Sponsored

Recently installed Z1 oil pan leaking

SleepyD7

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Apr 17, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
70
Reaction score
102
Location
Gainesville Florida
Car(s)
2024 Manual Nissan Z Performance, 2013 Nissan Xterra, 2020 Lexus IS3050
Occupation
Audio Video Integration Sales
I hope the gasket re-installation fixes 2Cool's leak.

RE: Salty Z1 fan boy

There is literally nothing wrong with the way Z1 conducts it's business. I think their very reasonable prices do reflect the quality of their China manufactured products. They have done a bang up job expanding all Q and Z's fan base and offering undoubtedly the widest selection of parts bar none. I'm glad they exist.

Bottom line, aside from a couple of high end, cad designed, in-house fabricated parts: Z1's standard bolt on product offerings (especially their suspension components) are entry level at best. Manufactured by the lowest bidder. That's why their prices are so good. Rep it bra.
 
Last edited:

NorthSaltJake

Active Member
First Name
Jake
Joined
Jan 21, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
44
Reaction score
88
Location
SLC, UT
Car(s)
23’ Nissan Z Performance, 26’ Audi S3, 26’ Audi RS3
Occupation
Director of Technology & Operations
I hope the gasket re-installation fixes 2Cool's leak.

RE: Salty Z1 fan boy

There is literally nothing wrong with the way Z1 conducts it's business. I think their very reasonable prices do reflect the quality of their China manufactured products. They have done a bang up job expanding all Q and Z's fan base and offering undoubtedly the widest selection of parts bar none. I'm glad they exist.

Bottom line, aside from a couple of high end, cad designed, in-house fabricated parts: Z1's standard bolt on product offerings (especially their suspension components) are entry level at best. Manufactured by the lowest bidder. That's why their prices are so good. Rep it bra.
LOL. You think you're being clever, but moving goalposts to "entry-level suspension parts" just proves you can't argue the actual mechanics of an oil pan. Aluminum doesn’t magically warp three weeks after an install. You guys are so desperate to circlejerk about Z1 that you’ll ignore reality.

Enjoy repping your Dorman pan and Alibaba carbon, "bra."
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,336
Reaction score
1,946
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
Nobody is saying warpage is definitely what happened, just one possibility, along with bolt tightness, the plane of the mating surface, or the gasket. Bolts and/or gasket are the most likely two and exactly where I'd start with the diagnosis.
 

TexasZee

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 21, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
81
Reaction score
64
Location
Texas
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance
Z1 has QC issues.

IMG_2788.2.webp
 
OP
OP
DBZinTN

DBZinTN

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
May 20, 2026
Threads
8
Messages
118
Reaction score
182
Location
Tennessee
Car(s)
2026 Nissan Z Heritage Edition
Occupation
Technical Sales
Well Z1 and Z forum, I owe an apology for the alarmist jumping to conclusion post. Turns out the gasket was torn in two places. I guess I could have jostled the gasket a bit when mating the lower pan to the upper.

In hindsight, I recall the gasket being a balled up mess. Doing again, I would install the gasket and let pan sit for a day, maybe helping gasket learn the bends. I'd also install the plate bolts a day ahead, letting the red Loctite cure. And mating lower to upper pan, be as even as possible, get four perimeter bolts hand tight to keep pan in place, then install all bolts and tighten per pattern.

Learning experience.. cheers,

20260712_123317.webp

20260712_123340.webp
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,336
Reaction score
1,946
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
Well Z1 and Z forum, I owe an apology for the alarmist jumping to conclusion post. Turns out the gasket was torn in two places. I guess I could have jostled the gasket a bit when mating the lower pan to the upper.

In hindsight, I recall the gasket being a balled up mess. Doing again, I would install the gasket and let pan sit for a day, maybe helping gasket learn the bends. I'd also install the plate bolts a day ahead, letting the red Loctite cure. And mating lower to upper pan, be as even as possible, get four perimeter bolts hand tight to keep pan in place, then install all bolts and tighten per pattern.

Learning experience.. cheers,

20260712_123317.webp

20260712_123340.webp
I'm glad you found the issue! You can reuse your stock gasket if you still have it.
 

haohmaru

Well-Known Member
First Name
Gregory
Joined
Apr 8, 2025
Threads
13
Messages
200
Reaction score
317
Location
New England
Car(s)
24 Z Perf / 13 WRX
I ended up finding a slow leak on mine too. I reinstalled the original OEM gasket and retorqued everything. No more leak. Can't say if it was the new gasket or I just didn't install the Z1 gasket correctly. Definitely not an issue with the pan itself though.
 

trackratZ

Well-Known Member
First Name
August
Joined
Mar 23, 2021
Threads
101
Messages
2,826
Reaction score
5,424
Location
So CA
Car(s)
25 Z Perf 6MT, Cayman S (track), MX5 Club (autox)
Occupation
Software security
Still looking for solid options. Does the Dorman have similar gasket issues like the Z1? Overall leary about Z1 products, may sell my still-in-box catch can and go Mishimoto.....
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,336
Reaction score
1,946
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
Still looking for solid options. Does the Dorman have similar gasket issues like the Z1? Overall leary about Z1 products, may sell my still-in-box catch can and go Mishimoto.....
No issues with my Dorman pan, gasket, or magnetic drain plug.
 

Who.Am.Eye.2716

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Feb 16, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
744
Reaction score
841
Location
WA State
Car(s)
Z
Still looking for solid options. Does the Dorman have similar gasket issues like the Z1? Overall leary about Z1 products, may sell my still-in-box catch can and go Mishimoto.....
Nothing wrong with the Z1 catch can. Dont use the supplied allen key screwdriver. That will strip the hardware.
 

haohmaru

Well-Known Member
First Name
Gregory
Joined
Apr 8, 2025
Threads
13
Messages
200
Reaction score
317
Location
New England
Car(s)
24 Z Perf / 13 WRX
Still looking for solid options. Does the Dorman have similar gasket issues like the Z1? Overall leary about Z1 products, may sell my still-in-box catch can and go Mishimoto.....
Just go with the Dorman. Seems to do the job and is cheaper than the others. No one ever sees it anyway. Probably what I would have done had I seen it first.

I can recommend the Z1 catchcan, well made, hoses are molded correctly and get the drain hose attachement, easy draining and gives you extra volume. I drain the can every 5k and have been getting about 2oz.
 

SleepyD7

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Apr 17, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
70
Reaction score
102
Location
Gainesville Florida
Car(s)
2024 Manual Nissan Z Performance, 2013 Nissan Xterra, 2020 Lexus IS3050
Occupation
Audio Video Integration Sales
Just a reminder of this fool's sage Z1 product advice:

LOL. You think you're being clever, but moving goalposts to "entry-level suspension parts" just proves you can't argue the actual mechanics of an oil pan. Aluminum doesn’t magically warp three weeks after an install. You guys are so desperate to circlejerk about Z1 that you’ll ignore reality.

Enjoy repping your Dorman pan and Alibaba carbon, "bra."
 
 






Top