Smaller, lighter, more reminiscent of the original Z

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
A lot of sources are saying the next z will be lighter/sleeker and bringing it back more in line with the original z car.

Forty-four years ago, that first Z was designed to appeal mainly to buyers in its biggest market, North America, and the new model will be no different: get a load of the dynamic silhouette in this illustration of how Holiday Auto Magazine sees the next-generation coupe.

While the car will feature a sleek, low-slung body, it will also be downsized from the current 370Z to dimensions that resemble to original Z. And that means it will lose around 50mm in width from the current model’s 1845mm. Our insider says more lightweight high-tensile steel will be used to reduce kerb weight by up to 200kg, to a class-leading 1300kg.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/sports/nissan/next-nissan-z-scooped-38373
that would be a loss of about 2 inches in width and lose up to 440 pounds!

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
400 pound weight loss would be incredible. I'm always a little skeptical about these types of early reports tho that don't cite 'insider' by name/title.

OP
OP

-=Godzilla=-

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT-R
400 pound weight loss would be incredible. I'm always a little skeptical about these types of early reports tho that don't cite 'insider' by name/title.
The 370z isn't even that heavy - 3,232 lb curb weight. If they can just get it down to 3,000 pounds flat that would already be great IMHO.

400 pounds would mean it weighs 2800 pounds which would blow away everyones expectations!

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Yea 1300kg is 2800# ...impossible with today's safety regulations IMO.

As I said earlier price is going to be a major factor for competition. The only way to lose that much weight is to use some more expensive lightweight AL or CF. Seeing as how ithe 370 is pretty light in its class (with at least one of the pony cars gaining weight) i think so long as it doesn't pork up it will be near the top of its class in that category.

MillerP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3
The weight loss rumor figures are always overstated. But if the Z can be trimmed down in size and use some more aluminum and lightweight materials I could see it hitting 3k pounds which is already amazing this day in age. I mean how many available cars are actually under 3000 pounds now? I can count them on one hand.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
The word is it will use high-tensile steel on the Z35 in order for it to weigh in at a class-leading 2,866 pounds.

Will that be doable with lighter steel and is it cheaper than aluminum? Seems the trend is towards more aluminum.

Last edited:

ToTheMax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
The weight loss rumor figures are always overstated. But if the Z can be trimmed down in size and use some more aluminum and lightweight materials I could see it hitting 3k pounds which is already amazing this day in age. I mean how many available cars are actually under 3000 pounds now? I can count them on one hand.
One of them that you can count is the FR-S/BRZ which weighs 2800 pounds and is virtually the same exact length of the 370Z. So it's actually possible to hit that kind of weight even if the Z doesn't get downsized.

Nissan Z commercial ad video.jpg

Yolo2014

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
Yea 1300kg is 2800# ...impossible with today's safety regulations IMO.

As I said earlier price is going to be a major factor for competition. The only way to lose that much weight is to use some more expensive lightweight AL or CF. Seeing as how ithe 370 is pretty light in its class (with at least one of the pony cars gaining weight) i think so long as it doesn't pork up it will be near the top of its class in that category.
Speaking of pony cars gaining weight I hope that this isn't going to be a case of Nissan hinting that the next car will be smaller and lighter only to have it actually gain weight over the 370... like how the new Mustang somehow managed to gain weight despite being a ground-up redesign. :eek:

OP
OP

-=Godzilla=-

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT-R
The word is it will use high-tensile steel on the Z35 in order for it to weigh in at a class-leading 2,866 pounds.

Will that be doable with lighter steel and is it cheaper than aluminum? Seems the trend is towards more aluminum.
I don't think the Z needs to be class leading in weight. It just needs to not pack on more and get that price DOWN.
Speaking of pony cars gaining weight I hope that this isn't going to be a case of Nissan hinting that the next car will be smaller and lighter only to have it actually gain weight over the 370... like how the new Mustang somehow managed to gain weight despite being a ground-up redesign. :eek:
Don't think Nissan will let that happen. With the Mustang it's not like the previous one wasn't selling well so they didn't really need shave much weight or give it much higher performance. But the 370z is selling like crap so Nissan must realize they need to do something drastic to make sure the successor successful.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
I don't think the Z needs to be class leading in weight. It just needs to not pack on more and get that price DOWN.

Don't think Nissan will let that happen. With the Mustang it's not like the previous one wasn't selling well so they didn't really need shave much weight or give it much higher performance. But the 370z is selling like crap so Nissan must realize they need to do something drastic to make sure the successor successful.
Totally right man.. comparing to the mustang is apples to oranges. As much as i love the Z you can't compare it to an iconic brand that have people buying it just cuz it's called a mustang. The Z has some loyal followers but nothing close to that.

Nissan at least seems to be saying all the right things about bringing the car back to its roots so I'm hopeful.

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
I'm hoping they drop enough weight and size to just call it a 240z but please please don't bastardize the name by just putting out another 370z porker and using the 240z to try to sell it as a return to roots kinda thing.

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO

Aluminum is still not predominantly used in cars around this price point. You get the mustang which has an aluminum hood and i think a few parts here and there but it's still too expensive I thnk. One area of savings woud be a smaller engine though. Probably won't see a V8 in the Z.

Adam

Threads
Reaction score
Aluminum is still not predominantly used in cars around this price point. You get the mustang which has an aluminum hood and i think a few parts here and there but it's still too expensive I thnk. One area of savings woud be a smaller engine though. Probably won't see a V8 in the Z.
If it gets the Q60's turbo v6 engine it won't be lighter, if at all compared to the current VQ engine. It stands to lose significant weight though if they end up building it on an all new ground-up platform. That's what I'm hoping for bc if they build it on the current Z platform, there's not going to be much weight shaved if at all.

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
How long has the current platform been around for now? It's definitely time for a total ground up redesign of the chassis.