Sponsored

What diff fluid for a 2024 Z PERFORMANCE (LSD)?

Drago86

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
254
Reaction score
273
Location
California
Car(s)
Z
Everyone using the redline fluid, is the diff working correctly with it? locking up well and no chatter?

I'd like to try Redline when I do the next fluid change as I've used it in other cars and loved it, but I'm a little worried about the clutch diff getting the friction it needs to work.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
Everyone using the redline fluid, is the diff working correctly with it? locking up well and no chatter?

I'd like to try Redline when I do the next fluid change as I've used it in other cars and loved it, but I'm a little worried about the clutch diff getting the friction it needs to work.
Perfectly. I've run it in multiple vehicles and never had an issue on the street, autocross, off-road, etc.
 

dogunbound

Well-Known Member
First Name
Shane
Joined
Mar 9, 2024
Threads
25
Messages
131
Reaction score
96
Location
Houston, TX
Car(s)
Nissan Z
Occupation
Software Engineer
Have you compared temps with thinner vs. thicker fluids? Typically, thinner will dissipate heat better.
Yes, but I'd rather have the thicker fluid as I assume the 90 weight spec is designed for city driving, not track driving. Additionally, it's a 75 weight cold, similar to Nissan's spec.

350F is not the flash point for oil, so no worries yet. If necessary, I could look into this https://www.z1motorsports.com/diffe...3-nissan-differential-cooler-kit-p-47313.html but only as a last resort. Flash point is 440F https://www.banzai-racing.com/store/product786.html so not worried. That is their 90 weight, but pretty sure their 140 weight is similar.
 
OP
OP
Mugzilla

Mugzilla

Well-Known Member
First Name
Matt
Joined
Apr 4, 2024
Threads
66
Messages
617
Reaction score
680
Location
Short Hills, NJ
Car(s)
2024 Z Sport (MT)
Occupation
printer repair man
Everyone using the redline fluid, is the diff working correctly with it? locking up well and no chatter?

I'd like to try Redline when I do the next fluid change as I've used it in other cars and loved it, but I'm a little worried about the clutch diff getting the friction it needs to work.
Great in my stock 6MT performance pumpkin (That I slapped in my 6MT Sport).
 

Thefunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Threads
40
Messages
671
Reaction score
476
Location
Long Island
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance, 2018 Nissan Murano SV
So is the general consensus 75w140 for heavy/track use with a compromise being fuel economy? I'm also looking at Redline but I know Motul makes good lubricants. I have 5w30 Motul motor oil in my Z which was changed back in November '25, last time I checked the oil about a month ago it was still gold colored, no darkness.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
So is the general consensus 75w140 for heavy/track use with a compromise being fuel economy? I'm also looking at Redline but I know Motul makes good lubricants. I have 5w30 Motul motor oil in my Z which was changed back in November '25, last time I checked the oil about a month ago it was still gold colored, no darkness.
75W-140 is a fairly thick lubricant and will run much hotter than a thinner fluid. Personally, I'd stick to 75W-90 or a 75W-110 if you truly think you need extra protection. Redline, Motul, Amsoil...all quality gear oils. I personally run Redline & Amsoil gear lubes in my vehicles, but would have no issue with Motul or even Valvoline.

Oil color is more determined by the efficiency of an oil filter more so than the oil itself. Oil is designed to suspend carbon/contaminants holding it away from direct contact w/metal. The oil filter then removes it from the oil, assuming the micron rating is smaller than the particle.
 

Thefunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Threads
40
Messages
671
Reaction score
476
Location
Long Island
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance, 2018 Nissan Murano SV
75W-140 is a fairly thick lubricant and will run much hotter than a thinner fluid. Personally, I'd stick to 75W-90 or a 75W-110 if you truly think you need extra protection. Redline, Motul, Amsoil...all quality gear oils. I personally run Redline & Amsoil gear lubes in my vehicles, but would have no issue with Motul or even Valvoline.

Oil color is more determined by the efficiency of an oil filter more so than the oil itself. Oil is designed to suspend carbon/contaminants holding it away from direct contact w/metal. The oil filter then removes it from the oil, assuming the micron rating is smaller than the particle.
The last time I was on the track the rear diff oil temp reached a steady 220F, so I think I should accept lower fuel economy for better protection. The increase temperature from the thicker oil will be another trade-off for better protection. I totally hear what you're saying though, even have to consider colder seasons when I just want to drive around town or go on a cruise.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
The last time I was on the track the rear diff oil temp reached a steady 220F, so I think I should accept lower fuel economy for better protection. The increase temperature from the thicker oil will be another trade-off for better protection. I totally hear what you're saying though, even have to consider colder seasons when I just want to drive around town or go on a cruise.
My opinion would be to split the baby and start with a 75W-110 GL5. That will offer vastly superior protection than the OEM conventional 75W-90W, while still dissipating heat more efficiency being a top quality full-synthetic.
 

dogunbound

Well-Known Member
First Name
Shane
Joined
Mar 9, 2024
Threads
25
Messages
131
Reaction score
96
Location
Houston, TX
Car(s)
Nissan Z
Occupation
Software Engineer
My opinion would be to split the baby and start with a 75W-110 GL5. That will offer vastly superior protection than the OEM conventional 75W-90W, while still dissipating heat more efficiency being a top quality full-synthetic.
That's not a bad Idea. I might try a 110 for the diff the next time I do a change.

I will say, DO NOT RUN STOCK DIFF FLUIDS FOR LONG. That shit came out BLACK at 5k miles. I bet the breakin additives they have are just brutal on the diff gears.
 

Thefunk

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Threads
40
Messages
671
Reaction score
476
Location
Long Island
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance, 2018 Nissan Murano SV
That's not a bad Idea. I might try a 110 for the diff the next time I do a change.

I will say, DO NOT RUN STOCK DIFF FLUIDS FOR LONG. That shit came out BLACK at 5k miles. I bet the breakin additives they have are just brutal on the diff gears.
Too late I'm at 19k. Is my diff gonna fall out the car now?:cwl:
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
Too late I'm at 19k. Is my diff gonna fall out the car now?:cwl:
Wear a mask when you change it, she gonna be stinky!

In all seriousness, give it a complete drain and clean the magnet really well before refilling.
 

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
149
Reaction score
125
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
I'd like to dump the differential fluid at the 2000 km mark, same as the engine oil - break-in point. I tend to prefer Amsoil gear oil , I will only drive my car in warm weather months, as it is stored for winter. Canadian summers can be quite hot. 75w90 is my preference over the thinner factory fluid (Sport Auto model with no LSD), Amsoil is synthetic but the non-lsd model doesn't seem to mind a synthetic fluid.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
I'd like to dump the differential fluid at the 2000 km mark, same as the engine oil - break-in point. I tend to prefer Amsoil gear oil , I will only drive my car in warm weather months, as it is stored for winter. Canadian summers can be quite hot. 75w90 is my preference over the thinner factory fluid (Sport Auto model with no LSD), Amsoil is synthetic but the non-lsd model doesn't seem to mind a synthetic fluid.
Good idea on switching over to a quality synthetic. I currently have Amsoil in my Grand Cherokee differentials. Redline in the Wrangler & Z.

Differentials take a long time to warm up which is one of the advantages of a thinner OEM-spec fluid, and why I prefer to run OEM-spec on street cars. Both my Jeeps stood up to the TX summer heat when we lived in Dallas & Houston running 75W-85. The Wrangler sees off-road duty and both tow.

Both Redline & Amsoil offer a 75W-85 GL-5 gear oil. Switching to a synthetic alone is already a huge upgrade vs. the conventional stock crap irregardless of weight.
 
 






Top