First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
The easy proof will be if they sell or not.
It's still gonna sell. I don't doubt that at all. Just because it sells doesn't mean it's priced where it should be. It's not a $50k car.

dezoris

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Buguatti Trax
Occupation
CUV Enthusiast
It's still gonna sell. I don't doubt that at all. Just because it sells doesn't mean it's priced where it should be. It's not a $50k car.
Keep saying that, almost every modern car is not the money it should be. But thats how it is now. If people buy them price is justified on the business end.

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
And this right here is the problem. It's not yet they price it like it is.
As I've said before, the V6 TT is costly to manufacture. The car is made on the same assembly line as the GT-R in Japan. It's not made somewhere like Mexico. Inflation jacked the cost up as well. Nissan isn't a charity organization and they have to make money.

Guff

First Name
Guff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
This will be a car that you will have to really put your butt in the seat to understand, I think. I was a skeptic at first but a lot of people calling it old-school but with sharper edges than its predecessors has me feeling positive. I didn't mind the 350Z, but it was an old, cheap car by the time I got around to it; the 370Z was very lackluster, but the New Z seems like it finally is a shot on target for the modern Z car. Might just be the first Nissan I'll ever own. But in like 3-5 years though when I know they're not exploding, it's still a Nissan after all.

Can't wait to drive one! Nice work @dezoris

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
At around min 23:10 Melissa is talking about launch control with the manual tranny and she says it has "power on" shifting with wide open throttle, sounds like the "no lift shift" in some other sports cars where you keep the gas pedal floored in between shifts. I hadn't noticed this feature being discussed or pointed out by anyone before.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Keep saying that, almost every modern car is not the money it should be. But thats how it is now. If people buy them price is justified on the business end.
Almost every modern performance car is priced roughly where it should be. Not the Z. 45k would've been pretty spot on. The Z has NEVER been stupid expensive. That was one of it's best selling points. Only time you were paying out the ass was for a Nismo.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
As I've said before, the V6 TT is costly to manufacture. The car is made on the same assembly line as the GT-R in Japan. It's not made somewhere like Mexico. Inflation jacked the cost up as well. Nissan isn't a charity organization and they have to make money.
It's not like they developed a new engine for the Z. At least that would be somewhat understandable.

Y'all need to stop using inflation as an excuse. That's been blown out the water already (or do I need to keep bringing up the Corvette or even the Supra?). The base price for a 370Z was $30k. I can understand a $5k jump to the base 2023 Z but $10k is hard to justify, and a $20k jump to the only other trim level is just ridiculous. The Proto price I'm ok with. It's an extremely limited edition and honestly I think it's priced about right.

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
At around min 23:10 Melissa is talking about launch control with the manual tranny and she says it has "power on" shifting with wide open throttle, sounds like the "no lift shift" in some other sports cars where you keep the gas pedal floored in between shifts. I hadn't noticed this feature being discussed or pointed out by anyone before.
A few reviewers have mentioned it.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Topher's video has a great demonstration of it.

Nice boat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
Thank you for the hard work, I was skeptical about the 50k price tag before watching your review, but after seeing how much effort nissan has put into developing this car and the feedback that you guys had. I think the price is fully justified. I'm sure the sales volume of this car will prove that it is 100% worth the price, can't wait to get one myself.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
If you got a 40k Z did an LSD, tires, pads and maybe dampers you will be flying for 46k.
If I bought a brand new 40k car and put another 6k in it, My wife would make me sleep in the car for a LOOONG time! 🤣

The car may be worth 50k, but unfortunately that's above my current budget. I either need the price for the performance to come down or my budget to get bigger, which I don't see happening with the cost of everything else going up.

Great review, though. Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing how you feel the car behaves on the street.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Anyone who says the 86 has a better motor than this car is nuts. Jack has a GR86 and I spent the last week driving it and while its amazing for the price, compared to the Z it feels slow motion.

Jack was saying even if you spent 10k on an 86 it wont be as fast as a Z. If you got a 40k Z did an LSD, tires, pads and maybe dampers you will be flying for 46k.

I will say this again, get out there and drive the car. Its better than the 370 in every way and a good mix between a GT and what the 86 is. Feels far more livable and less claustrophic than Supra. Toyota pulled the ultimate PR move to sh*t on Nissans parade with manual announcement, so who knows when that car will be available.

Is the Z a quantum leap forward? No and we don't need that right now. BMW, Hyundai, Audi, Mercedes and everyone else is swinging for fences with everything being hyper electromechanical, this feels older school in a good way. Im not sure what people expected here?
Jack has a GR86. I currently own a BRZ. Where and when can I buy a new Z? (I don't have connections, and don't pay ADM or "required" dealer installed items.) 2023, 2024, or even later? Maybe the Z will come with an AARP card? ;) And I wonder by then, what will MSRP be.

Besides price, that's the crux of the matter. Totally appreciate the reviewers sharing their opinions, having fun driving the Z around. But a car the average guy has little chance of getting anytime soon (or ever) at the stated prices, is of little use. Regardless of how nice in theory the car might be.

I feel like this might end up deja vu with another vehicle I wanted - the mythical Ford Bronco. (That already jumped 2k in price before most people could even get at the original MSRP.)

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Many thanks @dezoris for your thoughtful responses to our questions.

Any chance you could upload that technical slide stack Nissan gave you? I'm sure the forum admin would love to make it a sticky.