The Z will be in dealers by May 2022? / Just heard from my dealer - first allocations arriving in May

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
I was shopping for a vehicle recently. Most dealers in my area wanted MSRP + $1k.
One of them said, "MSRP is fine."
"HOWEVER, we have clear film package on it for $899. You need for pay for it."

That package is just a few strips of plastic films on door edges, handles, and rear bumper.
Could have costed them $100 top.
Finally got them to back down on a new arrival w/o the films at MSRP.

Yes. When your dealer promises MSRP (even in writing), make sure you understand what they mean by it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
In the US, a dealer can take your deposit, put you on a list, put "only MSRP" in writing, and they are in no way legally bound to honour that. They are usually only legally bound to refund your deposit. They are free to flip the script, and if they can make $10k profit by burning one person, guess what? You ever met a sales manager who wasn't a scumbag?

Only a purchase contract with an assigned VIN is legally binding.

I highly doubt any US dealer will honour MSRP reservations!

bybepl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman S
Occupation
IT
Mine will. I'll post first picture of my Z before any of you. Not going to spar with you, focus on reputable dealers. Sorry, getting frustrated as I was sharing facts shared from dealer that I have conducted business with for a decade.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Again. Sorry, I meant this to be uplifting new and it's turned into more fear mongering and negative posts. Wasn't my intention.
Some of what we say is somewhat a "warning" because we live in bizarro world.

But, best of luck with your deal! I need to find a dealer that'll work with me. Seems my local Nissan dealership is going to be shifty....

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
So, no one else heard the same thing today from dealer?
There's a couple of dealers in my area on the same strip...Toyota, Subaru, Honda and Nissan. Most selling cars at msrp. Toyota and Subaru with the GR86 and BRZ respectively. Will Nissan do the same with the Z? I highly doubt it because it's really high in demand and I'm still hearing crickets. We'll see what happens.

bybepl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman S
Occupation
IT
Some of what we say is somewhat a "warning" because we live in bizarro world.

But, best of luck with your deal! I need to find a dealer that'll work with me. Seems my local Nissan dealership is going to be shifty....
One other thought guys.

Assuming most of you live in south or fair weather climates, I live in the the north / Midwest and high volume dealers are not seeing huge demand for the Z.

This is because most in Midwest can't afford a car for 5 months out of the year.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Nope. MSRP here with my dealer
Well done…proving that it is possible…..and that I’m not crazy
Cant wait till you post it, now if only we had some good news in our end of the world…guessing June for you guys means Aug/ Sept for us…which was the last estimate given before it promptly disappeared from the pre order screen ?

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
One other thought guys.

Assuming most of you live in south or fair weather climates, I live in the the north / Midwest and high volume dealers are not seeing huge demand for the Z.

This is because most in Midwest can't afford a car for 5 months out of the year.
So in other words…shop around

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
One other thought guys.

I'd be more than happy to travel to a region that would have slow Z sales. Be a great road trip home!

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
op, did the dealer mention how many units they will receive?

was there any info on the colors or trims arriving?

bybepl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman S
Occupation
IT
op, did the dealer mention how many units they will receive?

was there any info on the colors or trims arriving?
They did not say how many, to be clear they are accepting what Nissan is shipping in this first allocation. These are not ordered cars. I will accept anything that is performance trim and a manual and will get first car received. They were lead to believe allocation is based on dealer volume, and they are largest dealer in my state. Hope this helps.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
In the US, a dealer can take your deposit, put you on a list, put "only MSRP" in writing, and they are in no way legally bound to honour that. They are usually only legally bound to refund your deposit. They are free to flip the script, and if they can make $10k profit by burning one person, guess what? You ever met a sales manager who wasn't a scumbag?

Only a purchase contract with an assigned VIN is legally binding.

I highly doubt any US dealer will honour MSRP reservations!
Exactly this.

If your dealer just told you the first allocations will be "limited production" and they also told you they won't have any markups that doesn't even logically make sense, especially in today's market. Anyone who wants the car bad enough will pay extra to get it first and your spot in line isn't going to mean jack shit if Joe Billy comes along saying he'll pay $5k extra.

Also does anyone truly believe a US dealer today would let anyone have one of the first cars for MSRP? If I was a dealer here's what I would do:
- Take delivery of the first allocations and mark them up
- Go down my dealership "reservation list" letting each person who put a deposit down know that the car is here and this is the price if you want it come get it in the next few days or we're going to the next person in line
- If no one on the "reservation list" wants the car because of the markup or whatever other reason, simply list it online and wait a week to see if it sells for the additionally ADM
- If a week comes and it hasn't moved, lower it $1k-2k and repeat.
- The first couple batches of cars will be sold within a month of delivery no question.

These first couple batches of Zs will be the easiest profits made for most dealerships. Any dealership not taking advantage of this is either the nicest dealership in the world or they don't understand basic economic supply and demand.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and honestly at this point it really shouldn't even be news to any of us in the US, but it just doesn't financially or logically make sense to not mark up these cars right now. Simple as that.