps a bit for when I’m listening to hip-hop/rnb. When I play one of my face tracks, Renee by the Lost Boyz, it sounds pretty good.

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
Luckily for me, my Z is purely a toy and not intended for long drives. My longest planned drive will likely be when I make a trip to Skyline Drive, VA.

Did you at least turn the bass all the way up? It helps a bit for when I’m listening to hip-hop/rnb. When I play one of my face tracks, Renee by the Lost Boyz, it sounds pretty good.

Yessir, I've gone through all the settings multiple times already. It's basically been like band-aids that never really cure the wound. Tracks with more bass content do of course exhibit more bass output from factory system, but I listen to practically every genre across multiple decades and recording processes so I'm needing a solution that will handle it all with ease. This is very important to me during drive time and I'll get there with upgrades. My Z is a toy as well (good weather, recreational only type use), but do plan on longer drives, like through the Rocky Mountains for example where a cinematic soundscape to go along with the spirited driving is essential and the ultimate goal here. It's just one of the ways I like to make memories.

iztrumental

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo
Yessir, I've gone through all the settings multiple times already. It's basically been like band-aids that never really cure the wound. Tracks with more bass content do of course exhibit more bass output from factory system, but I listen to practically every genre across multiple decades and recording processes so I'm needing a solution that will handle it all with ease. This is very important to me during drive time and I'll get there with upgrades. My Z is a toy as well (good weather, recreational only type use), but do plan on longer drives, like through the Rocky Mountains for example where a cinematic soundscape to go along with the spirited driving is essential and the ultimate goal here. It's just one of the ways I like to make memories.
When I was listening to my station via Apple Music, Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz came on and it sounded good on volume 32. Then “Fly” by Sugar Ray played next and it sounded like shit lol! Oh well. I’m keeping my Nismo pretty much stock so I’m stuck with what I have.

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
When I was listening to my station via Apple Music, Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz came on and it sounded good on volume 32. Then “Fly” by Sugar Ray played next and it sounded like shit lol! Oh well. I’m keeping my Nismo pretty much stock so I’m stuck with what I have.
Right on. I'm actually jealous of that wishing the OEM system was at least at an acceptable level (for us anyway) because I really did NOT want to have to upgrade anything on this particular vehicle.

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
From what I'm gathering from others (because I'm brand new to Nissan) is that this is nothing new for Nissan who has a long history of crappy OEM audio systems.
I am also new to the Z platform. But not new to the stock Bose sound system from car manufacturers. I knew that extra $10k for Performance Package that I saved by going with the Sport Package would be used somewhere else. Part of it is going to the sound upgrade and other part for performance upgrades. Im just upgrading the fronts and disabling the rears. Since the cabin is small, the rears wouldnt be beneficial and a waste of money. A single low profile 12 will be going into the spare tire area and the Amp(s), DSP, and Line Out Converter box will be placed some where that will fit. I might just go with an All In One 5 channel Amp/DSP combo. JL Audio has a vx1000/5i i am looking at. Size may be the issue for hiding it. Trying to make it look OEM and still able to use the cargo area

I've seen a few others make the same sorta change on the sub (either JBL or CerwinVega). Do you mind sharing where/how you routed power from battery to JBL? Also, where did you grab signal from to send to JBL? Any upgrades to any of rest of system (processing, power, speakers)?
I too was looking at JBL (Junk But Loud) and the Cerwin Vega. I dont think I will be satisfied with the SQ of a Powered Subwoofer.

You can run the power wire down the passenger side floor. Get yourself a Line Out Converter box. There is plenty out there to choose from. Crutchfield has a few to look at
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_721/Line-Out-Converters.html?tp=2001&pg=2

Last edited:

drunkumbrella

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2023 Z
I've seen a few others make the same sorta change on the sub (either JBL or CerwinVega). Do you mind sharing where/how you routed power from battery to JBL? Also, where did you grab signal from to send to JBL? Any upgrades to any of rest of system (processing, power, speakers)?
On the passenger side there is a grommet near the battery. Prettu easy access. I disconnect the two rear speaks. And used the factory sub input for the JBL. But you have to have the ASC turned off. I havent made anyother audio upgrades. Justa wanted some bass.

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Plenty of room for a 6x9, tho. Are you planning an upgrade?
Yes I am. Would 6x9 be better since I will be not using the rears and adding a single 12" sub to the spare tire compartment?

EDIT: Nevermind. Going to stick with 6.5"

Last edited:

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Maybe one day I'll consider an audio upgrade. I put a nice system with a hidden subwoofer in my 78z. Full components front. Have three amps in the thing, sounds insane. But, I never have it on because the sound of that L28 is just addicting.

In the new z, I have the tunes on relatively quiet, almost like background noise. I really enjoy listening to the engine response and exhaust note. I could see maybe on some long drives to have some nice tunes cranked. But, for now I'm just having fun listening to the music the car makes haha. And this is coming from a guy that does a full audio upgrade and subs in every vehicle I've owned.