First Name
Danial
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Update on dash speaker locations: After removing the suspect dash speakers' grilles that showed from top view no apparent perforations for tweeter on right/passenger side it's now been confirmed that there is NO tweeter on that side, not even a factory holes for one to be installed. In nearly 40 years of audio I've never seen such a thing. Crazy!

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg

IMG_1207.jpeg
I'm wondering now if this is why nobody can hear my passengers on phone calls. I drive with my daughter in the passenger seat all of the time and when we call my wife, she can never hear her for some reason. Didn't make sense to me before because I thought the mic was on the ceiling somewhere near the dome light buttons, but maybe that tweeter on the driver side is somehow being used as a microphone for in-car calls?

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
I'm wondering now if this is why nobody can hear my passengers on phone calls. I drive with my daughter in the passenger seat all of the time and when we call my wife, she can never hear her for some reason. Didn't make sense to me before because I thought the mic was on the ceiling somewhere near the dome light buttons, but maybe that tweeter on the driver side is somehow being used as a microphone for in-car calls?
No idea. I'm completely stumped with this discovery. I can think of no logical reason why there would only be one tweeter, which of course would kill high frequency separation for both the driver and the passenger. Like you, this has as me wondering now if that's not an actual tweeter on the driver's side for the audio system and instead some other component for something else like besides audio system like you guessed, and the 2.5" on each side are handling both mid AND high frequency (which Bose has been famously known to do and they refer to those type of dual-purpose drivers as a "twiddler."

drunkumbrella

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2023 Z
There's a little speaker by the break pedal too. Not sure it's purpose

drunkumbrella

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2023 Z
Update on dash speaker locations: After removing the suspect dash speakers' grilles that showed from top view no apparent perforations for tweeter on right/passenger side it's now been confirmed that there is NO tweeter on that side, not even a factory holes for one to be installed. In nearly 40 years of audio I've never seen such a thing. Crazy!

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg

IMG_1207.jpeg
The factory diagram shows speakers and squawkers?

AMP.PNG

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
The factory diagram shows speakers and squawkers?

AMP.PNG
Thank for finding and posting this. Much appreciated. Helps solve the mystery of what the audio system actually is/isn't. Interesting that the digram doesn't show the additional component in the front/left dash that appears to be a tweeter, nor does it show the subwoofer. Is this diagram perhaps only for base audio system, not premium?

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
My wife's Rogue is like that. You can barely hear passengers. I thought it was by design.

As for the audio in general, I guess i just never thought it was that bad. I turn mine to like 16 and just cruise. I prefer exhaust/intake noise anyways

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
I replaced the factory Bose sub with the JBL hub. Also I had the dealer turn off the ANC and ASE.
Big improvement!
I've seen a few others make the same sorta change on the sub (either JBL or CerwinVega). Do you mind sharing where/how you routed power from battery to JBL? Also, where did you grab signal from to send to JBL? Any upgrades to any of rest of system (processing, power, speakers)?

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
Just heard from someone elsewhere that the speaker on left side only that appears to be a lone tweeter may actually be a dedicated navigation speaker, which would make sense. I'll pay closer attention next drive and try to see (or hear rather) if that's what's going on with it (Nav prompts).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
Not 100% sure yet, but If that speaker I photographed and posted earlier here which looks like a single tweeter on the left dash ONLY turns out to be a dedicated navigation prompt speaker and NOT part of the actual audio system, then here's how Nissan may be cleverly arriving at their claim of "EIGHT SPEAKER" on their "Premium" Bose system:

Dash: 2) 2.5"
Doors: 2) 6.5" or maybe 6"x9"
Rear: 2) ?" on sides directly behind seats
Sub: 2) tiny woofer speakers inside the single subwoofer enclosure (see pic)

That's 8 total.

Bose Nissan Subwoofer.jpg

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg

IMG_1207.jpeg
Thanks for sharing you experience. This is useful info.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Not 100% sure yet, but If that speaker I photographed and posted earlier here which looks like a single tweeter on the left dash ONLY turns out to be a dedicated navigation prompt speaker and NOT part of the actual audio system, then here's how Nissan may be cleverly arriving at their claim of "EIGHT SPEAKER" on their "Premium" Bose system:

Dash: 2) 2.5"
Doors: 2) 6.5" or maybe 6"x9"
Rear: 2) ?" on sides directly behind seats
Sub: 2) tiny woofer speakers inside the single subwoofer enclosure (see pic)

That's 8 total.

Bose Nissan Subwoofer.jpg
What about the speaker under the dash near the steering column? Dedicated to Active Sound Enhancement (ASC)?

1000019087.jpg

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
What about the speaker under the dash near the steering column? Dedicated to Active Sound Enhancement (ASC)?
That speaker is not part of the Bose premium audio system.

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
UPDATE: K, guys, more info here learned for fellow audio heads looking to upgrade their OEM sound systems.

That speaker in left dash only that initially appeared to be a lone tweeter is in fact NOT a tweeter, rather a cone speaker inside a 1.6" housing. Haven't tested yet, but now suspect as others have earlier that it is a dedicated speaker for something other than the audio system (nav, hands-free cell, etc.). Also took hard dimension of the "twiddler" Bose speakers that are mounted in left and right dash. And the door speakers, also Bose, are measure a standard 6"x9" oval with 3.75" mounting depth at center to the interior window track.

Had another "WTF?" moment when removing the door panel and saw the speaker move a bit naturally. So looked closer and discovered that they aren't even screwed into their plastic supports from the factory, rather simply held in by two tiny plastic clips in middle of each long side 🤦. Not good for a component that's supposed to be perfectly stationary to produce sound moves like that due to silly shortcut. Not to mention that the speaker frame 'mounted' like that can also produce vibrations and rattles due to not being firmly secured to support. It's BS stuff like this that make me wonder what the hell other OEM shortcuts may have been taken in vehicle.

Anyway, here's the pics. More to follow as time allows.

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

drunkumbrella

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2023 Z
Thank for finding and posting this. Much appreciated. Helps solve the mystery of what the audio system actually is/isn't. Interesting that the digram doesn't show the additional component in the front/left dash that appears to be a tweeter, nor does it show the subwoofer. Is this diagram perhaps only for base audio system, not premium?
It's for the Bose. I didn't notice I uploaded only the diagram. Here's the rest.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z® NISMO®
It's for the Bose. I didn't notice I uploaded only the diagram. Here's the rest.
Ah, right on. Thanks. Now we can see the two drivers in diagram as well that are inside the subwoofer enclosure with its own amplifier. So that's how Nissan is able to cleverly arrive at "8-speaker Bose Premium Audio System"