Toyota Presents World Debut of the New 2022 GR 86

V35

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G35
Has one here drove the new 86? If so would you pick it over a slightly used 1st gen?

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
The 86/BRZ is a very good car (despite what the power-hungry whiners say). It does exactly what it was designed to do very well. It's also fairly sensibly priced, and for the modders there are a ton of after-market parts available. That's why it sells so well.

It's the only currently available car I'd think about getting if I was forced to replace my S13 200sx. At the basic level it's the same car: a low(ish) 2+2 coupe, front engine, rear wheel drive, manual gearbox. :)

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Idk why they REFUSE to add turbos to these cars.. they'd be so much more appealing that way
Bottom mount turbo would require raising the engine which would raise the center of gravity. It would end up being a heavier, less balanced and more expensive car. MSRP would probably get too close to Z Sport and 2.0 Supra $.

I'm all for boost but it seems like the right move leaving them NA. They're having no problem selling them as-is.

Mardoc01

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan max plat.
Bottom mount turbo would require raising the engine which would raise the center of gravity. It would end up being a heavier, less balanced and more expensive car. MSRP would probably get too close to Z Sport and 2.0 Supra $.

I'm all for boost but it seems like the right move leaving them NA. They're having no problem selling them as-is.
This. Although I don’t think it would get to 40k

V35

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G35
Everyone on the web says a turbo 86 won't ever happen because of product cannibalism on both the Toyota and Subaru side 🤷‍♂️

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ There are after-market kits you can add-on, but it would mean the warranty gets cancelled.

In the real world the speed limits and traffic congestion mean such things aren't real any use anyway, so it's only track users and illegal street-racers who would be worried about it. Toyota already makes a track-ready version for the first (and even runs a specific 86 race series), and probably aren't that interested in selling cars to the second.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
With no Z launch date in site, it being nearly impossible to get a Core Edition GR Corolla, I have decided to just put a deposit in for a GR86. I will have a couple months to get my deposit back so we will see if any new Z news gets released.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
With no Z launch date in site, it being nearly impossible to get a Core Edition GR Corolla, I have decided to just put a deposit in for a GR86. I will have a couple months to get my deposit back so we will see if any new Z news gets released.
Congratulations…dont blame you a bit
@DanPasse should be relaying how many fan sales they are loosing out of frustration due to lack of information

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Congratulations…dont blame you a bit
@DanPasse should be relaying how many fan sales they are loosing out of frustration due to lack of information
Its not the end of the world. My Zupra isnt going anywhere so I have that for the real fun. Just want a newer DD that is still fun to drive. The GR Corolla is really what I am after but have come to reality that I wont be able to get my hands on one for a really long time. Ill just pick a used one up down the road when things settle down. At that point, I will have the complete GR lineup!

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
I'm starting to think I'm going to do the same. I'm going to the NY Auto show next weekend to take a closer look at the GR86 as well as the Z. Maybe get some info haha. By then I think I'll finally make a decision to put money down on the 86. Might as well while we wait for the Z lol.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I'm starting to think I'm going to do the same. I'm going to the NY Auto show next weekend to take a closer look at the GR86 as well as the Z. Maybe get some info haha. By then I think I'll finally make a decision to put money down on the 86. Might as well while we wait for the Z lol.
Might as well do it now. Still a 3-5 month wait if you arent too picky on options. Part of my decision was that I know its going to be a while before you can get a Z without a crazy markup. I can wait. The good thing about Toyota is that you can find dealers that do MSRP only with no hidden fees.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
Might as well do it now. Still a 3-5 month wait if you arent too picky on options. Part of my decision was that I know its going to be a while before you can get a Z without a crazy markup. I can wait. The good thing about Toyota is that you can find dealers that do MSRP only with no hidden fees.
Yeah there's a couple in my area that are doing msrp but no 86 on the lot right now. Going to have to order.