Car(s)
MB
The forum got a shout out.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Blind spots.... the new automotive trend.....

Blind spots are only there if people actually turn their heads.
Nowadays, they're glued to the display with the backup camera.
They worship that camera and are oblivious to what's at their sides anyway.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
All I can see in the side view is Honda Element.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Blind spots are only there if people actually turn their heads.
Nowadays, they're glued to the display with the backup camera.
They worship that camera and are oblivious to what's at their sides anyway.
It depends on the camera implementation. The rear monitor on my wife's 2023 QX60 offers significant coverage of the rear. You basically have no gaps between side mirrors and that rear monitor if you have your side mirrors positioned correctly.

Many people make their own "blind spots" worse by having half their side mirrors reflecting the side profile of the car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It depends on the camera implementation. The rear monitor on my wife's 2023 QX60 offers significant coverage of the rear. You basically have no gaps between side mirrors and that rear monitor if you have your side mirrors positioned correctly.

Many people make their own "blind spots" worse by having half their side mirrors reflecting the side profile of the car.
We have a very diverse fleet of vehicles.

Our new Toyota has BSM and a really good reverse camera, it is clear and very wide angle on a large screen.

My Q60 has reverse camera and sonar parking sensors, very useful.

My old Titan just has sonar parking sensors, pretty useful.

We also have an old Acura, none of that crap. Just excellent sight lines. It's the easiest car to place when driving or parking, so refreshing, old school Honda design was the best. Big windows, low dash, low beltline and tidy dimensions....

These new cars, like the Mazda 3 hatchback, rely way too much on tech to try and offset bad design....

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I can definitely see how all the cameras and tech has freed up designers to experiment with design because they no longer need to design with the attributes in mind that make the example of your old Acura such a nice vehicle to live with.

What makes this worse is the next gen of designers will not know what any of that is like, and we'll soon be driving cars without windows.

My first Titan just had sonar sensors for front and rear, and that saved my bacon several times when I was getting used to where the truck was on the road and in my garage. I didn't have the cameras to go with it, but now I do and I'm thankful for the whole range of assists there. The rear emergency braking is a bit invasive though, and a total pain in the ass with my camper hooked up.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few

That's if they even turn their heads to use the mirrors.
Back up cameras were meant to check if there is anything behind that can't be seen in the rear view mirror. Nowadays, people rely on these cameras where they are reversing quite some distance with it and not know that they are about to swing the front or side of the car into something or someone.

I see this every day. It's painful watching/waiting for them parallel park. Why trust a distorted, grainy view over your own eyes?

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
We also have an old Acura, none of that crap. Just excellent sight lines. It's the easiest car to place when driving or parking, so refreshing, old school Honda design was the best. Big windows, low dash, low beltline and tidy dimensions....
Older cars are great in that aspect. No tech makes the driver drive.

Don't get me wrong, New tech is great but it shouldn't be relied on.
I like the blind spot indicators on the mirrors especially with tinted windows. It's a great aid because you still have to look over at the mirrors.
Backup cameras should only show the bumper and 5 feet of ground so that it cannot be relied on to drive.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Older cars are great in that aspect. No tech makes the driver drive.

Don't get me wrong, New tech is great but it shouldn't be relied on.
I like the blind spot indicators on the mirrors especially with tinted windows. It's a great aid because you still have to look over at the mirrors.
Backup cameras should only show the bumper and 5 feet of ground so that it cannot be relied on to drive.
With the Z, are the BSM lights inside the car?
I like when the BSM lights are on the inside, our Toyota has them in the mirrors, and they can get washed-out by glare.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Nissan is transitioning to the blind spot lights going on the mirrors. My Titan's are that way as well as the wife's 23 QX60. Her 2020 QX80 had them inside.

On one hand, it makes sense because you should be checking your side mirror, and you should see an alert where you're looking. I see your argument for glare, however, my only experience with the alerts in the mirror were on vehicles equipped with the auto-dimming side mirrors. My truck does a pretty solid job of dimming my side mirrors when there's bad glare and I haven't experienced any trouble seeing the indicator. I also have tow mirrors, and that's probably my favorite thing is that extra wide-angle bar mirror on the bottom that gives me an excellent view of anything alongside me.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
With the Z, are the BSM lights inside the car?
I like when the BSM lights are on the inside, our Toyota has them in the mirrors, and they can get washed-out by glare.
The Z has it on the inside, next to the mirrors. As long as auto makers don't put the warning on the infotainment screen.