Orders Open on 11/15/21 for 2022 Nissan Z

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
I know we were (originally) told no reservations, however this was just announced - https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/re...-all-new-2023-nissan-ariya-electric-crossover

"The reservation process:

The simple reservation-to-delivery process can be completed fully online:
  1. Customers visit NissanUSA.com/ariya/reserve, set up a MyNissan account, select their Ariya using the Nissan online vehicle configurator and place a $500 refundable deposit.
  2. Customers then select an EV-certified Nissan dealer to have their Ariya delivered to.
  3. After the vehicle is delivered to their dealer, customers can complete their purchase either online through Nissan@Home, or directly at the dealership.
  4. Once customers complete their purchase, they can choose to have their Ariya delivered to their home or pick it up at the dealership."
It sounds so easy! The way it should be!

More on the landing page - https://www.nissanusa.com/ariya/reserve/platinum+/explained
I believe the reason why they aren't doing pre-orders/reservations for the new Z are because they aren't sure how well it is going to sell. Over the last several years SUVs/crossovers/EVs have taken over the marketplace and the outgoing 370Z barely sold. Now don't get me wrong there is a lot of hype behind the forthcoming 2023 Z, however, they can't afford to bite off more than they can chew with how rocky their financial situation is. I'm sure from a corporate business standpoint though, they will wait and see how well the first deliveries sell and then offer orders from then assuming they sell well.

We'll just have to wait and see.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I believe the reason why they aren't doing pre-orders/reservations for the new Z are because they aren't sure how well it is going to sell. Over the last several years SUVs/crossovers/EVs have taken over the marketplace and the outgoing 370Z barely sold. Now don't get me wrong there is a lot of hype behind the forthcoming 2023 Z, however, they can't afford to bite off more than they can chew with how rocky their financial situation is. I'm sure from a corporate business standpoint though, they will wait and see how well the first deliveries sell and then offer orders from then assuming they sell well.

All I can tell you is Nissan Australia opened up official reservations a few weeks back now. Even without any real details, the dealers have been inundated, most have double digit orders, and in the big dealers in NSW there is rumour of one dealer who is up to 26 orders ( and that was a few weeks back)
Now I’m nit stressed because my order was one of the first put in the system Australia wide, but you have to ask the question… how do they hope to fill these orders?

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
A few hundred preorder/allocation requests down under is nothing compered to what Nissan US would receive.

I just spoke to someone at Nissan Australia who said that production numbers and pricing likely wont be known by Nissan until a few months before the car arrives on our shores. So I wouldn't be expecting to hear much until mid 2022.

At least we'll have plenty of reviews from the US market by then.

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Just to be clear, these are DEALER orders, not consumer.

Big difference.
Australia could be a different scenario, interested on how that plays out, compared to US dealer allocations, pricing wise.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
My speculation of first delivery for the Z, based on the 2022 Pathfinder, is as early as March 2022

2022 Pathfinder
Pre-release YT reviews Feb 2021
Final Spec Release May 2021
Delivery August 2021

2022 Z
Pre-release YT review Sept 2021
Final Spec Release [Dec 2021]
Delivery [March 2022]

edit: It's 2023 Nissan Z. Need to fix title of thread. Disregard my speculation above

cantzme

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Q50 RS, 16 Altima, 05 350Z, 04 Titan
Occupation
IT Fool
I've been in contact with a few local dealers. Was able to put down a refundable $500 at one of them for a spot in line to pick from the first ones they get in. Sounds to me like they are taking what they can get at launch without having any say or being picky about it other than maybe the color. They can say i want a white one, black one, blue one etc. but dont get to chose performance/sport or manual/auto. Being told that I can get refunded and walk away if they dont get one that comes spec'd the way I want. Feels like a bit of a grey area to me but i suppose we'll see how it turns out, this will be my first attempt at purchasing a brand new vehicle as soon as it becomes available.

Anyone else ever dealt with a similar situation?

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
I've been in contact with a few local dealers. Was able to put down a refundable $500 at one of them for a spot in line to pick from the first ones they get in. Sounds to me like they are taking what they can get at launch without having any say or being picky about it other than maybe the color. They can say i want a white one, black one, blue one etc. but dont get to chose performance/sport or manual/auto. Being told that I can get refunded and walk away if they dont get one that comes spec'd the way I want. Feels like a bit of a grey area to me but i suppose we'll see how it turns out, this will be my first attempt at purchasing a brand new vehicle as soon as it becomes available.

Anyone else ever dealt with a similar situation?
Been in this situation and had friends in similar as well. Dealers will be told how many they are able to get and they will choose color and trims to fill those spots. Being on the list allows you to choose from those that get delivered.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
Let us hope Nissan will allow us to order new Z online like what they are doing with Ariya.
All at MSRP, BTW.
1637191459694.png

Last edited:

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N

Not trying to be contrarian, perhaps devils advocate is a better way of describing it - either way, putting that aside, wouldn't setting up orders help them more accurately gauge how many people actually want the car, and therefore help establish the minimum of how many they should plan to make? Versus rolling the dice and saying "alright gang, we're gonna manufacturer x total models for the US, hopefully all those rabid fanboys and girls who keep bugging Dan for updates constantly on that forum convert to customers + any other consumers out there and let's see how it does?" Of course, they'd add on top of the minimum for non-orders in order for dealerships to have inventory on the lot, but you know what I'm trying to say.

I also do realize that the deposits are refundable, so they could take into consideration that drop-off in conversions (I'd imagine there are ways to estimate % based upon past experiences, what other manufacturers have experienced, etc.) but still, feels better versus shooting in the dark.

You're spot on about the SUV/crossover/EV angle, which makes it even more interesting (IMO) that they're doing pre-orders for them. Curious what the justification for going this route is on their behalf. Also interesting to note in fine print -

Also, re: 370Z, that's an entirely fair point, but I'd think a lot of the lack of sales near end of life was due to nothing changing on the car yeah?

Let us hope Nissan will allow us to order new Z online like what they are doing with Ariya.
All at MSRP, BTW.
1637191459694.png
That's really promising - @ceric where did you find? I didn't see when scanning the page

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Look, the 2023 models only come in what, 8 colors, 2 transmissions and 2 trims (aside from the Proto Spec), that's it! So, chances are those near large dealerships could most likely score on what they're after, primary or secondary choices. It's too bad dealers have the final say on pricing ABOVE MSRP. Take it or leave it attitude, which is bad for the Z enthusiast.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Not trying to be contrarian, perhaps devils advocate is a better way of describing it - either way, putting that aside, wouldn't setting up orders help them more accurately gauge how many people actually want the car, and therefore help establish the minimum of how many they should plan to make? Versus rolling the dice and saying "alright gang, we're gonna manufacturer x total models for the US, hopefully all those rabid fanboys and girls who keep bugging Dan for updates constantly on that forum convert to customers + any other consumers out there and let's see how it does?" Of course, they'd add on top of the minimum for non-orders in order for dealerships to have inventory on the lot, but you know what I'm trying to say.

I also do realize that the deposits are refundable, so they could take into consideration that drop-off in conversions (I'd imagine there are ways to estimate % based upon past experiences, what other manufacturers have experienced, etc.) but still, feels better versus shooting in the dark.

You're spot on about the SUV/crossover/EV angle, which makes it even more interesting (IMO) that they're doing pre-orders for them. Curious what the justification for going this route is on their behalf. Also interesting to note in fine print -

Also, re: 370Z, that's an entirely fair point, but I'd think a lot of the lack of sales near end of life was due to nothing changing on the car yeah?
I think what it ultimately comes down to are a few key factors. First being that, they are only willing to allocate a certain and limited amount of resources towards making the new Z. Meaning that they are only going to make a certain amount of cars for the first batch, which will probably be far and few across the country at dealerships for first deliveries. This would explain why they are not offering the new Z in Europe. They simply can't afford to allocate the car to Europe because the demand just isn't there for it to make sense.

Second being the problem with pre-orders is customers don't have to take delivery of the car if they don't want to once it arrives. You can order a car and refuse to buy it from the dealership. Then arises the problem that the dealership now has a car sitting on the lot for who knows how long.

Third being they simply just want to see what happens. What do the 1st and 2nd quarter sales look like? Is it outselling competitors? Is the demand outweighing the supply to the point where they simply would be financially short-sighted to NOT start offering orders?

Look, the 2023 models only come in what, 8 colors, 2 transmissions and 2 trims (aside from the Proto Spec), that's it! So, chances are those near large dealerships could most likely score on what they're after, primary or secondary choices. It's too bad dealers have the final say on pricing ABOVE MSRP. Take it or leave it attitude, which is bad for the Z enthusiast.
Honestly I wouldn't be worried about the first batch of cars. Chances are a number of people who are willing to pay over MSRP will dump the car in a year or less. There will be a lot of lightly used Zs on the market a year after first deliveries free of mark ups and already took a depreciation hit.

I'm a Z enthusiast through and through. I own a 370Z. I can tell you the new Z is not revolutionary. It's barely what I would call "new" and certainly not worth paying over MSRP. You're paying for the hype, the need to "be the first one". Both of those are short lived feelings and after time you'll only be a sucker in the end with less money in your account. Personally I'm gonna wait it out and pick up a lightly used Z or wait until they open orders and order at MSRP.

Is it a nice car? Yeah I'm sure it is and I'm sure it'll live up to the hype. But in my opinion, I personally don't see it being worth paying over MSRP.

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I think what it ultimately comes down to are a few key factors. First being that, they are only willing to allocate a certain and limited amount of resources towards making the new Z. Meaning that they are only going to make a certain amount of cars for the first batch, which will probably be far and few across the country at dealerships for first deliveries. This would explain why they are not offering the new Z in Europe. They simply can't afford to allocate the car to Europe because the demand just isn't there for it to make sense.

Second being the problem with pre-orders is customers don't have to take delivery of the car if they don't want to once it arrives. You can order a car and refuse to buy it from the dealership. Then arises the problem that the dealership now has a car sitting on the lot for who knows how long.

Third being they simply just want to see what happens. What do the 1st and 2nd quarter sales look like? Is it outselling competitors? Is the demand outweighing the supply to the point where they simply would be financially short-sighted to NOT start offering orders?

Honestly I wouldn't be worried about the first batch of cars. Chances are a number of people who are willing to pay over MSRP will dump the car in a year or less. There will be a lot of lightly used Zs on the market a year after first deliveries free of mark ups and already took a depreciation hit.

I'm a Z enthusiast through and through. I own a 370Z. I can tell you the new Z is not revolutionary. It's barely what I would call "new" and certainly not worth paying over MSRP. You're paying for the hype, the need to "be the first one". Both of those are short lived feelings and after time you'll only be a sucker in the end with less money in your account. Personally I'm gonna wait it out and pick up a lightly used Z or wait until they open orders and order at MSRP.

Is it a nice car? Yeah I'm sure it is and I'm sure it'll live up to the hype. But in my opinion, I personally don't see it being worth paying over MSRP.
Whilst your responses make sense…it’s only to a point.
On the first point.
In Australia pre orders have opened.
We have actual contracts drawn and signed off on.
There is refunds available for a few reasons…the biggest being if they price is to high (as we have yet to be told this information) and also by law in Aus once a contract reaches 6 months and has not been filled either party can walk away from it no questions asked.
However I don’t see why Nissan US could not release contracts once a price is set and lock people in provided they can produce said car in 6 months.

I agree with the @therumblewagon by setting up pre orders they first can gauge how much, and of what configuration of each to make …at least as a starting point. With limited chip availability this would also save wastage and make sure they end up in sold cars rather than sitting in a dealership.

Secondly it would cut out the price gauging that seems to be prevalent in the US ( in Aus we don’t have it because Nissan Aus sets the price which includes dealer delivery so it’s the same across the board) meaning Nissan would be protecting the integrity of their company.

I really think Australia has got it right ( for a change)
You contact Nissan Aus direct through reservations, who then gives your details to the nearest dealer to contact you and make a reservation. That dealer then sends that information back to Nissan Aus who keeps them in order of date ordered, and the car colours ect will roll out to dealers in that order (within dealers allocations) there is no ripping customers off or going to the highest bidder, but what does happen is those dealers who work hard and get in orders are still rewarded by the built in commission ( dealer delivery) Nissan still get their money…and if anything sell more because the dealers have been more reasonable whilst still pocketing a tidy sum (around 5K per car…keeping in mind there is always a dealer delivery built in in Aus and 5k is more like 3.5 US) …this is my understanding of the process from my dealer at any rate.
By allowing dealers to rip people off the dealers are earning a bad name for the Nissan in my opinion damaging the brand.

Now I know that in Australia we are a much smaller market, I also know we have less choices in terms of configs …but the system works and I can’t see why it wouldn’t on a larger scale

In terms of buying second hand, you’ll be lucky to find any second hand car in Au at the moment, and while that may change in a few years, I doubt these will be flooding the market, meaning limited choices, and limited idea on how the car has been treated before you get your hands on it…even low mileage doesn’t always equal well treated.

My two cents for what it’s worth