First Name
Danial
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Computer Programmer
The "Hold the button for a long time" trick works for mine. That being said, probably 1/10 times I still accidentally don't hold the button long enough and it stays latched. Annoying but not enough to have them tear apart my rear end to fix.

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Seeing as though most people have not had this issue on the Z yet, you may have sub par springs.
It would be worth finding out. But I can only imagine they would just replace them with other OEM parts. A replacement might be better than what you have, I don't think it could be worse.
Wouldn't surprise me that there could be a recall for the hatch gas struts. With limited number of vehicles on the road, it could take a long time for it to get on the list

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
I had this problem with my 2012 Z34, exacerbated by the retractible tonneau cover. I solved that issue with the coin trick. When I bought my 2014 Z34, I transferred that tonneau cover to it but the hatch popped free of the latch just fine. With my recently-purchased 2024 RZ34, I again transferred that same tonneau cover. I found that the hatch does pop free of the latch, but does take more force than I'm used to in order to lift it up. Very minor irritation...the thing could probably use a little stronger hatch struts...but not enough of an issue to pursue it further.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
It definitely seems like this issue varies from car-to-car. I think I'll take her in to a dealer and ask them to replace the pop-up springs (maybe up to two times). Then try the coin trick.

Racebox

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Racebox
Threads
Reaction score
Website
goracebox.com
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Tuning/ parts installation
I've noticed this a couple of times: I operate the hatch opener, either from the center console or the button hidden in the rear logo, and the hatch pops up a bit, but doesn't fully unlock. Then I try to lift it, and even though it's not fully closed, it won't open. If I press the button again, then it will fully open.
Ours does the same, we just hold the rear hatch button and open it at the same time. Mildly annoying LOL

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
It definitely seems like this issue varies from car-to-car. I think I'll take her in to a dealer and ask them to replace the pop-up springs (maybe up to two times). Then try the coin trick.
Honestly, the coin trick will probably be quicker, cheaper and a better result ;)

MindScape

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z Performance (Black)
Occupation
Market Research
‘23 and have this pretty consistently. Use my trunk twice a day for 4-5 days a week and definitely going to try the coin trick - already had the dealer look and their “fix” was to twist the black spring housings to ‘extend them’ which didn’t work for anything.

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Same. I have no issue with my '24
Went to pick up my white performance yesterday and everything looked good until I walked around the front of the car and noticed when looking at certain angles there was all kinds of lines in the clear coat on the hood ,many with elongated circles or what looked like tracks combining many small clusters of the lines.They tried removing some of them with a type of goo gone citric acid that they use after removing the shipping protection on the hood but didn't seem to work.Of course I didn't take the car and am waiting to see what Nissan says on Monday.The rest of the car looked fine.Just wondering if it could still be the adhesive from the protective covering put on the hood.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Went to pick up my white performance yesterday and everything looked good until I walked around the front of the car and noticed when looking at certain angles there was all kinds of lines in the clear coat on the hood ,many with elongated circles or what looked like tracks combining many small clusters of the lines.They tried removing some of them with a type of goo gone citric acid that they use after removing the shipping protection on the hood but didn't seem to work.Of course I didn't take the car and am waiting to see what Nissan says on Monday.The rest of the car looked fine.Just wondering if it could still be the adhesive from the protective covering put on the hood.
A good detail shop can probably fix this for you, but maybe Nissan will help cover the cost. The car's brand new, so WTF with the scratches?

I've been pretty disappointed with the last two car deliveries I've taken (my Z and my wife's car), both had paint issues (both corrected by my favorite detail shop), but...why?

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
A good detail shop can probably fix this for you, but maybe Nissan will help cover the cost. The car's brand new, so WTF with the scratches?

I've been pretty disappointed with the last two car deliveries I've taken (my Z and my wife's car), both had paint issues (both corrected by my favorite detail shop), but...why?
Just waiting till Monday when they receive a email from the regional manager stating the remedy for this issue.Dealer was told there was a bulliten from Nissan for hood problems.We will see,this will be the 2nd time trying to buy a Z,first time the dealer wanted 6k more for the car when it came in last october.Told them to shove it.New dealer different issue,seems like someone doesn't want me to buy a new Z.

Who.Am.Eye.2716

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
I had finished washing/drying my car and noticed the same thing on the hood and fender. The fender has a vertical line from the edge of the protective film. The hood looks like wripples that could be caused from yanking the protective film off.

At first, my eyes did a double take, and hoping its not scratches in the paint. I rubbed my finger over it, but didnt want to pick at it until I got my clay mitt. Just recieved it the other day and going to see if it takes it out. Most likely its going to need to be machine polished to remove everything and all imperfections on the paint. Then wax seal for that glossy wet look