First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z Performance (Black)
Occupation
Market Research
I see someone understands the dark side of LSD.

Most people think LSD makes a RWD vehicle safer.
As someone who has not wrecked my Performance yet, but this is my first RWD (and with an LSD).. What is the dark side of the LSD and is there anything I .. shouldn't .. be doing, or any tips? lol

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
As someone who has not wrecked my Performance yet, but this is my first RWD (and with an LSD).. What is the dark side of the LSD and is there anything I .. shouldn't .. be doing, or any tips? lol
LSD prevents "one wheel peel".
If you know how that works, you can use it to your advantage, especially on dry roads.

One wheel peel is safer in almost all case because whilst one rear wheel is slipping due to overpowering (no traction), the other rear wheel, which isn't spinning faster than the surface, can help to maintain lateral control. It also reduces the ability to gain any more speed as engine power is wasted on the one slipping wheel.

But, with LSD, if both rear wheels exceed rear traction limits and begin spinning faster than the surface they're on, you begin to lose most of the lateral stability. No big deal in a straight line.
However, if the conditions are poor and/or you are really overdoing it, something like road crown can pull the rear of your vehicle out of line, usually into a curb. Or, if you do it mid-corner or have any sideways momentum stored in the chassis, that momentum can pull the rear end around.

Of course, try hard enough and you can do that in a non-LSD RWD too, but in inclement conditions, LSD can really catch you off guard.

Several new Z owners have mentioned that the Z sometimes feels like it wants to "swap ends"
That's a normal feeling from a powerful RWD vehicle when it approaches the limits and both rear wheels lose traction.

You can mitigate the uneasy feeling by practicing, in a safe area, what your car does when you overdo it. I strongly suggest you do that before you find out on the street. You can control it, but only if you're accustomed to it and not caught off guard.

I had HLSD installed on my truck, and it became much more of a handful on wet roads, it can be fun, but now that my son has begun driving, I'm going to need to teach him how to deal with that. The rear will come around, even at moderate speeds when the torquey V8 easily spins BOTH rear wheels. The truck was much "safer" when it was open diff

Last edited:

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
January 2023. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Less than a week of ownership. With as little as 16km on the clock (10 miles) This Z got wrecked by someone else driving the car with traction control off and "never have driven a car with more than 120hp"
Cold weather, presence of snow on the roads all led to the cars ultimate demise.

Not sure on VIN number. The owner did have plans to try and fix it.

https___www.carscoops.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_01_xxxx_paul-1-1024x762.jpg

https___www.carscoops.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_01_xxxx_paul-2-1024x759.jpg

https___www.carscoops.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_01_xxxx_paul-4-1024x759.jpg

https___www.carscoops.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_01_xxxx_paul-5-1024x763.jpg

https___www.carscoops.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_01_xxxx_paul-6-1024x764.jpg

https___www.carscoops.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_01_xxxx_paul-7-1024x759.jpg

https___www.carscoops.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_01_xxxx_paul-8-1024x759.jpg

MindScape

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z Performance (Black)
Occupation
Market Research
LSD prevents "one wheel peel".
If you know how that works, you can use it to your advantage, especially on dry roads.

One wheel peel is safer in almost all case because whilst one rear wheel is slipping due to overpowering (no traction), the other rear wheel, which isn't spinning faster than the surface, can help to maintain lateral control. It also reduces the ability to gain any more speed as engine power is wasted on the one slipping wheel.

But, with LSD, if both rear wheels exceed rear traction limits and begin spinning faster than the surface they're on, you begin to lose most of the lateral stability. No big deal in a straight line.
However, if the conditions are poor and/or you are really overdoing it, something like road crown can pull the rear of your vehicle out of line, usually into a curb. Or, if you do it mid-corner or have any sideways momentum stored in the chassis, that momentum can pull the rear end around.

Of course, try hard enough and you can do that in a non-LSD RWD too, but in inclement conditions, LSD can really catch you off guard.

Several new Z owners have mentioned that the Z sometimes feels like it wants to "swap ends"
That's a normal feeling from a powerful RWD vehicle when it approaches the limits and both rear wheels lose traction.

You can mitigate the uneasy feeling by practicing, in a safe area, what your car does when you overdo it. I strongly suggest you do that before you find out on the street. You can control it, but only if you're accustomed to it and not caught off guard.

I had HLSD installed on my truck, and it became much more of a handful on wet roads, it can be fun, but now that my son has begun driving, I'm going to need to teach him how to deal with that. The rear will come around, even at moderate speeds when the torquey V8 easily spins BOTH rear wheels. The truck was much "safer" when it was open diff
Thank you for the thorough & detailed reply. I did notice the car had a tendency on a hard pull making a left turn to slip and pull the rear end out. I learned quick off that to not listen when someone yells “go already!” In the passenger seat, when I’m still getting used to RWD and 400hp 🤣 (came from a WRX where I could floor it on any corner and barely even think about it)

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
everyone take notice that the hood poppers are engaged on both those Zs...
Those hood poppers scare me. Every time I carefully open my hood so as not to damage the base of the A pillar, it's like they're giving me a menacing look, "We're gonna pop someday, buddy".

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
everyone take notice that the hood poppers are engaged on both those Zs...

Darkhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Those hood poppers scare me. Every time I carefully open my hood so as not to damage the base of the A pillar, it's like they're giving me a menacing look, "We're gonna pop someday, buddy".
How does one open the hood carefully? I thought this was a matter of alignment, and if yours is bad then you will get contact and paint chips. I figured if its put together right this wont happen. (mine is cool so far)

But is there a wrong way to open the bonnet (hood) that might increase the chances of this issue occurring? Does it flex or what's the go?

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
How does one open the hood carefully? I thought this was a matter of alignment, and if yours is bad then you will get contact and paint chips. I figured if its put together right this wont happen. (mine is cool so far)

But is there a wrong way to open the bonnet (hood) that might increase the chances of this issue occurring? Does it flex or what's the go?
My comment was mostly meant to be a joke, but @MCN1SMO mentions that scraping may not happen every time in this thread.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO

The hand placement changes the tension and angle.

So if you open it and it starts to rub or you can hear the rubber seal squeak adjusting your hand placement actually works. Basically it's right on the line for clearance

If you open the hood more on one side it can rub

Last edited:

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon
Geesh… it’s bad enough that there’s still a limited supply of the new Z, without folks cutting it back even further with bone-headed driving. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
supra93

supra93

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Occupation
Pastry Chef