*WARNING* If you put money down to "preorder" please read. Nissan confirms NO pre-orders for 2023 Z.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Ok, y’all were correct; ADM of $1000. The dealer signed the agreement. I felt like that was fair in the current climate. I requested blue performance with blue interior with manual transmission. It will be interesting to see if it works out. I’m in no hurry so it’s not a big deal if it doesn’t. I could just wait and get one later but I sure hope it does work out.
The dealer also said they won’t take a deposit until they have the VIN for my car.
As much as I hate to say it, only 1k over MSRP is a steal in today's market - I'm very anti "adjustment" on anything (unless I'm the one selling lol) but even I'd put up with just 1k hype tax..

Houston Dealers aren't playing ball anymore....no holds, no lines, no deposits - may the odds ever be in your favor.

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Occupation
Owner of electrical contracting company
First time posting, I find it strange that the USA can’t preorder ?‍♂ Here in Canada I preordered with Nissan Canada. Received my preorder receipt and preorder number. If I want to change my order selection (I went with the performance package in blue with the blue interior and the 9 speed) I have to fill out a form with Nissan Canada. Our preorder deposit is $1000 or around USD700. Mind you I’m not sure how I‘ll get used to steering wheel mounted paddles, it’s going to be weird having the paddles moving all over the place ?. Wonder if someone will come up with a column mounted paddle set up?

Out of curiosity, does the US not have consumer protection against MSRP pirates? Here the dealer could lose their OMVIC standing. Just noticed all this talk about ADMs…

dkmura

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 350Z track, '06 350Z SCCA touring racecar
Occupation
Freelance automotive journalist
First time posting, I find it strange that the USA can’t preorder ?‍♂ Here in Canada I preordered with Nissan Canada. Received my preorder receipt and preorder number. If I want to change my order selection (I went with the performance package in blue with the blue interior and the 9 speed) I have to fill out a form with Nissan Canada. Our preorder deposit is $1000 or around USD700. Mind you I’m not sure how I‘ll get used to steering wheel mounted paddles, it’s going to be weird having the paddles moving all over the place ?. Wonder if someone will come up with a column mounted paddle set up?

Out of curiosity, does the US not have consumer protection against MSRP pirates? Here the dealer could lose their OMVIC standing. Just noticed all this talk about ADMs…
Last question first, in the US, dealers are considered independent businesses that can set their own pricing. With all the uproar against Federal standards and resistance from the auto industry lobby, there's little chance ADMs will be outlawed.

As for the nine-speed auto, I wonder if there'll be a switch or button to engage reverse and neutral? Are you sure, you don't want that smooth shifting manual to make it simpler for this next Z car?

Reactions: MGD

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20

Oh man…don’t open the ADM can of worms again..l learnt that the hard way?..safe to say Aus and Canada are playing by a different set of rules, and lucky for us they are much fairer

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Oh man…don’t open the ADM can of worms again..l learnt that the hard way?..safe to say Aus and Canada are playing by a different set of rules, and lucky for us they are much fairer
Oh snap! Haven’t been on here long enough, great ??‍♂???. Thanks for the heads up! ?

I will say though our housing market has gone the way of the US, my rural $500k house (which was overpriced in my opinion when I built) is now sitting at $900k and even that might be conservative? COVID really got people to open up their wallets I guess ?‍♂ Boggles the mind!

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Last question first, in the US, dealers are considered independent businesses that can set their own pricing. With all the uproar against Federal standards and resistance from the auto industry lobby, there's little chance ADMs will be outlawed.

As for the nine-speed auto, I wonder if there'll be a switch or button to engage reverse and neutral? Are you sure, you don't want that smooth shifting manual to make it simpler for this next Z car?
Makes sense on the ADM.

That would be sweet, on my NA spec Giulia it can be programmed into the ZF8 tranny but it only gives neutral when you pull both paddles at the same time. I wish the downshift paddle would give reverse as the upshift paddle puts you back into drive. I really considered going manual for the nostalgia but having had the Giulia now with column mounted paddles and the convenience of going into auto for mundane stuff/cruising it’s just so much more enjoyable. That said though, manual mode on the Giulia is MANUAL mode, you miss your shift and you’ll leave teeth marks on the steering wheel when you hit the rev limiter! The only time it will shift for you is in auto or you use the paddles in auto mode for hitting an on ramp or what have you. I wish my wife’s Sentra was a manual though, i couldn‘t care less for speed in that but it would make it fun to toss around Like in my old 200SX!
664DCCD2-CA7B-4ECA-A30B-51E8C3990D5C.jpeg

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD

Re the bolded statement: yes you can submit a form, but guess what? You won't get any car at all if you do so, I checked with the reservation email about a colour change and was told I'd lose the reservation.

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Re the bolded statement: yes you can submit a form, but guess what? You won't get any car at all if you do so, I checked with the reservation email about a colour change and was told I'd lose the reservation.
Yeah, that’s what I’ve read on the Nissan Canada site…if you change anything it’s pretty much game over. So if you keep your pre-order as is there shouldn’t be an issue. That is only logical though. That said, it almost sounds like some dealers may have jumped the gun taking preorders before said preorders were available. I can see that screwing people over, but I’m hopeful that the official preorders through Nissan directly should hold water. The reason I say that is because, in Canada anyway, there was only a limited number of preorder spots available and once that number was reached there was no more chance to preorder. Unlike the dealer path that sounds like they may have made promises they shouldn’t have made ?‍♂ It seems to be like they planned to do a limited run first so people who haven’t preordered through the proper channels will get screwed and be very POd! And if that’s the case the dealers should not have taken preorders but it sounds like the game is played a bit different in some markets.

If 1000 people preorder through dealers when preordering hadn’t been officially available and Nissan says we have 100 cars for said market to be fulfilled through our website there will be 1000 unhappy people.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
Ok, y’all were correct; ADM of $1000. The dealer signed the agreement. I felt like that was fair in the current climate. I requested blue performance with blue interior with manual transmission. It will be interesting to see if it works out. I’m in no hurry so it’s not a big deal if it doesn’t. I could just wait and get one later but I sure hope it does work out.
The dealer also said they won’t take a deposit until they have the VIN for my car.
Congrats.
Just got a 2022 Mazda CX5 for my wife.
I negotiated with 5 dealers to get one at MSRP.. The others wanted ADM from $1k to $3k.
Imagine what will happen to the new Zs.
My guess is (my area), dealers will put $10k ADM on them, and one could probably get it with $5k ADM.
Chip shortage is easing off in H2, but not going away soon.
Situation in Ukraine is not helping.
(some chip making materials come from Ukraine)

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Yeah, that’s what I’ve read on the Nissan Canada site…if you change anything it’s pretty much game over. So if you keep your pre-order as is there shouldn’t be an issue. That is only logical though. That said, it almost sounds like some dealers may have jumped the gun taking preorders before said preorders were available. I can see that screwing people over, but I’m hopeful that the official preorders through Nissan directly should hold water. The reason I say that is because, in Canada anyway, there was only a limited number of preorder spots available and once that number was reached there was no more chance to preorder. Unlike the dealer path that sounds like they may have made promises they shouldn’t have made ?‍♂ It seems to be like they planned to do a limited run first so people who haven’t preordered through the proper channels will get screwed and be very POd! And if that’s the case the dealers should not have taken preorders but it sounds like the game is played a bit different in some markets.

If 1000 people preorder through dealers when preordering hadn’t been officially available and Nissan says we have 100 cars for said market to be fulfilled through our website there will be 1000 unhappy people.
As has been stated on here before there was an official Nissan Canada supported campaign for high performing Zed dealers to receive real allocations based on past units sold. You had to be in contact with those dealers and received a call on Jan 26th. That's what I did. And this prelaunch crowd based on real allocation of cars did not receive a reservation confirmation...we got an order confirmation with the next step being and production number and delivery date. It then opened up to the larger public on Feb 3rd for further reservations which sold out. The advanced orders based on people who've owned Zeds before will be the first group to get a production number and dates.

Reactions: MGD

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
As has been stated on here before there was an official Nissan Canada supported campaign for high performing Zed dealers to receive real allocations based on past units sold. You had to be in contact with those dealers and received a call on Jan 26th. That's what I did. And this prelaunch crowd based on real allocation of cars did not receive a reservation confirmation...we got an order confirmation with the next step being and production number and delivery date. It then opened up to the larger public on Feb 3rd for further reservations which sold out. The advanced orders based on people who've owned Zeds before will be the first group to get a production number and dates.
So now I’m more confused…the advanced group (previous Zed owners) who went through dealerships are getting cars, and getting them before the second group of preorders that were done through Nissan Canada (like me with a reservation number). When I read the OP’s post I read it as if it was just random dealers taking deposits at random not knowing if they were getting cars or not and then an official campaign was brought about and the first group got screwed. From what you’re saying though everything is going as should. I got go back and reread this ?‍♂

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
So now I’m more confused…the advanced group (previous Zed owners) who went through dealerships are getting cars, and getting them before the second group of preorders that were done through Nissan Canada (like me with a reservation number). When I read the OP’s post I read it as if it was just random dealers taking deposits at random not knowing if they were getting cars or not and then an official campaign was brought about and the first group got screwed. From what you’re saying though everything is going as should. I got go back and reread this ?‍♂
The first group who accessed "pre-qualified" Zed dealerships with a history of high performance with GTR's and Zed's were fast tracked for real allocations that were opened up before the national campaign which generated "reservation numbers". Everyone who got a confirmed reservation should get a car this year. But the early group that was invited and called personally to participate before the national reservation campaign should get theirs first. After all, this will be my fourth Zed. I've spent a helluva lot of money on Nissan. In short, the first group was based on real allocations that will form the first production run. The reservation group will form the second production run with delivery by summer or early autumn depending on when you entered the queue.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Perfect for me, late summer/fall gives Nissan time to swat the bugs, and media to push out the reviews.

Last edited:

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Toyota swat the bugs?..
I guess when I think "quality control" Toyota springs to mind more readily than Nissan lol.

If other posts here are accurate, the factory has now been revamped and is almost totally robotized - so allowing Nissan a few months to catch out errant code in that 100 million line stack running the plant may not be a bad thing.