Should Nissan bring back the 2+2 layout?

Would you be interested in a 2+2 Z35?

• Total voters

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I have been around Z's for a long time now. And I have owned a few. Fortunately never had to deal with a 2+2 version.

I agree the Z32 version was the best version of it, I could only ever really tell by checking the fuel door, aside from looking in the window.

Currently, the Q60 is exactly a "Z 2+2". In fact, I'd even argue it is a "ZX 2+2". There's no need to have this car as a "Z", just get the Q60.

To me, the BIGGEST draw to the Z outside of my nostalgia for the Z, is the fact it is a 2 seater. To own a Z is a "commitment". I will be selling my Q60 so I can obtain a Z. We rarely use the backseat in the Q60, I have a truck and my wife has a 5 door car, so the 2 seats are not a problem.

As far as the Q60 is concerned, it is WAY overpriced and quite outdated at this point. I think Infiniti may be able to do a soft-refresh of it, offer a 6MT version with updated infotainment and cut out the leather, sunroof, and whatever else drives the cost of the Q60 to easily deep 50's/over 60K. I find it odd that the new Z is going to be "in the 40's" when the Q60 is way above that for what is essentially the same car, just tarted up a bit.

Petemo94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
11 G37 Coupe, 93 300ZX NA Coupe
Occupation
Engineer
@takemorepills - your description of the Q60 is perfect. Agree too that it’s overpriced. I’m subtly searching for a used one and they are still too overpriced (yes, I know all used cars are priced high)

But my perfect setup is a Q60RS with a Z34 vert but I’ll have to settle for my current set of cars: 11’ G37 coupe (2+2) and a 93’ Z32 NA coupe. Not a bad consolation I guess

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
The best 2+2 manual-equipped coupe Nissan ever built for America was the 08-14 G37/Q60 coupe. The current gen Q60 feels too artificial in the steering/handling dept. The G37, while a bit hefty in feel, had the right weighting and feel with its steering and employed an exterior design that has aged extremely well - I think it looks better than the current gen Q60 (that's not a knock on the Q60 - I quite like it, but I don't think it will age nearly as gracefully as the G37 coupe).

While a 2+2 Z would be an ideal offering for me and where I am in life, as far as Zs go I prefer the 2 seat setup, and I still plan to purchase one. However, a wrench thrown into the works would be offering the current Q60 with a manual transmission. I would likely go with that over a Z if it existed, even with the lesser-desired steering feel.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Definitely in the 2 seater camp just purely based on the styling in the generations it was offered. I've never quite been able to articulate why I wasn't a fan of the Z32 styling, and I'm now realising its just the 2+2 that looks off to me.

I'm not against the new Z having a 2+2 option, but only if it didn't raise the price of the 2 seater or affect its viability.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
While understanding the enjoyment of sometimes just going out for "a drive", the Z will be more fun for myself and family, if flexible enough to also use as regular transportation that includes running errands with cargo, and on longer trips for vacations etc. And 2x2 helps with that, even when only 2 occupants.

Last summer, my son travelled with a friend on a two week camping/hiking trip from Chicago to Colorado, in our 2x2 BRZ. Loaded with cooler, camping gear, food and everything else needed for such a vacation. It required some careful packing, but was a highlight of their summer ... hiking and camping and driving the mountain roads all over Colorado. I'm not sure how well (or if) a Z would have worked, given what seems a more limited cargo space.

I agree with others not wanting to see the true nature of the Z messed up with 2x2. But won't deny, the 2x2 for cargo and passengers in a pinch, has been nice with our BRZ. If only a 2-seater, I probably would not have gotten that car.

ColoradoTripBRZ.jpg

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus CT200h Lexus GX 570
Nissan should offer the Z with a 2+2 and the option to do a “rear seat delete”! ?