First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Buguatti Trax
Occupation
CUV Enthusiast
It's not like they developed a new engine for the Z. At least that would be somewhat understandable.

Y'all need to stop using inflation as an excuse. That's been blown out the water already (or do I need to keep bringing up the Corvette or even the Supra?). The base price for a 370Z was $30k. I can understand a $5k jump to the base 2023 Z but $10k is hard to justify, and a $20k jump to the only other trim level is just ridiculous. The Proto price I'm ok with. It's an extremely limited edition and honestly I think it's priced about right.
#
Many thanks @dezoris for your thoughtful responses to our questions.

Any chance you could upload that technical slide stack Nissan gave you? I'm sure the forum admin would love to make it a sticky.
When I get back in town Ill export it.

M.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Where does that leave Z? Its the only doublewishbone car. its a tuner car like the previous 350/370 It has high overhead for tuning. It will be flying with minor work. And as it stands its already fast and connected to drive. It feels Nissan and represents the last of its kind for Japanese GTs.

What would I change? Swap Nismo pads or BBK. Tires of course and alignment. Maybe real coilovers for track. It would be all good.
This is what still gets me glued to these posts on this forum. I really have to drive one to compare to my GT PP2. Definitely better pads, high temp fluid, TIRES, corner balance and maybe coilovers if needed.

Great inputs @dezoris ! That connected feeling really wakes up the car, you think, both on street and track?

theboosh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
XV
Thanks for the great review + video, pretty amazing effort! I think you really captured some of the things that drew me to this car. Last time I had a sports car was ~10 years ago, and I definitely found without being on a track, there's only so many times you can go flat out before running out luck. I'd been looking for something else, hired out a 911, and had fun in that thing even just sitting at 50mph--it was continually engaging to drive. I've found that some fast cars can comparatively feel like you're driving a Playstation....amazingly quick, but just lacking connection--they're almost too good. So, I think the era we're heading into there are going to be plenty of faster cars--if it was all about 0-60 this is a pretty silly time to spend money on a petrol car rather than an EV.

I think in the future people will really miss cars that offer some sort of connection, you can see they've really tried to ensure this is there with the Z, plus the design effort that's gone into it and tying in with the heritage is really pretty unique.

nisslover

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Sedan 6-spd
It's not like they developed a new engine for the Z. At least that would be somewhat understandable.

Y'all need to stop using inflation as an excuse. That's been blown out the water already (or do I need to keep bringing up the Corvette or even the Supra?). The base price for a 370Z was $30k. I can understand a $5k jump to the base 2023 Z but $10k is hard to justify, and a $20k jump to the only other trim level is just ridiculous. The Proto price I'm ok with. It's an extremely limited edition and honestly I think it's priced about right.
No... they didn't develop it completely new for the Z... but it is a much lower production engine that's only used in two other low production, more expensive vehicles and not based on an engine that is sold in hundreds of thousands of cars (the VQ). Never mind the tech upgrades made to the car.

Simply put, there's no way they could bring this to market at $35k and it be a viable business decision. That's just not realistic.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
No... they didn't develop it completely new for the Z... but it is a much lower production engine that's only used in two other low production, more expensive vehicles and not based on an engine that is sold in hundreds of thousands of cars (the VQ). Never mind the tech upgrades made to the car.

Simply put, there's no way they could bring this to market at $35k and it be a viable business decision. That's just not realistic.
Lower production engine and tech that already exists slapped onto a chassis that, again, already exists doesn't equal the HIGH increase in price. I don't like the fact the base price went up almost $10k but I can stomach that better than the $50k price for the performance. The Z has been touted as the "affordable sports car" forever... this ain't affordable for most fans any more.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I think in the future people will really miss cars that offer some sort of connection, you can see they've really tried to ensure this is there with the Z, plus the design effort that's gone into it and tying in with the heritage is really pretty unique.
Hit the nail on the head...👍

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
It never was touted to cost $30k. That was said by some part-timer idiot at a car show.
Well aware of that. I've thought from the start it would be $40k. Doesn't mean I like it.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
You've made your views clear. Why let the matter consume any more of your time?

Jog on.
Because I feel like it? Maybe because I'm pissed about it? Who cares?

Don't like it? Jog on.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
It's still gonna sell. I don't doubt that at all. Just because it sells doesn't mean it's priced where it should be. It's not a $50k car.
If it’s not worth 50k then people wouldn’t buy it…like anything an antique, a limited edition, a piece of art work…it’s only worth what people will pay.
And if people pay 50k then it’s worth it to them…therefore it’s worth it

May not be worth it to you but it is to us and you won’t convince us otherwise, at this point your just venting your anger to the wrong people and it won’t change what is

Last edited:

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
If it’s not worth 50k then people wouldn’t buy it…like anything an antique, a limited edition, a piece of art work…it’s only worth what people will pay.
People are gonna pay that much because it's a new Z. Hell, I know people that paid over $50k for the Evo X when it first came out. Just because they paid that much doesn't make it worth that much.

Nissan has always touted the Z as an affordable sports car. Where did that affordability go? The increase in price for a performance model Z is absolutely ridiculous. $50k isn't affordable for most people. Hell, $40k is barely affordable for most people.

I'm all for people paying whatever they want to pay for whatever they want. Not my money so I don't give a single fuck. What I DO give a fuck about is my money. I think Nissan priced the Z into competition that beats it and priced it way higher than the sum of its parts. If this was a new chassis, new engine, etc. I'd be more for the price increase.

It fucking sucks because I'm a huge Z fan and have wanted to buy a new one since about five years into the 370Z. I just cannot stomach paying $50k. I really hope they release more models that have what I want at a better price.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
That's true...ish. If the early adopters cause the first run to sell well but the vehicle runs out of steam in a few years or fails to convert the normies, would we say that it has failed, then? Or was it still worth it to structure the price this way? I think it's more of a gamble than Nissan needed to take, but maybe it's temporary. Perhaps the lineup will eventually change. In fact, I'd bet that it will.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
People are gonna pay that much because it's a new Z. Hell, I know people that paid over $50k for the Evo X when it first came out. Just because they paid that much doesn't make it worth that much.

Nissan has always touted the Z as an affordable sports car. Where did that affordability go? The increase in price for a performance model Z is absolutely ridiculous. $50k isn't affordable for most people. Hell, $40k is barely affordable for most people.

I'm all for people paying whatever they want to pay for whatever they want. Not my money so I don't give a single fuck. What I DO give a fuck about is my money. I think Nissan priced the Z into competition that beats it and priced it way higher than the sum of its parts. If this was a new chassis, new engine, etc. I'd be more for the price increase.

It fucking sucks because I'm a huge Z fan and have wanted to buy a new one since about five years into the 370Z. I just cannot stomach paying $50k. I really hope they release more models that have what I want at a better price.
Same wavelength, evidently 😂

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Because I feel like it? Maybe because I'm pissed about it? Who cares?

Don't like it? Jog on.

A huge Z fan that won’t pay 4.5k more than what was expected…come on
To be honestI get the disappointment but I don’t get the hate for less than 5k more than what you were expecting, it’s not like it’s 10k plus.

As to what it’s worth I stick by what I said, it’s worth what people will pay and plenty will…after all there are people who will pay thousands of dollars for a mass produced Lego set …it’s worth what people will pay, end of.

You Say you don’t want it to disappear but wont support the development changes that were made, you say your an enthusiast that wants a car to stay…but here you are trashing it and attempting to make people feel bad because they do think it’s worth it.

Last edited: